Professional Web Applications Themes

DHCP malfunction on AirPort base station? - Mac Applications & Software

Using the DHCP server integrated in an AirPort base station (Extreme, firmware level 5.1) to configure a small LAN, I find that on each reboot of the base station all machines are given new IP addresses. This is not how DHCP is supposed to work -- the specification states expressly that DHCP leases must survive a reboot of the server. Since AirPort reboots can't be avoided altogether this is a major nuisance (the NetInfo "machines" entries must be updated to reflect the new IP addresses). Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround? Anno...

  1. #1

    Default DHCP malfunction on AirPort base station?

    Using the DHCP server integrated in an AirPort base station (Extreme,
    firmware level 5.1) to configure a small LAN, I find that on each
    reboot of the base station all machines are given new IP addresses.
    This is not how DHCP is supposed to work -- the specification states
    expressly that DHCP leases must survive a reboot of the server.

    Since AirPort reboots can't be avoided altogether this is a major
    nuisance (the NetInfo "machines" entries must be updated to reflect
    the new IP addresses).

    Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround?

    Anno
    Anno Siegel Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: DHCP malfunction on AirPort base station?

    Anno Siegel <anno4000lublin.zrz.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
    > Using the DHCP server integrated in an AirPort base station (Extreme,
    > firmware level 5.1) to configure a small LAN, I find that on each
    > reboot of the base station all machines are given new IP addresses.
    > This is not how DHCP is supposed to work -- the specification states
    > expressly that DHCP leases must survive a reboot of the server.
    >
    > Since AirPort reboots can't be avoided altogether this is a major
    > nuisance (the NetInfo "machines" entries must be updated to reflect
    > the new IP addresses).
    >
    > Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround?
    Use manual (static) addresses on the client machines. The Extreme Base
    Station will still do NAT for the machines on its subnet that use it as
    a router, even if those machines don't use the base station as a DHCP
    server.
    Neill Massello Guest

  3. #3

    Neill Massello <nmasselloearthlink.net> wrote in comp.sys.mac.system:
    > Anno Siegel <anno4000lublin.zrz.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
    >
    > > Using the DHCP server integrated in an AirPort base station (Extreme,
    > > firmware level 5.1) to configure a small LAN, I find that on each
    > > reboot of the base station all machines are given new IP addresses.
    > > This is not how DHCP is supposed to work -- the specification states
    > > expressly that DHCP leases must survive a reboot of the server.
    > >
    > > Since AirPort reboots can't be avoided altogether this is a major
    > > nuisance (the NetInfo "machines" entries must be updated to reflect
    > > the new IP addresses).
    > >
    > > Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround?
    >
    > Use manual (static) addresses on the client machines. The Extreme Base
    > Station will still do NAT for the machines on its subnet that use it as
    > a router, even if those machines don't use the base station as a DHCP
    > server.
    Ah, that's good to know. When I tried static addressing I could configure
    my LAN just fine, but couldn't get "out" on the Internet. "No NAT", I
    shrugged... But that was an upgrade or two ago. It works now, I'm using
    the setup as I type. Thanks for pointing it out.

    I admit I'd prefer DHCP (not the least of the reasons being "because
    it's cool"), but manual configuration is much preferable to being dealt
    a new hand of IP numbers each time the AirPort boots. My LAN is in no
    immediate danger of uncontrollable growth...

    Thanks again,

    Anno
    Anno Siegel Guest