I've compiled the 'p4b_smbus' hotplug-module from the lm_sensors package
to get access to the sensor chips of my motherboard. The module compiles
and links fine. I'm able to load the module and it seems to work as well
(at least lsmod reports a loaded module and the sensors are accessible).

However, depmod reports unresolved symbols on that module:

[rootdiablo root]# depmod -e
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-18.9/kernel/drivers/char/p4b_smbus.o
depmod: pci_insert_device
depmod: pci_setup_device
depmod: kmalloc
depmod: pci_remove_device
depmod: pci_enable_device
depmod: pcibios_present
depmod: pci_read_config_word
depmod: kfree
depmod: pci_find_device
depmod: pci_write_config_word
depmod: printk
[rootdiablo root]# modprobe p4b_smbus
[rootdiablo root]# lsmod | grep p4b_smbus
p4b_smbus 2720 0 (unused)
[rootdiablo root]#

Some may ask why thinking about something which seems to work but for some
reason I want to know what is going on here.

Is it possible that these symbols are included in the binary but never
used when running the module? How can I remove these symbols from the
binary in that case?

Ciao, Meph