Professional Web Applications Themes

Developing ASP.NET in mostly Mac environment - Adobe Dreamweaver & Contribute

I am fairly new to online database development, but am attempting to build a database driven system for monitoring testing and scores for an online test. The client has Windows Servers using ASP.NET, but my company only has 1 PC in house running WinXP, the rest are Macs. Is there a way for me to build this on a Mac and test it on the WinXP machine? I've already installed IIS on the PC as instructed in the Dreamweaver Getting Started doentation. I've run the test by typing 'http://graphics/myTestFile.html' into the browser on both the WinXP machine and on another ...

  1. #1

    Default Developing ASP.NET in mostly Mac environment

    I am fairly new to online database development, but am attempting to build a
    database driven system for monitoring testing and scores for an online test.
    The client has Windows Servers using ASP.NET, but my company only has 1 PC in
    house running WinXP, the rest are Macs. Is there a way for me to build this on
    a Mac and test it on the WinXP machine? I've already installed IIS on the PC
    as instructed in the Dreamweaver Getting Started doentation. I've run the
    test by typing 'http://graphics/myTestFile.html' into the browser on both the
    WinXP machine and on another PC in house, and it seems to be working fine. My
    Mac however is not going to connect I assume?

    digitaljbuer Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Developing ASP.NET in mostly Mac environment

    > I am fairly new to online database development, but am attempting to build
    > database driven system for monitoring testing and scores for an online
    test.
    > The client has Windows Servers using ASP.NET, but my company only has 1 PC
    in
    > house running WinXP, the rest are Macs. Is there a way for me to build
    this on
    > a Mac and test it on the WinXP machine?
    Yes, but you'd have to code everything by hand and you couldn't compile any
    of the code (thereby taking advantage of that speed in .net)

    I'm a mac user myself, but recently started doing .net at work.

    At home, for freelance projects, it made the most sense for me to just fork
    out the dough for a $500 PC + VisualStudio.net + XP pro.

    In the long run, I'll save a lot more money having that set up than fighting
    doing it by hand on a Mac.

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest

  3. #3

    Running a test by entering 'http://graphics/myTestFile.html' doesn't
    actually prove that ASP.Net is install correctly as html pages are pd by
    the browser and go nowhere near the .net engine. To test properly you need
    to create a file with a .aspx extension and try to view that.

    --
    Regards

    Paul Whitham
    Macromedia Certified Professional for Dreamweaver MX2004
    Valleybiz Internet Design
    [url]www.valleybiz.net[/url]

    Team Macromedia Volunteer for Ultradev/Dreamweaver MX
    [url]www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia[/url]

    "digitaljbuer" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I am fairly new to online database development, but am attempting to build
    > database driven system for monitoring testing and scores for an online
    test.
    > The client has Windows Servers using ASP.NET, but my company only has 1 PC
    in
    > house running WinXP, the rest are Macs. Is there a way for me to build
    this on
    > a Mac and test it on the WinXP machine? I've already installed IIS on the
    PC
    > as instructed in the Dreamweaver Getting Started doentation. I've run
    the
    > test by typing 'http://graphics/myTestFile.html' into the browser on both
    the
    > WinXP machine and on another PC in house, and it seems to be working fine.
    My
    > Mac however is not going to connect I assume?

    Paul Whitham TMM Guest

  4. #4

    How difficult is Visual Studio? I think it's probably easiest just to do it on the PC then. Besides I can use my copy of Macromedia Studio on the PC as well...
    Thanks
    digitaljbuer Guest

  5. #5

    > How difficult is Visual Studio?

    It's just a helper to write .net for you. If you know .net, it's pretty
    easy.

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest