Professional Web Applications Themes

Dialog parent - Mac Programming

How do we set the parent relation of a dialog. From the sample in C++ it is not obvious or not intended to be. Here is what I want to do, I need to set a dialog (sheet or not) in relation to another. Thanks in advance....

  1. #1

    Default Dialog parent

    How do we set the parent relation of a dialog.

    From the sample in C++ it is not obvious or not intended to be.

    Here is what I want to do, I need to set a dialog (sheet or not) in relation
    to another.

    Thanks in advance.

    Denis Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dialog parent

    In article <vif.com>, "Denis Work" <net>
    wrote:

    I do not understand what you are trying to do.

    meeroh

    Miro Guest

  3. #3

    Yes, I can understand I am having that headhacke too.

    Erase all that and let me retry.

    I have a dialog, inside I start another dialog and in that one I show an
    alertbox.
    Everything works fine, ecxept if I click another application and comme back
    my entire application is disabled.

    Now, I beleived that it was a parent child relation problem, but I currently
    have a doubt.

    What do you think?

    Denis

    "Miro Jurisic" <org> wrote in message
    <net> [/ref]
    relation

    > I do not understand what you are trying to do.
    >
    > meeroh
    >
    > --
    > If this message helped you, consider buying an item
    > from my wish list: <http://web.meeroh.org/wishlist>
    >[/ref]

    Denis Guest

  4. #4

    In article <vif.com>, "Denis Work" <net>
    wrote:

    I think that your UI design is awful and you should start over with some design
    that does not pile dialogs on top of each other like that.

    meeroh

    Miro Guest

  5. #5

    I just see something that ressemble a lot like the functionality I am
    looking for.

    Say, you use the 'save as' standard, then you press the button <Create
    folder> if the folder already exist it shows up a warning dialog. if I
    click on another app and come back everything is fine.

    Now that being said, those are all modal on top of each others.
    It has a one to one relation to my design, just the topic changed.
    That means there is nothing wrong with my design.
    The problem is elsewhere. probably, most certainly from my lack of
    experience in this system.

    Perhaps, there is something I missed in the doc.
    Perhaps, the sample I got (from Apple), was wrong in the first place.

    Thanks,

    Denis

    "Miro Jurisic" <org> wrote in message
    <net> [/ref]
    and [/ref]
    currently

    > I think that your UI design is awful and you should start over with some[/ref]
    design

    Denis Guest

  6. #6

    In article <vif.com>,
    "Denis Work" <net> wrote:

    It doesn't actually "mean" that. Something that's applicable, or at
    least the least bad solution, in one cirstance isn't necessarily
    appropriate anywhere else. And it's not 1:1 with what you described as
    your design.

    Perhaps. But you still have not really answered Meeroh's question well
    enough for us to help meaningfully, I think.

    --
    Standard output is like your butt. Everyone has one. When using a bathroom,
    they all default to going into a toilet. However, a person can redirect his

  7. #7

    > It doesn't actually "mean" that. Something that's applicable, or at
    > least the least bad solution, in one cirstance isn't necessarily
    > appropriate anywhere else. And it's not 1:1 with what you described as
    > your design.
    >[/ref]
    What does it mean then?
    What makes you say that it is not 1:1?

    Speaking of design, denying multiple modal dialogs as a valid design does
    not prevent it from happening.
    It just makes it a taboo. I am seeing a lot of big software doing it.
    That reminds the old and overstated "goto" philosophy.

    > Perhaps. But you still have not really answered Meeroh's question well
    > enough for us to help meaningfully, I think.
    >[/ref]
    Well, that would have been hard for me to explain further,
    since I had no clue how it is being done on other software,
    lack of example in this area. I admitted my lack of experience and knowledge
    of the internnal piping for the Mac windows/dialogs/events management.

    Now, I do have a better understanding, so I solved the problem.

    Denis

    "Gregory Weston" <com> wrote in message

    > It doesn't actually "mean" that. Something that's applicable, or at
    > least the least bad solution, in one cirstance isn't necessarily
    > appropriate anywhere else. And it's not 1:1 with what you described as
    > your design.

    > Perhaps. But you still have not really answered Meeroh's question well
    > enough for us to help meaningfully, I think.
    >
    > --
    > Standard output is like your butt. Everyone has one. When using a[/ref]
    bathroom,
    his

    Denis Guest

  8. #8

    In article <vif.com>,
    "Denis Work" <net> wrote:

    > > It doesn't actually "mean" that. Something that's applicable, or at
    > > least the least bad solution, in one cirstance isn't necessarily
    > > appropriate anywhere else. And it's not 1:1 with what you described as
    > > your design.
    > >[/ref]
    > What does it mean then?[/ref]

    Read what I wrote before your respond. Just because a design is
    acceptable for one task doesn't mean it's applicable for any other. So
    _if_ Apple had done what you described as your design, it has no bearing
    whatsoever on whether there's anything wrong with your design unless
    you're doing _exactly_ the same thing.

    You're not doing exactly the same thing, and you described a different
    number of layers of modal dialog.

    No it doesn't. And releasing a platform and operating system that never
    had a Y2K problem didn't prevent one of the largest software vendors in
    the world from releasing Mac software with a Y2K issue in 1998. You're
    absolutely right. Nothing Apple says or does can keep you from creating
    and releasing a steaming pile of modality if you're dead set on doing
    it. But unless you've got a captive user base, the product is pretty
    much doomed and a few months after you release we'll see one more
    developer talking about how the fact that their product didn't sell
    "means" the Mac market is not viable when what it really means is that
    crap software isn't viable in the Mac market. (cf Lotus 1-2-3 and
    PowerBuilder.)

    It might remind you of that, but the similarity in the cirstances is
    extremely tenuous.

    > > Perhaps. But you still have not really answered Meeroh's question well
    > > enough for us to help meaningfully, I think.
    > >[/ref]
    > Well, that would have been hard for me to explain further,
    > since I had no clue how it is being done on other software,[/ref]

    Yes, but what is "it?" When you say parent window, I think of a couple
    different UI models that might be described that way, but none of them
    seemed relevant to the bits and pieces you revealed of what you're
    trying to accomplish. As with a prior question, maybe you're using
    domain vocabulary differently than we're used to hearing it and what you
    want to do is completely reasonable.