Professional Web Applications Themes

design view in Dreamweaver MX04 messed up - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

I am using Dreamweaver MX 2004. I have tried to download at least 5 free CSS templates from various places. All of them have correct CSS code and they preview correctly in Internet Explorer, however my "Design View" is all messed up, nothing appears how it should. The alignment is all off, pieces are all over the place, nothing is as it should be. I have to modify a line or two, then preview in IE, the do it again and again after ever little change to make sure i am not ing the whole page up. That kind of ...

  1. #1

    Default design view in Dreamweaver MX04 messed up

    I am using Dreamweaver MX 2004. I have tried to download at least 5 free CSS
    templates from various places. All of them have correct CSS code and they
    preview correctly in Internet Explorer, however my "Design View" is all messed
    up, nothing appears how it should. The alignment is all off, pieces are all
    over the place, nothing is as it should be. I have to modify a line or two,
    then preview in IE, the do it again and again after ever little change to make
    sure i am not ing the whole page up. That kind of illiminates the whole
    purpose of Design mode. I am a visual person so staring at lines of code will
    not work for me, can anyone help. Serious answers only please.

    Please do not post "Learn the code" or any variation of that, i am slowly
    learning more about the CSS code, but for now its hard for me to see how it is
    applying to the design when the design mode is messing up so bad.:disgust;

    Adamtosman Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: design view in Dreamweaver MX04 messed up

    I'm afraid you are just stuck. DMX2004 was a beginner at rendering CSS
    layouts. Without learning the code, you will be flying blind.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "Adamtosman" <com> wrote in message

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    One thing I have run into is when there is a tag that isn't closed or when
    there is a tag closing that doesn't have the opening, Dreamweaver visually gets
    messed up even when browsers ignore the problem. This happens inadvertently
    sometimes when pasting text from a word processor such as Word Perfect. Can
    you validate your HTML and see if that shows any problems there. It makes it
    look like a CSS issue, but in my instance, it is not.

    You might look into some CSS editors. There are free and/or cheap ones out
    there and they can sometimes render your work much better than Dreamweaver. On
    the Mac, I use CSS Edit. It's almost a toy but it shows the results instantly,
    validates your CSS, and also autofills some values that give you a hint of
    guidance. I find it a gentle helping hand with CSS.

    websentia Guest