Professional Web Applications Themes

Different versions of e2fsck on one computer - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Bill Mar wrote: > On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:47:40 +1000, Doug Laidlaw > <laidlawsmyaccess.com.au> wrote: >> I have Mandrake 9.0 as my principal Linux distro on /dev/hda. I also >> have Knoppix Debian on /dev/hdb, with its LILO in the MBR of that drive >> (I think, see below.) >> >> I try to boot Knoppix by creating a /mnt/knoppix partition under >> Mandrake, and adding the necessary entries to its fstab and lilo.conf >> files. >> >> The version of e2fsck used by Knoppix is apparently newser than that used >> by Mandrake, for when booting gets to ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Different versions of e2fsck on one computer

    Bill Mar wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:47:40 +1000, Doug Laidlaw
    > <laidlawsmyaccess.com.au> wrote:
    >> I have Mandrake 9.0 as my principal Linux distro on /dev/hda. I also
    >> have Knoppix Debian on /dev/hdb, with its LILO in the MBR of that drive
    >> (I think, see below.)
    >>
    >> I try to boot Knoppix by creating a /mnt/knoppix partition under
    >> Mandrake, and adding the necessary entries to its fstab and lilo.conf
    >> files.
    >>
    >> The version of e2fsck used by Knoppix is apparently newser than that used
    >> by Mandrake, for when booting gets to checking filesystems, Mandrake says
    >> that it can't handle Knoppix' ext2 partitions, which have "newer
    >> features," Booting then stops.
    >>
    > Knoppix might have a newer kernel. What does "uname -a" say in each
    > system?
    >
    >> According to the comments on Knoppix' lilo.conf.:
    >>
    >> # Specifies the boot device. This is where Lilo installs its boot
    >> # block. It can be either a partition, or the raw device, in which
    >> # case it installs in the MBR, and will overwrite the current MBR.
    >> #
    >> boot=/dev/hdb
    >>
    >> Here no partition is specified.
    >>
    > Does the file end there, or does it have "root=" and "image=" lines?
    > Is there an "other=" for the Windows partition?
    >
    >> How can I make the Knoppix bootloader the primary one, without
    >> reinstalling
    >> everything? I have Win98 on /dev/hda1, so I can't just swap the drives.
    >>
    > Boot Knoppix, change the lilo.conf to say "boot=/dev/hda", and run lilo.

    Thanks Bill. Yes, otherwise it is a normal LILO, and I can customize it if
    I want. I suppose that I will have to mount Mandrake from Knoppix's /mnt
    directory. That is easy, because Knoppix has detected every partition I
    have.

    Doug.

    --
    Registered Linux User No. 277548.
    They say lightning never strikes twice in the same place. My typing is

  2. #2

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > Bill Mar wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:47:40 +1000, Doug Laidlaw
    >> <laidlawsmyaccess.com.au> wrote:
    >>> I have Mandrake 9.0 as my principal Linux distro on /dev/hda. I also
    >>> have Knoppix Debian on /dev/hdb, with its LILO in the MBR of that drive
    >>> (I think, see below.)
    >>>
    >>> I try to boot Knoppix by creating a /mnt/knoppix partition under
    >>> Mandrake, and adding the necessary entries to its fstab and lilo.conf
    >>> files.
    >>>
    >>> The version of e2fsck used by Knoppix is apparently newser than that
    >>> used by Mandrake, for when booting gets to checking filesystems,
    >>> Mandrake says that it can't handle Knoppix' ext2 partitions, which have
    >>> "newer features," Booting then stops.
    >>>
    >> Knoppix might have a newer kernel. What does "uname -a" say in each
    >> system?
    >>
    >>> According to the comments on Knoppix' lilo.conf.:
    >>>
    >>> # Specifies the boot device. This is where Lilo installs its boot
    >>> # block. It can be either a partition, or the raw device, in which
    >>> # case it installs in the MBR, and will overwrite the current MBR.
    >>> #
    >>> boot=/dev/hdb
    >>>
    >>> Here no partition is specified.
    >>>
    >> Does the file end there, or does it have "root=" and "image=" lines?
    >> Is there an "other=" for the Windows partition?
    >>
    >>> How can I make the Knoppix bootloader the primary one, without
    >>> reinstalling
    >>> everything? I have Win98 on /dev/hda1, so I can't just swap the drives.
    >>>
    >> Boot Knoppix, change the lilo.conf to say "boot=/dev/hda", and run lilo.
    >>
    > Thanks Bill. Yes, otherwise it is a normal LILO, and I can customize it
    > if
    > I want. I suppose that I will have to mount Mandrake from Knoppix's /mnt
    > directory. That is easy, because Knoppix has detected every partition I
    > have.
    >
    > Doug.

    (Just for the record) I eventually did what Bill suggested. Next problem:
    although the Knoppix kernel is version 2.4, it doesn't recognize ext3
    filesystems. I mounted my Mandrake partitions as ext2, and finished up
    locked out again.

    Upgrading my Mandrake e2fsck would have been wiser.

    Doug.
    --
    Registered Linux User No. 277548.
    They say lightning never strikes twice in the same place. My typing is
    about as accurate. Apologies for any typos that slip in. - Doug.
    Doug Laidlaw Guest