Professional Web Applications Themes

Didnt take bleeding into consideration - Adobe Indesign Windows

Working on my first InDesign project, I stupidly didnt take bleeding into consideration. What I would ideally like to do now is to scale down my page size by 3-4mm but preserve the size of the images on the page. (I am working mostly with bitmaps. That way they would all in their original fsize just be hanging over the reduced-sized page. However when I decrease the size of the page in the doent setup, the BM images automatically become smaller (I guess there is no need to mention that here...!) Is there a way as one could do, as ...

  1. #1

    Default Didnt take bleeding into consideration

    Working on my first InDesign project, I stupidly didnt take bleeding into consideration. What I would ideally like to do now is to scale down my page size by 3-4mm but preserve the size of the images on the page. (I am working mostly with bitmaps. That way they would all in their original fsize just be hanging over the reduced-sized page. However when I decrease the size of the page in the doent setup, the BM images automatically become smaller (I guess there is no need to mention that here...!) Is there a way as one could do, as in Photoshop or even better Flash, decrease the canvas size and leave whatever is hanging over the "canvas edges" as bleed. I realise I have got myself into a kinda dumb situation and top-of-the-range programmes mostly dont allow for correction of "insightless" actions. But who knows, may someone knows of a work-around the problems I created for myself. Thanks for your time
    Iskender
    iskenderuna Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Didnt take bleeding into consideration

    Sounds like you need to make use of the layers palette.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Are you sure you want to scale it down? Assuming you are printing on the
    same size paper as you intended, you would need to scale things up to add
    bleed. And then you risk type being too near the edge. How much is bleeding?
    Why not just go through the doent and increase the size of anything that
    is intended to bleed by enough to hang over the edge?

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    The type is not a problem - there isnt too much of it and a bit of scaling here and there reagrding that would be ok. I also dont mind if the "canvas" is scaled down by 1 - 2%. (An exact size isnt too important for me) The graphics shouldnt scale down of course - you're right.
    Its kinda hard to increase the graphics size - as the whole layout is a kinda tiled affair......and with some of the graphics being not particularly good printing quality (I have already n some of them up to 300dpi) I am a little worried in increasing their size even more.
    Prolly just gonna have to print without bleeds and hope the printer has a fine eye when it comes to cutting!!
    iskenderuna Guest

  5. #5

    I have already n some of them up to 300dpi

    Why did you do that?

    All that does is add more pixels, increases the file size and makes ripping time take a lot longer but it doesn't improve the quality.

    Don't change the resolution to get better quality, that's not going to work.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Yeah well its done now. Picked the hint off another forum - opinion obviously varies. ANyway too much work to down-size the resolution now - so thats just gonna have to stay! But thanks for all your help - I have kinda sorted out the problem!
    iskenderuna Guest

  7. #7

    Picked the hint off another forum

    Would you mind telling us what forum told you that? I'm curious to know where you got that misleading information.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    It wasnt an Adobe Forum but in a Forum run by another software company operating in the same field. I think its a little immaterial as to where I read it and who gave me the wrong info. It doesnt change my problem and that is what it is actually all about here (of course not only my problem). So lets stick to helping and not running witch hunts! I have managed to solve my problem so I think we can safely end this thread. Thanks nevertheless for the input.
    Isk
    iskenderuna Guest