On my home network I have two laptops that get DHCP configuration from
the DSL router. Sometimes-- if my Mac is online, and my wife then wakes
up her iBook, I get a dialog box reading:

IP Configuration

10.0.0.2 in use by FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF, DHCP Server 10.0.0.1

The "FF:" is actually the MAC id of my wife's Airport card.

When this happens, I *think* the first address (10.0.0.2 above) is the
IP address I had been using. But I then lose that address, and get
another one. And of course all network connections are interrupted.
The weird thing, though, is that my wife's iBook doesn't take over the
address I had been using; this just happened a few minutes ago, and
she's got 10.0.0.3 while I've been moved up to 10.0.0.4.

The second IP address above (10.0.0.1) is the DSL router.

Why does this happen, and is there anything I can do about it? The DSL
router is a Cisco 675, if that matters, and both Macs are running
10.2.6. The Airport base station is not doing DHCP, it's just acting as
a bridge.

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
See [url]http://www.atomicbird.com/[/url]