Professional Web Applications Themes

Digi concentrator problems - SCO

Hello folks- First, if there is a more appropriate forum to ask this question, please point me in the right direction (this was the most relevant one I could find). I have a DigiBoard DigiCHANNEL C/CON-16 concentrator (DB-25) that is connected to an old SCO 3.2v4.2 server. I'm not entirely sure what model adapter is in the server that is connected to the concentrator. Everything was working fine. (We have Wyse terminals and modems attached to the concentrator). We had a power failure here, and while the server is on a battery, the concentrator is not, so it lost power ...

  1. #1

    Default Digi concentrator problems

    Hello folks-
    First, if there is a more appropriate forum to ask this question,
    please point me in the right direction (this was the most relevant
    one I could find).

    I have a DigiBoard DigiCHANNEL C/CON-16 concentrator
    (DB-25) that is connected to an old SCO 3.2v4.2 server.
    I'm not entirely sure what model adapter is in the server that
    is connected to the concentrator. Everything was working fine.
    (We have Wyse terminals and modems attached to the concentrator).

    We had a power failure here, and while the server is on a battery,
    the concentrator is not, so it lost power (in a not-so friendly way).
    Now that the power has returned, the concentrator appears to be
    in an infinite self-test loop. The 10 LEDs on the concentrator are
    marked as follows:

    TD RD RTS CTS DSR DCD DTR RI OFC IFC 0%
    100%

    There is also an LED panel type area that can display 2 letters
    or numbers to the right.

    When I first turn on the power to the concentrator, the LEDs light
    up one at a time in sequence from 0% to 100%, and then back
    down from 100% to 0%. Then, all LEDs flash on/off. Then, the
    first 4 LEDs light up (TD, RD, RTS, CTS) and P0 is displayed
    in the LED panel area to the right. Then, the rest of the LEDs
    light up (DSR, DCD, DTR, RI, OFC, IFC) and there is a
    clicking noise. Then, everything goes off and the process starts
    again as if I power cycled the concentrator.

    There are 2 arrows used to program it, but w/o a manual,
    I'm pretty much taking shots in the dark. I have found very little
    information at support.digi.com and hoping you kind folks can
    offer some insight if you've ever had the same experience.

    Many thanks-

    hoss

    Hoss Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Digi concentrator problems

    In article <2txjb.33098$nyroc.rr.com>,
    Hoss <hoss nospam thedotcomoutyourass . com> wrote:

    I don't recall all the info as it's been years - but I had a client
    who also lost power in an unfriendly way - with a nearby strike.

    We lost four out of six of those units.

    That panel will give you letters that help diagnose. I do not
    recall.

    Sounds like you've n the concentrator.

    At this point I think you should call the people at Digi. It
    really does sound n. They are good units.

    I even set on up by reprogramming the serial output to the box
    to run at 56Kbps and connected that to a CSU/DSU and put a remote
    C/Con-16 about 150 miles away. [Robert Lipe - who is still on this
    list an at SCO was a great help in getting that running properly as
    he was a Digi then after they acquired Arnet].

    What I missed about the change over from Arnet to Digi was the
    overnight replacement and then the time limited warranty. But you
    will save a lot of time in my opinion by initiating a call to Digi
    support - and you'll probably have to replace the unit.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  3. #3

    A couple of points:

    1. I had the same behavior on one of my C/CONS, and I thought the unit was
    n, but it turned out to just be the power supply/transformer.
    2. If you only have one unit, you probably don't need to use the programming
    arrows at all.

    Good luck,
    Fabio

    Fabio Guest

  4. #4

    "Bill Vermillion" <com> wrote in message news:com...

    > At this point I think you should call the people at Digi. It
    > really does sound n. They are good units.[/ref]

    Thanks for the reply, Bill. I was pretty much expecting people
    to have to go off of fuzzy memory because of the age of the
    hardware. I'll give Digi a call and see if they have any info.

    Hoss Guest

  5. #5

    "Fabio Giannotti" <com> wrote in message

    > A couple of points:
    >
    > 1. I had the same behavior on one of my C/CONS, and I thought the unit was
    > n, but it turned out to just be the power supply/transformer.
    > 2. If you only have one unit, you probably don't need to use the[/ref]
    programming

    Thanks for the tips, Fabio. I'll see what Digi has to say (if they'll say
    anything about such old hardware)

    Hoss Guest

  6. #6

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:57:18 GMT, Hoss <hossnospam> wrote:

    [ munch ]

    It's probably been close to ten years since I had my hands on a C/X, but
    I have not succeeded in killing all the brain cells holding memories of
    that product and its successor, the EPC.

    The cycling to the left and the right is the concentrator trying a
    variety of sync modes, bit rates, and modulation types in the hopes of
    getting something from the host.. If it goes to P0, that means it
    got one packet that it thought it recognized. Normally, the lights
    to the left will indicate the packet count in binary (of course) as
    the download progresses.

    What this means to you, as an admin, is that the concentrator is not
    getting download information from the hosts even though it can establish
    at least some basic communication. It could be

    1) The download daemon on the host (digidl?) croaked.
    2) The host adapter is toast. (bad rx)
    3) The concentrator is fried. (bad tx)
    4) The intervening hose (including any short haul modems, CSU/DSU, fiber
    tranceivers, etc.) has gone belly-up.

    (Oddly, I have a lot of words for things that don't work...)

    There are diagnostics available that'll let you test each piece
    individually, but it requires funky connectors (that I'm guessing you
    don't have or at least can't find) and software that's a big pain to
    run.

    I'd power cycle everything involved in this process and then contacting
    Digi support. This product might be an old one, but that product family
    was a flaghip of that company for a very long time.

    Robert Guest

  7. #7

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:57:18 GMT, "Hoss" <hoss nospam
    thedotcomoutyourass . com> wrote:

    (...)

    It's been a few years, but I had several customers using C/X series
    terminal concentrators. They were great. The usual problem was
    overheating power supplies and overloaded -15VDC negative RS-232 power
    supply when fully populated. Flakey Mini-DIN connectors on the C/X
    cards was another problem. My favorite up was plugging the wrong
    Mini-Din connector in the wrong C/X jack and finding my print jobs
    going to somebodys terminal.

    Digi has some nifty diagnostics which are probably on your 3.2v4.2
    box. DPA (Digi Port Authority) is the main diagnostic tool.
    http://support.digi.com/support/techsupport/unix/misc/DPA.html
    There's a "rotating" slash character that simulates moving traffic.

    However, before you dive into the diags, make sure that the C/X card
    is recognized on boot up. There should be something in:
    /usr/adm/messages
    or in the results of:
    hwconfig -hc
    indicating that the card and its driver are alive and well.

    I think I may have the C/X and C/Con-16 manuals around the office
    somewhere.

    Here's some more Digi docs, which include the C/X and C/Con-16
    http://support.digi.com/support/techsupport/hardware/gap.html
    http://support.digi.com/support/techsupport/hardware/cxindex.html

    --
    Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
    (831)421-6491 pgr (831)336-2558 home

  8. #8

    Hi there,

    I've never had that situation.
    Try their online support request
    http://www.digi.com/support/eservice/eservicelogin.jsp
    They're pretty fast for response time.

    Good luck.
    DonF

    "Hoss" <hoss nospam thedotcomoutyourass . com> wrote in message news:<Snzjb.33367$nyroc.rr.com>...

    > > A couple of points:
    > >
    > > 1. I had the same behavior on one of my C/CONS, and I thought the unit was
    > > n, but it turned out to just be the power supply/transformer.
    > > 2. If you only have one unit, you probably don't need to use the[/ref]
    > programming
    >
    > Thanks for the tips, Fabio. I'll see what Digi has to say (if they'll say
    > anything about such old hardware)[/ref]
    foz_67 Guest

  9. #9

    > It's been a few years, but I had several customers using C/X series

    Yep, these have been great too... right around 10 years without
    a problem.

    Seems like a faulty power supply is a common theme between
    your and Fabio's reply...

    doh! :)

    hmm... nothing in /usr/adm/messages about the C/X card...

    I think this is it:

    device address vec dma comment
    epca 0x208-0x208 - - mem=0x000D0000 ports=32 ISA C/X V6.0.5

    Thanks for the links, Jeff, and the reply... I have a support request
    put in at Digi.... maybe I can get a spare power supply from them.
    (it looks like a proprietary power supply)

    hoss

    Hoss Guest