Professional Web Applications Themes
  1. #1

    Default Difference between leading, tracking and kerning?

    What is the difference between leading, tracking and kerning?

    Thanks.

    mike Guest

  2. #2

    mike wrote:
    > What is the difference between leading, tracking and kerning?

    Leading determines the amount of space between lines in a paragraph.

    Tracking is the spacing between characters in a line of text.

    Kerning increases or decreases the spacing between certain pairs of
    letters, like AV, which look better if their boxes overlap slightly.

    Linda Rathgeber
    Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    [url]http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm[/url]
    Playing with Fire | [url]http://www.playingwithfire.com[/url]
    Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | [url]http://www.projectseven.com[/url]
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | [url]www.macromedia.com/go/team[/url]

    Linda Rathgeber Guest

  3. #3

    mike wrote:
    > What is the difference between leading, tracking and kerning?
    Leading is the distance (usually measured in points) from the baseline
    of one line of type to the baseline of the one that precedes or follows
    it. Note that this is not affected by the lenght of ascenders and
    descenders. It is strictly measured between baselines.

    Tracking is the measure of the overall spacing between letters in a
    block of text. Tightening or loosening the tracking reduces or enlarges
    the space between characters by the same proportional amount for all
    characters.

    Kerning is the adjustment of the space between two specific charatcers
    to compensate for their relative shapes. A lowercase letter set after a
    "T" for example will appear too far away if it is not kerned properly
    because of all the white space under the crossbar of the "T". Kerning
    these two characters closer together restores the more natural spacing
    rythm found among the characters in the rest of the text.

    Most quality fonts already have some good kerning information included
    within them but it almost always needs to be manually adjusted for
    titling text or logos or it just "looks" wrong. Good or bad kerning is
    often the most visible sign of professional typographic vs amateur work.

    If you want to lear more about about typography (it's one of the
    cornerstones of graphic design afterall), you should check out the
    "Complete Manual Of Typography" by James Felici (Adobe Press). It is
    widely regarded as one of the best modern books on the subject. I used a
    lot of his wording in that book's Glossary for my explanations above.

    HTH!

    Stéphane Bergeron

    Stéphane Bergeron Guest

  4. #4

    "Stéphane Bergeron" <lists@webfocusdesign.com> wrote in message
    > If you want to lear more about about typography (it's one of the
    > cornerstones of graphic design afterall), you should check out the
    > "Complete Manual Of Typography" by James Felici (Adobe Press). It is
    > widely regarded as one of the best modern books on the subject. I used a
    > lot of his wording in that book's Glossary for my explanations above.
    From an Amazon reviewer:
    "I always buy books with the idea of reselling on Amazon.com after I'm
    finished. It's not working in this case: My Felici looks like it's been left
    out in the rain and attacked by our dog. That's because I've dragged it
    everywhere while carefully making my way through it, a few enjoyable pages
    at a time. "

    Well if that isn't high praise, I don't know what it is...

    Thanks for the handy reference, Stéphane. However, a pox on you for adding
    to my always burgeoning wishlist ;o)

    Cheers,
    Sam

    Sam Poikail Guest