Professional Web Applications Themes

Difference between ASP & PHP - PHP Development

I doubt about the difference between ASP & PHP. Some people say that PHP is faster than ASP and PHP is the free equivalant of ASP. An other difference between PHP and ASP would be that PHP is free and ASP is the Microsoft paid equivalant. Do you know what are the differences or if the above one's are true? I hope you have an answer for me, thanks already for reading this! Grtz, Peter van Rijt - The Netherlands -= Excuse me for my bad English. -=...

  1. #1

    Default Difference between ASP & PHP

    I doubt about the difference between ASP & PHP.

    Some people say that PHP is faster than ASP and PHP is the free equivalant
    of ASP.
    An other difference between PHP and ASP would be that PHP is free and ASP is
    the Microsoft paid equivalant.

    Do you know what are the differences or if the above one's are true?

    I hope you have an answer for me, thanks already for reading this!

    Grtz,
    Peter van Rijt - The Netherlands

    -= Excuse me for my bad English. -=

    Peter van Rijt Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Difference between ASP & PHP

    Peter van Rijt wrote:
    > I doubt about the difference between ASP & PHP.
    >
    > Some people say that PHP is faster than ASP and PHP is the free equivalant
    > of ASP.
    > An other difference between PHP and ASP would be that PHP is free and ASP
    > is the Microsoft paid equivalant.
    >
    > Do you know what are the differences or if the above one's are true?
    >
    > I hope you have an answer for me, thanks already for reading this!
    >
    > Grtz,
    > Peter van Rijt - The Netherlands
    >
    > -= Excuse me for my bad English. -=
    First of all PHP is multi-platform, ASP runs only on windows based systems
    as I am aware, ASP also uses a load of COM objects which are rather slow,
    so yes it is true that PHP is faster than ASP but obviously depends on what
    you are doing.

    ~Cameron
    Cameron Guest

  3. #3

    ASP is based on Microsoft Visual Basic whereas PHP is based on C/C++/PERL.

    Basically PHP was meant to run on a *NIX platform (although there are
    windows distributions) and ASP will only run on a Windows machine.

    In the end it is possible to achieve more or less the same results, they
    just do it in quite different ways.

    I would seriously say that the previous post is correct in saying that ASP
    is probably slower.

    --
    Chris Dingman
    Webmaster

    Now selling officially licensed Cabaret Theatre merchandise
    "Cameron" <devnulldevnull.invalid> wrote in message
    > Peter van Rijt wrote:
    >
    > > I doubt about the difference between ASP & PHP.
    > >
    > > Some people say that PHP is faster than ASP and PHP is the free
    equivalant
    > > of ASP.
    > > An other difference between PHP and ASP would be that PHP is free and
    ASP
    > > is the Microsoft paid equivalant.
    > >
    > > Do you know what are the differences or if the above one's are true?
    > >
    > > I hope you have an answer for me, thanks already for reading this!
    > >
    > > Grtz,
    > > Peter van Rijt - The Netherlands
    > >
    > > -= Excuse me for my bad English. -=
    >
    > First of all PHP is multi-platform, ASP runs only on windows based systems
    > as I am aware, ASP also uses a load of COM objects which are rather slow,
    > so yes it is true that PHP is faster than ASP but obviously depends on
    what
    > you are doing.
    >
    > ~Cameron

    Chris Dingman Guest

  4. #4

    Chris Dingman wrote:
    > ASP is based on Microsoft Visual Basic whereas PHP is based on C/C++/PERL.
    >
    > Basically PHP was meant to run on a *NIX platform (although there are
    > windows distributions) and ASP will only run on a Windows machine.
    >
    > In the end it is possible to achieve more or less the same results, they
    > just do it in quite different ways.
    >
    > I would seriously say that the previous post is correct in saying that ASP
    > is probably slower.
    >

    > --
    > Chris Dingman
    > Webmaster
    > Cabaret Theatre
    > [url]http://www.cabarettheatre.org[/url]
    >
    > Now selling officially licensed Cabaret Theatre merchandise
    <snip>

    Not exactly true that ASP is based on MS Visual Basic, as you can use
    Javascript for ASP as well as other languages, ASP is not a language its
    self, it's like an interface to the server a "container" for a scripting
    language.

    ~Cameron
    Cameron Guest

  5. #5

    And Asp.Net, like JSP, is a true object-oriented way of doing things, wheres
    our (in php) "object-orientation," is rather ad-hoc. Ironically, php
    requires perhaps the least other software on a server vs. the other two
    ways. -Ike

    > Chris Dingman wrote:
    >
    > > ASP is based on Microsoft Visual Basic whereas PHP is based on
    C/C++/PERL.

    > > Basically PHP was meant to run on a *NIX platform (although there are
    > > windows distributions) and ASP will only run on a Windows machine.
    > >
    > > In the end it is possible to achieve more or less the same results, they
    > > just do it in quite different ways.
    > >
    > > I would seriously say that the previous post is correct in saying that
    ASP
    > > is probably slower.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Chris Dingman
    > > Webmaster
    > > Cabaret Theatre
    > > [url]http://www.cabarettheatre.org[/url]
    > >
    > > Now selling officially licensed Cabaret Theatre merchandise
    > <snip>
    >
    > Not exactly true that ASP is based on MS Visual Basic, as you can use
    > Javascript for ASP as well as other languages, ASP is not a language its
    > self, it's like an interface to the server a "container" for a scripting
    > language.
    >
    > ~Cameron

    Ike Guest

  6. #6

    > First of all PHP is multi-platform, ASP runs only on windows based systems
    > as I am aware, ASP also uses a load of COM objects which are rather slow,
    > so yes it is true that PHP is faster than ASP but obviously depends on
    what
    > you are doing.
    there is such a thing as apache asp which runs on *nix servers but having
    never used it or know much about asp I don't know if there are many
    differences between this and the windows version

    Filth Guest

  7. #7

    hi,

    php is more like scripting language and asp an platform that supports few
    languages (c#, c++, vb, ..).

    php is easier to lern but also less powerful than asp (asp.net uses .net
    framework with all functions).

    php is free, asp does cost (too much).

    php runs under windowz and unixoid-OS, asp needs MS IIS, so it's bound to
    the windowz.

    php is great for smaller projects..

    php rulez :D

    regards,

    "Peter van Rijt" <petervanrijtchello.nl> wrote in message
    > I doubt about the difference between ASP & PHP.
    >
    > Some people say that PHP is faster than ASP and PHP is the free equivalant
    > of ASP.
    > An other difference between PHP and ASP would be that PHP is free and ASP
    is
    > the Microsoft paid equivalant.
    >
    > Do you know what are the differences or if the above one's are true?
    >
    > I hope you have an answer for me, thanks already for reading this!
    >
    > Grtz,
    > Peter van Rijt - The Netherlands
    >
    > -= Excuse me for my bad English. -=

    Daniel Andislic Guest

  8. #8

    ASP can run on Unix also with java pr, Chilisoft or others modules. It's
    not the best solution but still almost all the features of asp work fine. As
    you said, it's true that asp is more robust with .Net framework and run
    better. With Win2003 Server, ASP.NET outperform Apache+PHP by far, as IIS
    is embedded in the kernel of the system and ASP is compiled but php is just
    pd, unless you have Zend.

    [url]http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/3294371[/url]
    [url]http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/10825_3074841_2[/url]

    ASP itself is not a language, you have to choose a language to create asp
    page. But most use vbscript, c++ or c#. They are all more Object Oriented
    Programming than PHP, PHP5 is not yet close to OOP but is by far very good.
    But the problem with ASP is it is not suited for small projects because it's
    longuer to code and you have to create lot of Object COM and define their
    properties.

    Like when you need to send mail...

    ASP:
    'Create Variable Before to Use (a must in asp with option explicit)
    Dim Message
    'Create CDO message object
    Set Message = CreateObject("cdonts.NewMail")
    Message.To = GetTo
    Message.Subject = GetSubject
    Message.Body = GetBody
    Message.MailFormat = 1
    Message.BodyFormat = 1
    'Send the message (message wont send it you dont tell him to send)
    Message.Send
    'Clear the Object CDO memory (destruction)
    Set Message = Nothing

    PHP:
    mail("$to", "$subject", "$body", "$header");

    To copy files...

    ASP:
    ' We call the FileSystemObject and tell it to move the file, then we
    destruct it after
    ' FileSystemObject can not only copy file, but can move file and delete
    also. He can handle almost everything you want to do with files.
    Set fso = Server.CreateObject( "Scripting.FileSystemObject" )
    fso.CopyFile( "e:\\webdev\\testarea\\testfile.txt",
    "d:\\webserver\\wwwroot\\docs\\testfile.txt", true )
    Set fso = Nothing

    PHP:
    cp("$src", "$des");

    In a beginner way to explain this, I can say ASP works with creating object
    that will do our work, all we have to do is to define him and tell him what
    to do. PHP work more like just function that are defined to do the thing we
    want to do, when you need to mail, you call mail(), when you need to copy,
    you call cp(), when you need to delete, you call unlink(). For some it's
    more confusing than ASP, but for others it's an advantage as it's simplier
    as you need need to know who can do what. I hope this will help most people
    to understand.

    Savut

    Savut Guest

  9. #9

    *** Mistyping last post***

    but for others it's an advantage as it's simplier as you *need* need to know
    who can do what.

    but for others it's an advantage as it's simplier as you dont need to know
    who can do what.

    Savut

    Savut Guest

  10. #10

    Daniel Andislic wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > php is more like scripting language and asp an platform that supports few
    > languages (c#, c++, vb, ..).
    >
    > php is easier to lern but also less powerful than asp (asp.net uses .net
    > framework with all functions).
    >
    > php is free, asp does cost (too much).
    >
    > php runs under windowz and unixoid-OS, asp needs MS IIS, so it's bound to
    > the windowz.
    >
    > php is great for smaller projects..
    >
    > php rulez :D
    >
    > regards,

    <snip>

    PHP is less powerful than ASP???

    Explain what parts of PHP are less powerful than ASP

    ~Cameron
    Cameron Guest

  11. #11

    Less powerful is a very broad term...Less powerful in what sense? To do
    what? On what type of system?

    --

    > Daniel Andislic wrote:
    >
    > > hi,
    > >
    > > php is more like scripting language and asp an platform that supports
    few
    > > languages (c#, c++, vb, ..).
    > >
    > > php is easier to lern but also less powerful than asp (asp.net uses .net
    > > framework with all functions).
    > >
    > > php is free, asp does cost (too much).
    > >
    > > php runs under windowz and unixoid-OS, asp needs MS IIS, so it's bound
    > > the windowz.
    > >
    > > php is great for smaller projects..
    > >
    > > php rulez :D
    > >
    > > regards,
    > >
    > <snip>
    >

    > PHP is less powerful than ASP???
    >
    > Explain what parts of PHP are less powerful than ASP
    >
    > ~Cameron

    Chris Dingman Guest

  12. #12

    PHP is interpreter itself and its less powerful then ASP dot NET by default.
    Im not talkin about previuos ASP framework
    Besides PHP is restricted by build-in funtions and extentions.
    In ASP.NET framework you have full access to all system resources through hi
    or low level API functions.

    This is simple answer.

    "Cameron" <devnulldevnull.invalid> wrote in message

    > PHP is less powerful than ASP???
    >
    > Explain what parts of PHP are less powerful than ASP
    >
    > ~Cameron

    Dmitry Ruban Guest