Professional Web Applications Themes

Designer locking mdb file... (file and dir GRANTS FULL CONTROL FOR "EVERYONE") - ASP.NET Data Grid Control

Here is an easy issue to reproduce: 1) Create a new project. 2) Drop a DataGrid control into the Page. Also drop a OleDbDataAdapter into the page. 3) Select "Configure Data Adapter..." and pick the NWind.mdb (for example). Go ahead and run through the wizard, selecting a table via sql query. Note that at the end of this a Nwind.ldb lock has been created in that dir. 4) Generate the Dataset and set the datagrid's datasource property to point to that dataset. 5) Run the page and notice that it cannot open the above mdb because of the above lock. ...

  1. #1

    Default Designer locking mdb file... (file and dir GRANTS FULL CONTROL FOR "EVERYONE")

    Here is an easy issue to reproduce:

    1) Create a new project.
    2) Drop a DataGrid control into the Page. Also drop a OleDbDataAdapter into
    the page.
    3) Select "Configure Data Adapter..." and pick the NWind.mdb (for example).
    Go ahead and run through the wizard, selecting a table via sql query. Note
    that at the end of this a Nwind.ldb lock has been created in that dir.
    4) Generate the Dataset and set the datagrid's datasource property to point
    to that dataset.
    5) Run the page and notice that it cannot open the above mdb because of the
    above lock.

    Like I mentioned the nwind.mdb and it's dir both grant FULL CONTROL to the
    "Everyone" account, so that's not the issue.

    In fact, if you close VS and reopen, the above lock will be released and the
    page could be run without any problem.

    So, the quesiton is why does the Data Adapter Wizard create a lock and NOT
    release it when it's done?

    Surely, having to reopen VS.Net after setting up a connection to an mdb file
    is not very elegant. Has this been recognized as a bug? If so, are there
    workarounds? I am implementing a custom control and don't mind applying some
    workarounds there.

    Thanks in advance.
    -Praveen

    Praveen Guest

  2. #2

    Hi Praveen,

    Thanks for your posting. Regarding on this issue, I've found another
    duplicated thread in microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet and I have
    posted reply there. I'd appreciate if you have a look there. In addition,
    if you feel convenient that we continue to discuss in that thread, please
    feel free to post there.

    Kevin Yu
    =======
    rights."

    Kevin Yu [MSFT] Guest

  3. #3

    Kevin,

    I didn't find this other reply you mention in the aspnet newsgroup! Could
    you please double check?

    Thanks
    Praveen

    "Kevin Yu [MSFT]" <v-kevyonline.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Praveen,
    >
    > Thanks for your posting. Regarding on this issue, I've found another
    > duplicated thread in microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet and I have
    > posted reply there. I'd appreciate if you have a look there. In addition,
    > if you feel convenient that we continue to discuss in that thread, please
    > feel free to post there.
    >
    > Kevin Yu
    > =======
    > "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    > rights."

    Praveen Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Praveen,

    I posted a reply on your another thread in
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet. I'm just reposting it here for
    you to read.

    First of all, I would like to confirm my understanding of your issue. From
    your description, I understand that when you have configured an
    OleDbDataAdapter, it still connects the the .mdb file. If there is any
    misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

    As far as I know, this is by design. Because when we configured the
    OleDbDataAdapter, we also added a new OleDbConnection object. When the
    OleDbConnection object is added, a new Data Connection will be added to
    Server Explorer. We will see the connection there.

    To workaround this issue, we have to open the Server Explorer. Right click
    on the connection and select Close Connection.

    HTH.

    Kevin Yu
    =======
    rights."

    Kevin Yu [MSFT] Guest

  5. #5

    Kevin,

    That worked. Thanks for the info. Has this been doented some where that I
    missed? Seems like it will throw off first time users though. Any chance the
    behavior will be any different in Whidbey?

    > Hi Praveen,
    >
    > I posted a reply on your another thread in
    > microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet. I'm just reposting it here for
    > you to read.
    >
    > First of all, I would like to confirm my understanding of your issue. From
    > your description, I understand that when you have configured an
    > OleDbDataAdapter, it still connects the the .mdb file. If there is any
    > misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.
    >
    > As far as I know, this is by design. Because when we configured the
    > OleDbDataAdapter, we also added a new OleDbConnection object. When the
    > OleDbConnection object is added, a new Data Connection will be added to
    > Server Explorer. We will see the connection there.
    >
    > To workaround this issue, we have to open the Server Explorer. Right click
    > on the connection and select Close Connection.
    >
    > HTH.
    >
    > Kevin Yu
    > =======
    > "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    > rights."

    Praveen Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Praveen,

    It was nice to known that the information helps. This behavior is by
    design, but I don't know if it is doented. Since VS.NET 2005 hasn't been
    released, we're still not quite sure if the behavior will be changed. So we
    have to use this workaround temporarily.

    Sorry for the inconvenience.

    Kevin Yu
    =======
    rights."