Professional Web Applications Themes

Desiccant for fungus prevention - Photography

"Sugob" <noSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message news:SQ5Pa.24118$H17.6462sccrnsc02... > Has anyone used a moisture absorber product called Zorb-it? Claims to be > better than silica gel and never needs "renewed". What does "renewed" mean? It shounds like advertiser hype. > I've also been told to get > kitty litter Too dusty, needs lots of volume and needs replacement. > or flower dryer and make my own packets. Not always the same product from one manufacturer to another. Most are silica gel, but some also have a dust problem. > Do coffee filters work > as a membrane? Sure for coffee grounds. I ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Desiccant for fungus prevention

    "Sugob" <noSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > Has anyone used a moisture absorber product called Zorb-it? Claims to be
    > better than silica gel and never needs "renewed".
    What does "renewed" mean? It shounds like advertiser hype.
    > I've also been told to get
    > kitty litter
    Too dusty, needs lots of volume and needs replacement.
    > or flower dryer and make my own packets.
    Not always the same product from one manufacturer to another. Most are
    silica gel, but some also have a dust problem.
    > Do coffee filters work
    > as a membrane?
    Sure for coffee grounds. I would not suggest it for protecting camera
    equiptment, too much dust and not very strong.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan Guest

  2. #2

    Joseph Meehan wrote:

    > "Sugob" <noSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Has anyone used a moisture absorber product called Zorb-it? Claims to be
    > > better than silica gel and never needs "renewed".
    >
    > What does "renewed" mean? It shounds like advertiser hype.
    >
    > > I've also been told to get
    > > kitty litter
    >
    > Too dusty, needs lots of volume and needs replacement.
    >
    > > or flower dryer and make my own packets.
    >
    > Not always the same product from one manufacturer to another. Most are
    > silica gel, but some also have a dust problem.
    >
    > > Do coffee filters work
    > > as a membrane?
    >
    > Sure for coffee grounds. I would not suggest it for protecting camera
    > equiptment, too much dust and not very strong.
    >
    > > Any better suggestions?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Dan

    And just to add that if you do use silica gel, don't breath in the dust
    as it's supposed to have a similar effect on the lungs as asbestos. Best
    to buy it from one of the manufacturers pre-packaged in cotton bags.

    Any dessicant, including silica gel is pretty useless after a short time
    if it's not in a sealed container with the equipment and will need to be
    reactivated for a few hours in a hot oven...

    Chris
    Chris Quayle Guest

  3. #3

    Joseph Meehan <sligojoeSPAM2hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Sugob" <noSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Has anyone used a moisture absorber product called Zorb-it? Claims to be
    > > better than silica gel and never needs "renewed".
    >
    > What does "renewed" mean? It shounds like advertiser hype.
    Yes....If it never has to be renewed, that means it will eventually either
    become a pool of water, or it will have to be thrown away and be
    repurchased.....Either way, this is not an advantage.

    William Graham Guest

  4. #4

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 04:21:07 GMT, "Sugob" <noSPAMcomcast.net> wrote:
    >Has anyone used a moisture absorber product called Zorb-it? Claims to be
    >better than silica gel and never needs "renewed". I've also been told to get
    >kitty litter or flower dryer and make my own packets. Do coffee filters work
    >as a membrane? Any better suggestions?
    Hm, I don't think they actually claim that Zorb-it is *better* than
    silica gel. They claim it absorbs much more water than silica gel.
    That's not the same thing as "better". The important thing in humidity
    control is the humidity in the air, not the amount of water in the
    adsorbent.

    [url]http://www.zorb-it.com/[/url]

    Zorb-it takes in water and then expels it, so it averages out the
    humidity over time.

    If you have a camera sitting in a ventilated box containing Zorb-it,
    and it is a cool wet morning, the stuff absorbs water and reduces the
    humidity in the air. The reduction won't be that much, because there
    is always more wet air entering, and anyway it takes time to pull that
    water out of the air. But it will reduce it.

    In the process of doing that, the Zorb-it becomes loaded with
    moisture.

    Later, if it is a hot dry afternoon, the Zorb-it dries out partially.
    The water it loses goes into the air in the box and increases the
    humidity. Not really what we want, but the air is pretty dry now,
    remember, so it will be okay.

    So overall, the stuff does not lower the relative humidity, it only
    takes out the highs and the lows.

    You can seal the box too. If you put fresh dry Zorb-it in, it will
    work a lot like silica gel, creating a real dry atmosphere... at least
    until it becomes loaded with water.

    Zorb-it might be beneficial if your relative humidity varies a lot,
    and if the air flow into the box is just right and the amount of
    Zorb-it is large... but I suspect the benefit is small.

    If your relative humidity does not vary much, then the stuff is
    useless.

    Silica gel with indicator particles works great. You need to keep the
    container sealed. When the gel is spent, it needs to be regenerated.
    You can do that by heating in the oven. Follow the supplier's
    directions.

    If you live in humid conditions especially with high ambient
    temperatures, it can be a real battle protecting your gear from
    humidity. Consult an expert on the subject.

    Avogadro
    Avogadro Guest

  5. #5

    In article <SQ5Pa.24118$H17.6462sccrnsc02>, [email]noSPAMcomcast.net[/email] says...
    > Has anyone used a moisture absorber product called Zorb-it? Claims to be
    > better than silica gel and never needs "renewed". I've also been told to get
    > kitty litter or flower dryer and make my own packets. Do coffee filters work
    > as a membrane? Any better suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dan

    When I was living in the Philippines in an un-airconditioned house, I
    just mounted a 40 watt light bulb in the cabinet I kept my equipment.
    The warmth drove down the humidity and tended to keep air moving. I
    also did not cover my equipment in the cabinet with anything but a towel
    to keep off dust. I suffered no problems, even though it was humid
    enough during the monsoon season to grow mildew on the living room
    walls.

    In Okinawa, in an air conditioned house, I didn't bother with any
    measures, nor did I in Hawaii.

    Generally, if you keep your equipment out of bags and cases when you're
    at home and take it out shooting fairly frequently, you should not
    suffer a fungus problem.

    --
    RDKirk

    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves
    up
    and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill
    RDKirk Guest

  6. #6

    mike II wrote:

    > Chris Quayle wrote:
    >
    > > Any dessicant, including silica gel is pretty useless after a short time
    > > if it's not in a sealed container with the equipment and will need to be
    > > reactivated for a few hours in a hot oven...
    >
    > Too long in the oven makes it lose it's flavour. Be careful..
    >
    > mike
    Yeah, definately a bit gritty and it doesn't help to soak it in water
    overnight either...

    Chris
    Chris Quayle Guest

  7. #7

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 23:40:39 GMT, RDKirk <com>
    wrote:

    >When I was living in the Philippines in an un-airconditioned house, I
    >just mounted a 40 watt light bulb in the cabinet I kept my equipment.
    >The warmth drove down the humidity and tended to keep air moving. I
    >also did not cover my equipment in the cabinet with anything but a towel
    >to keep off dust. I suffered no problems, even though it was humid
    >enough during the monsoon season to grow mildew on the living room
    >walls.
    >
    >In Okinawa, in an air conditioned house, I didn't bother with any
    >measures, nor did I in Hawaii.
    >
    >Generally, if you keep your equipment out of bags and cases when you're
    >at home and take it out shooting fairly frequently, you should not
    >suffer a fungus problem.[/ref]

    If you have equipment that you use rarely, such as a long telephoto
    lens, invest in a FoodSaver. It's a vacuum pump for sealing up food in
    plastic bags, but it also works great for protecting photo gear.
    Fungus can't exist in a vacuum, the humidity in a vacuum is next to
    nothing and dust can't get into the sealed plastic bag. It really
    works.

    S. Guest

  8. #8

    S. Anderson <net> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref][/ref]
    be [/ref][/ref]
    to get [/ref][/ref]
    work

    > >When I was living in the Philippines in an un-airconditioned house, I
    > >just mounted a 40 watt light bulb in the cabinet I kept my equipment.
    > >The warmth drove down the humidity and tended to keep air moving. I
    > >also did not cover my equipment in the cabinet with anything but a towel
    > >to keep off dust. I suffered no problems, even though it was humid
    > >enough during the monsoon season to grow mildew on the living room
    > >walls.
    > >
    > >In Okinawa, in an air conditioned house, I didn't bother with any
    > >measures, nor did I in Hawaii.
    > >
    > >Generally, if you keep your equipment out of bags and cases when you're
    > >at home and take it out shooting fairly frequently, you should not
    > >suffer a fungus problem.[/ref]
    >
    > If you have equipment that you use rarely, such as a long telephoto
    > lens, invest in a FoodSaver. It's a vacuum pump for sealing up food in
    > plastic bags, but it also works great for protecting photo gear.
    > Fungus can't exist in a vacuum, the humidity in a vacuum is next to
    > nothing and dust can't get into the sealed plastic bag. It really
    > works.
    >
    >[/ref]
    This is a really good idea.....It beats the hell out of a bell jar, vacuum
    pump, and dry nitrogen bottle, which was a former suggestion of mine. The
    food saver is cheap, and it will probably work just as well.......

    William Guest

  9. #9

    In article <TpjZa.74810$Oz4.16984rwcrnsc54>, net says...
    > This is a really good idea.....It beats the hell out of a bell jar, vacuum
    > pump, and dry nitrogen bottle, which was a former suggestion of mine. The
    > food saver is cheap, and it will probably work just as well.......
    >[/ref]

    Actually, no.

    A. You only get a very "soft" vacuum.
    B. Fungus needs only a trace of oxygen--in fact, too much oxygen is
    detrimental to fungal growth.
    C. You haven't removed the moisture from the remaining air. You've
    just trapped it with the fungus spores and just enough oxygen for their
    use.