Professional Web Applications Themes

Differences between MySQL 5 and MaxDB? - MySQL

Have been using MySQL on an infrequent basis, mostly on web databases. Now the MySQL site is pushing both products. Both now support stored procedures and triggers. So exactly what are the major differences between MySQL and MaxDB? I have not seen a "which version is right for you" doent or web site. The MaxDB site link [url]http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/maxdb/7.6.00.html[/url] does not seem to say much. I find only the defining term "enterprise" proferred. How do they compare? TIA ~ Duane Phillips....

  1. #1

    Default Differences between MySQL 5 and MaxDB?

    Have been using MySQL on an infrequent basis, mostly on web databases.

    Now the MySQL site is pushing both products.
    Both now support stored procedures and triggers.

    So exactly what are the major differences between MySQL and MaxDB? I have
    not seen a "which version is right for you" doent or web site. The MaxDB
    site link
    [url]http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/maxdb/7.6.00.html[/url]
    does not seem to say much. I find only the defining term "enterprise"
    proferred.

    How do they compare?

    TIA

    ~ Duane Phillips.

    Duane Phillips Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Differences between MySQL 5 and MaxDB?

    MaxDB is a re-branded and enhanced version of SAP DB. It started with a
    partnership in 2003 where MaxDB became a direct advancement of the SAP
    DB 7.4 code base. MaxDB is more like a traditional Oracle database
    product considering SAP and Oracle compete for the same business market.

    From the website:
    -----------------
    MaxDB is a heavy-duty, SAP-certified open source database for OLTP and
    OLAP usage which offers high reliability, availability, scalability and
    a very comprehensive feature set. It is targetted for large mySAP
    Business Suite environments and other applications that require maximum
    enterprise-level database functionality and complements the MySQL
    database server.

    Today, about 6,000 customer installations are using MaxDB technology
    globally, including Toyota, Intel, DaimlerChrysler, Braun-Gillette,
    Bayer, Colgate, Yamaha, and Deutsche Post (the German Post Office).
    Benefits

    * Reduced cost of your SAP implementation
    * Easy configuration and low administration
    * Elaborate backup and restore capabilities
    * Continuous operation, no scheduled downtimes required
    * Designed for large number of users and high workloads
    * Scales to database sizes in the terabytes
    * High availability through cluster and hot-standby support
    * Synchronization Manager to control enterprise-wide data tion
    * Easy-to-use graphical database tools
    * Available for all enterprise HW/OS platforms
    * Supports all major SAP solutions

    High performance, availability, operational reliability, scalability,
    ease of use, and low total cost of ownership are just a few of the
    demands that enterprise environments place on a DBMS infrastructure.
    MaxDB helps you meet these demands. It is a powerful, state-of-the-art
    DBMS built for enterprise usage scenarios.
    -----------

    If you want to see the entire list of what it can do checkout the
    whitepaper: [url]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/maxdb/pdf/whitepaper.pdf[/url]

    Michael Vilain wrote:
    > In article <UtWdnbxdQZRPzv_eRVn-3Agiganews.com>,
    > "Duane Phillips" <askmeaskme.askme> wrote:
    >
    >>Have been using MySQL on an infrequent basis, mostly on web databases.
    >>
    >>Now the MySQL site is pushing both products.
    >>Both now support stored procedures and triggers.
    >>
    >>So exactly what are the major differences between MySQL and MaxDB?
    >>
    >>How do they compare?
    >
    > Well, as a thought, unless you stage your own system or colocate, I've
    > yet to see a web site using MaxDB. Most of the sites that offer web
    > hosting services with open software have MySQL, apache, php, and perl.
    > Is there a perl DBI for MaxDB yet?
    Kirk Kimmel Guest

  3. #3

    Michael Vilain (vilainspamcop.net) wrote:
    : In article <dju3p9$61b$1news.cis.ohio-state.edu>,
    : Kirk Kimmel <kkimmelosu> wrote:

    : > MaxDB is a re-branded and enhanced version of SAP DB. It started with a

    : Sounds great, like a _real_ transaction-based database without having to
    : pay the Oracle tax. However, you still haven't answered my question:

    : What web-hosting services are offering MaxDB as part of their service
    : matrix?

    I doubt that any are offering it as a service. I am thinking that as part
    of your purchase of MaxDB/SAP you would go shopping for a provider that
    was willing and able to host your installation (or just as likely, host it
    yourself).

    There are hosting companies that do that sort of thing, but the service is
    not for any one product by name, but simply for anything that needs
    hosting if you fee a suitable fee.

    Or look for a company that specializes in MaxDB, they would likely host it
    for their customers as an option (at least other products often work that
    way).

    $0.10

    --

    This programmer available for rent.
    Malcolm Dew-Jones Guest

  4. #4

    Duane Phillips <askmeaskme.askme> wrote:
    > Have been using MySQL on an infrequent basis, mostly on web databases.
    >
    > Now the MySQL site is pushing both products.
    > Both now support stored procedures and triggers.
    >
    > So exactly what are the major differences between MySQL and MaxDB? I have
    > not seen a "which version is right for you" doent or web site. The MaxDB
    > site link
    > [url]http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/maxdb/7.6.00.html[/url]
    > does not seem to say much. I find only the defining term "enterprise"
    > proferred.
    >
    > How do they compare?
    They do not compare at all, except that both are open source relational
    databases.

    MaxDB is, as mentioned, the open source release of a database software
    written by SAP.

    An attempt at a comparison:

    - MaxDB has more features than MySQL.

    - MaxDB doentation is bad, bordering on unusable.

    - MaxDB is difficult to handle.

    - I have not heard of a single MaxDB reference installation that is not an
    SAP system. It yould be nice to have some such references.

    - MaxDB is slow.

    Personal highlight from my conversations with a MaxDB database:

    sqlcli> delete from parent
    Statement too complicated.

    Yours,
    Laurenz Albe
    Laurenz Albe Guest

  5. #5

    Replying to all previous posts:

    I've read all the pitch and hype, but can find no reason why MySQL would
    pitch BOTH products. Both claim to be able to handle large enterprise
    projects.

    Are we to understand that the MySQL version line to be a lower class DBMS
    than MaxDB? If so, then why?

    I am looking at using one or the other in a very large data project (over a
    TB + of data) that is locally hosted that will likely have local and remote
    interfaces serving a variety of purposes. This however, had nothing to do
    with the original question.

    The "box" and "provider" were both not part of the original question, nor
    the product history. I can find plenty of information on all of that. What
    I have not found is the question of the _differences_ between the two
    products.

    Especially interesting to me is the statement on the MySQL web site that
    "[MaxDB] ... complements the MySQL database server."

    This only further muddied the waters for me.

    Anyone?

    TIA.

    ~ Duane Phillips.

  6. #6

    I installed the new GA Release of MySQL 5 and found a help file with more
    information... still clear as mud.

    Help file title: "1.5.5. Feature Differences Between MaxDB and MySQL"

    They are clearly touting MaxDB for "terrabytes" sized client/server
    arrangements.

    For MySQL they state that some users are up to 5 TB.

    However, I still cannot find speed and/or performance comparison data, and
    only limited application suggestions. MaxDB does have event based handling
    and notifications.

    Still bothersome, however, is the statement on the MySQL web site that
    "[MaxDB] ... complements the MySQL database server."

    They put that in the help file. The MySQL 5 help file spends a whole
    chapter talking about MaxDB.

    I tried to find the interoperability... no joy. So far as I can tell,
    interoperability is defined as, "export your data and/or structure from
    either one into text file(s) and then import into the other". How exactly is
    that defined as "compliments"?

    Need More Data...

    ~ Duane Phillips.