Professional Web Applications Themes

Difficulty Customizing Toolbar - Macromedia Freehand

In the FreeHand MX online help it says that buttons moved to the toolbar in the customize dialog can be taken back off the toolbar by Option-dragging. On my G5 at work and my late model G4 at home I've tried this and every other key combination I can think of, but nothing works. Once moved to a toolbar the buttons stay there. In FreeHand 9 it was possible to also remove tool buttons from the default assortment by dragging off the bar when in the Customize mode. Is this yet another way that FreeHand has been trashed since the ...

  1. #1

    Default Difficulty Customizing Toolbar

    In the FreeHand MX online help it says that buttons moved to the toolbar in the
    customize dialog can be taken back off the toolbar by Option-dragging. On my G5
    at work and my late model G4 at home I've tried this and every other key
    combination I can think of, but nothing works. Once moved to a toolbar the
    buttons stay there.

    In FreeHand 9 it was possible to also remove tool buttons from the default
    assortment by dragging off the bar when in the Customize mode. Is this yet
    another way that FreeHand has been trashed since the days of the user friendly,
    efficient, and altogether venerable version 9?

    Stoonroon Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Difficulty Customizing Toolbar

    I'm guessing you're on Mac OS X.

    I've also found that while Customize Toolbars dialog is open, I can't get
    icons off toolbars that are docked to the edge of the screen. If drag the
    toolbar to make it float, then open Customize Toolbars, it works.

    Cmd-drag will remove icons at any time, as long as the icon is not grayed.
    In that case you have to first select objects on which you could perform the
    icon's operation.

    Judy Arndt
    --
    FHMX 11.0.2 (Build 92)
    Mac G4, OS 10.3.4

    Stoonroon wrote:
    > In the FreeHand MX online help it says that buttons moved to the toolbar in
    > the customize dialog can be taken back off the toolbar by Option-dragging. On
    > my G5 at work and my late model G4 at home I've tried this and every other key
    > combination I can think of, but nothing works. Once moved to a toolbar the
    > buttons stay there.
    >
    > In FreeHand 9 it was possible to also remove tool buttons from the default
    > assortment by dragging off the bar when in the Customize mode. Is this yet
    > another way that FreeHand has been trashed since the days of the user
    > friendly, efficient, and altogether venerable version 9?

    Judy Arndt Guest

  3. #3

    Judy,
    Thanks much for your suggestions. After experimenting with them I find that my
    experience is a little different:
    Even with the Toolbar in floating mode I cannot remove icons with any key
    combination if Customize Toolbars is open.
    I can remove the icons, however, when the Toolbar is floating with Cmd-drag if
    I am in regular mode (Customize Toolbars off).
    It makes little sense and does not work as explained in the manual. But that's
    no big surprise.
    The way it worked in FreeHand 9 made sense. Who's idea was it to change it?
    Have they been tarred and feathered yet? More likely promoted to manage the
    department (in charge of "fixing" things that aren't broken just to keep busy
    and to give the marketing dept something "new" to sell!).

    Stoonroon Guest

  4. #4

    Stoonroon wrote:
    > [...] I can remove the icons, however, when the Toolbar is floating with
    > Cmd-drag if I am in regular mode (Customize Toolbars off). It makes little
    > sense and does not work as explained in the manual. But that's no big
    > surprise. The way it worked in FreeHand 9 made sense. Who's idea was it to
    > change it?
    Apple's. Really, it's just a FHMX/Mac OS X bug. Bugs that don't destroy
    doents go to the bottom of the to-do list.
    > Have they been tarred and feathered yet? More likely promoted to manage the
    > department (in charge of "fixing" things that aren't broken just to keep busy
    > and to give the marketing dept something "new" to sell!).
    My, my. Cynical, aren't we? :-)

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest