Professional Web Applications Themes

Desperate to convert Word doents into PDF doents - Adobe Acrobat Windows

This describes my problem. I have Windows XP Home and Word 2002. The problem seems to have begun to occur after I downloaded updates to 5.0 from the Acrobat site. As happens sometimes with Windows, I waited for the problem to be identified by others and a fix be circulated via updates. That has not occurred. RVaughan...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Desperate to convert Word doents into PDF doents

    R_Vaughan@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    If you have the same problem, you can start by answering the same
    questions.

    There will be no further updates to Acrobat 5.

    Aandi Inston
    Aandi_Inston@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    What version of Windows do you have? XPHome

    Do Ctrl+Alt+Delete. Do you see something called "Acrotray" or "Acrobat assistant" in the task list? NO
    R_Vaughan@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    > Do you see something called "Acrotray" or "Acrobat assistant" in the task list? NO

    That will account for the problem. Try Help > Detect and repair in
    Acrobat. If that doesn't fix it, uninstall then reinstall.

  5. #5

    Under Help in Adobe Acrobat 5.0, I find only "Detect and Remove". Where might I find, "Detect and Repair"?

    Also, if I must uninstall and reinstall, would I then need also to download any fixes or updates that exist since the CD was pressed? Where would this be?

    Thanks for your prompt attention.

  6. #6

    >Under Help in Adobe Acrobat 5.0, I find only "Detect and Remove". Where might I find, "Detect and Repair"?

    Sorry, that's a 6.0 thing.

    >Also, if I must uninstall and reinstall...
    With 5.0, first try a reinstall without uninstalling (would have done
    no good with 6.0). Do a custom install, select Distiller only.

  7. #7

    Thanks. I did an install of Distiller without an uninstall. Still the problem persists. Word locks up during the printing to distiller process.

    "Do Ctrl+Alt+Delete. Do you see something called "Acrotray" or "Acrobat assistant" in the task list?"

    Yes, I now see Acrotray. I did not prior to the install. There are also indications that 2 Words are running. I do not know if that is as it should be or not.
    R_Vaughan@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    We too have this problem. And from what I hear, it is a common problem.

    " That will account for the problem. Try Help > Detect and repair in
    Acrobat. If that doesn't fix it, uninstall then reinstall.

    Aandi Inston"

    Are you refering to Acrobat Reader 6? Because Adobe Acrobat 5 does not have this option (even after updates).

    Do you work for Adobe Aandi?
    SIGA@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I should also mention the program has been installed, uninstalled and re-installed 3 times.
    SIGA@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Siga, thanks for commenting.
    1. What is your operating system?
    2. What version of word or office?
    3. Do you know when or what caused this on your computer? Mine seemed to occur after I downloaded an Adobe update but I am not certain.
    4. Good question. I assumed that Aandi Inston is with Adobe. As I look back there is nothing to indicate this.

  11. #11

    If Acrotray is now running, and printing still locks up, unfortunately
    I have no idea what the remaining problem may be.

    No, I do not work for Adobe.

  12. #12

    Start by creating a prn file using the dsitiller printer.
    IN word go to file>print select distiller as your printer.
    Then select print to file, then click on properties.

    IN the proerties dialog box click on he pdfsettings tab and deselect the option 'do not send fonts..' click ok and print.
    Save the prn file on your desktop.

    Launch the distiller application via start>programs, ow drag and drop the prn file over the distiller window. Does that create a pdf on the desktop?

    If not is there an error msg in the distiller log window and a log file created?
    de_Siem@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    de Siem, thank for your help. NO CHANGE. I did click on "Print to File" and I unchecked "do not send fonts". I clicked OK.

    The message at the bottom of the Word window was "Word is preparing to background print the doent". The progress bar is half across. The hour glass is still showing. Control/Alt/Delete Windows Task Manager shows Word not responding.

    Otherwise Word seems to work very well.

    I appreciate your help.

  14. #14

    does the same happen with a new word doc?
    de_Siem@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Yes, or any other file I try to print to Distiller. I have tried emails, publisher files, Excel files.....
    R_Vaughan@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    You tried the print to file method in those instances right?

    If so then remove Acrobat 5 from the system using the following doent:
    <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2aad6.htm>

    re-install Acrobat making sure no anti-virus software is running when you do. once it's install check the version opf Acrobat via help>about acrobat. If it does not mention acrobat 5.05 in the top left corner then download and install the 5.05 update as well.

    then try again.
    de_Siem@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    I do appreciate your help. I shall give this a go tonight and let you know. When I did an uninstall and install last week, I forgot to disengage my Norton Antivirus.

  18. #18

    Try this

    Ok this is how I cured the exact same problem. and I didn't use the
    acrobat update, works fine with Acrobat 5.0

    Step 1: Make sure Office xp is installed on your computer 1st then
    Acrobat 2nd

    Step 2 : Navigate to My Computer -Local Disc -Program Files -Adobe-
    Acrobat 5- PDF Maker- Then right click and Copy PDFMAKER Microsoft
    Word Template 128kb.

    Step 3 : Same again navigate to Program Files- Microsoft Office
    Folder- Office10- Startup- now paste your copy of PDFMAKER Microsoft
    Word Template in here.

    Its as easy as that.

    Oh yeah when you start up Word make sure - Tools- Templates and
    Add-Ins , that the PDFMaker.dot is ticked if the buttons dont show
    straight away.

    [email]R_Vaughanadobeforums.com[/email] wrote in message news:<2cd0b37f.1webx.la2eafNXanI>...
    > This describes my problem. I have Windows XP Home and Word 2002. The problem seems to have begun to occur after I downloaded updates to 5.0 from the Acrobat site.
    >
    > As happens sometimes with Windows, I waited for the problem to be identified by others and a fix be circulated via updates. That has not occurred.
    >
    > RVaughan
    javatiger Guest