Professional Web Applications Themes

Developing dynamic libraries with Xcode - Mac Programming

Given that if someone is developing a dynamic library, that library needs to be installed some where that the system will find it when a program using that library tries to use the library. Does Xcode have any support for installing a dynamic library after it builds the library to support testing?...

  1. #1

    Default Developing dynamic libraries with Xcode

    Given that if someone is developing a dynamic library, that library
    needs to be installed some where that the system will find it when a
    program using that library tries to use the library. Does Xcode have
    any support for installing a dynamic library after it builds the
    library to support testing?
    Tron Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Developing dynamic libraries with Xcode

    In article <google.com>,
    net (Tron Thomas) wrote:

    There are some options for this in the same place where you turn on/off
    ZeroLink etc., I think. "Deployment post-processing" strips the file,
    but there's another ("install"? "copy to install location"?) which I
    think should do what you want.

    Two more options would be using a Shell Script Build Phase to cp the
    built executable over, or using the xcodebuild command-line tool to
    install it (see the xCode docs). I vaguely remember that there used to
    be a script in xCode's "script" menu that takes care of the latter. Have
    you checked for that?

    Cheers,
    -- M. Uli Kusterer
    http://www.zathras.de
    Uli Guest

  3. #3

    Uli Kusterer <de> wrote in message news:<t-online.com>...

    I found some options in the Get Info for the Project. I'm not sure
    which ones need to be set to cause anything to get installed. Also,
    it seems kind of inflexible that you can't configure this on a per
    target basis. I might want to install a library and not install an
    executable, both of which are targets in the same project.

    I checked and there is an "Install a Project" script located in the
    Code section of the scripts menu. I could not figure out how to use
    it. No matter what I selected in the project, the menu item for the
    script was always grayed out.
    Tron Guest

  4. #4

    What about debugging process. Is there anything in the project management
    that let you configure which program to start and debug from it?

    Denis

    "Tron Thomas" <net> wrote in message

    > I found some options in the Get Info for the Project. I'm not sure
    > which ones need to be set to cause anything to get installed. Also,
    > it seems kind of inflexible that you can't configure this on a per
    > target basis. I might want to install a library and not install an
    > executable, both of which are targets in the same project.
    >
    > I checked and there is an "Install a Project" script located in the
    > Code section of the scripts menu. I could not figure out how to use
    > it. No matter what I selected in the project, the menu item for the
    > script was always grayed out.[/ref]

    Denis Guest

  5. #5

    On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Denis Work wrote:

    Under the Project menu, select "New Custom Executable", and you can set up
    any executable on the system to debug. Select one which uses your library,
    and you're all set to debug.
    Michael Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks a lot...

    Since you are much more acquinted than I am.

    When I try to look at global variables in the expression it says that it
    does not know the type???

    The other thing that prevent me from using it, is when I have C string or
    unistring I cannot see their values?

    Is there some settings for that ?

    Denis

    "Michael Ash" <com> wrote in message
    news:twistedsys.net... [/ref]
    management

    > Under the Project menu, select "New Custom Executable", and you can set up
    > any executable on the system to debug. Select one which uses your library,
    > and you're all set to debug.[/ref]

    Denis Guest

  7. #7

    On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Denis Work wrote:

    For whatever reason, gdb often doesn't know the types of various things.
    When that happens, just tell it. In this case, type something like:
    print (int)globalInt

    I've never had problems with that, using "print someCString". I don't know
    if they show up in the GUI or not; the debugger GUI has so many problems
    that I mostly ignore it.
    Michael Guest

  8. #8

    yes, it works that way thanks.

    I am mostly a GUI type of gui.
    I just don't have a memory for tiedious typing... but I see your point.

    > For whatever reason, gdb often doesn't know the types of various things.
    > When that happens, just tell it. In this case, type something like:
    > print (int)globalInt
    > [/ref]
    or

    > I've never had problems with that, using "print someCString". I don't know
    > if they show up in the GUI or not; the debugger GUI has so many problems
    > that I mostly ignore it.[/ref]

    Denis Guest