Professional Web Applications Themes

detect change of remote page - PHP Development

hi everyone, i have some links on my site, i need to be absolutely sure that the html has not been modified, even one character. i would rather not rely on http headers, just the html (so it is not dependant on the webserver). should i make a database to actually mirror the page, and then check against my copy? any better ideas? :) thanks...

  1. #1

    Default detect change of remote page

    hi everyone,

    i have some links on my site, i need to be absolutely sure that the
    html has not been modified, even one character. i would rather not
    rely on http headers, just the html (so it is not dependant on the
    webserver). should i make a database to actually mirror the page, and
    then check against my copy? any better ideas? :)

    thanks
    will taubin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: detect change of remote page

    --
    Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.

  3. #3

    will taubin:
    > hi everyone,
    >
    > i have some links on my site, i need to be absolutely sure that the
    > html has not been modified, even one character. i would rather not
    > rely on http headers, just the html (so it is not dependant on the
    > webserver). should i make a database to actually mirror the page, and
    > then check against my copy? any better ideas? :)
    Checksum the file, and store the checksum locally. Then you can verify the
    file against this checksum when you access it. md5() is ok for this
    purpose.

    André Nęss
    André Nęss Guest

  4. #4

    André Nęss <andrena.spamreallysifi.uio.no> wrote in message news:<bpjkk3$h8q$1maud.ifi.uio.no>...
    > will taubin:
    >
    > > hi everyone,
    > >
    > > i have some links on my site, i need to be absolutely sure that the
    > > html has not been modified, even one character. i would rather not
    > > rely on http headers, just the html (so it is not dependant on the
    > > webserver). should i make a database to actually mirror the page, and
    > > then check against my copy? any better ideas? :)
    >
    > Checksum the file, and store the checksum locally. Then you can verify the
    > file against this checksum when you access it. md5() is ok for this
    > purpose.
    >
    > André Nęss
    thanks, but if i generate a checksum, then later download the file
    again to compare the checksums, will the timestamps affect the new
    checksum? or is it generated only based on the content of the file?
    will taubin Guest

  5. #5

    > Checksum the file, and store the checksum locally. Then you can verify the
    > file against this checksum when you access it. md5() is ok for this
    > purpose.

    If you are using Windows, the Advanced CheckSum Verifier from
    [url]http://www.irnis.net[/url] is just for you :)
    Irnis Haliullin Guest

  6. #6

    will taubin:
    > André Nęss <andrena.spamreallysifi.uio.no> wrote in message
    >> will taubin:
    >>
    >> > hi everyone,
    >> >
    >> > i have some links on my site, i need to be absolutely sure that the
    >> > html has not been modified, even one character. i would rather not
    >> > rely on http headers, just the html (so it is not dependant on the
    >> > webserver). should i make a database to actually mirror the page, and
    >> > then check against my copy? any better ideas? :)
    >>
    >> Checksum the file, and store the checksum locally. Then you can verify
    >> the file against this checksum when you access it. md5() is ok for this
    >> purpose.
    >>
    >> André Nęss
    >
    > thanks, but if i generate a checksum, then later download the file
    > again to compare the checksums, will the timestamps affect the new
    > checksum? or is it generated only based on the content of the file?
    It's generated based on whatever you input, so as long as you only input the
    contents, and this doesn't change, you're ok.

    André Nęss

    André Nęss Guest