Professional Web Applications Themes

Digital Camera - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

  1. #1

    Default Re: Digital camera

    >I do not expect you understand why I prefer a floppy camera, since you do
    >not understand the nature of my business. I admit a CD camera will replace
    >the floppy camera, but the cost is way too high.
    At around $500-$600, the floppy-based Mavica is about three times the cost of
    similar resolution compact flash or memory-stick-based cameras. So if money is
    a prblem, you can buy a superior digital camera and a floppy drive, and you'll
    be set.
    >I need removable media to give pictures to people, and for onscreen images,
    >the floppy cameras work great.
    For onscreen pictures, the onscreen camera works so-so. It does not offer the
    capability to, for example, crop an image and still fill a modern computer
    screen, and the color resolution is actually quite poor.

    You keep talking about your business, which leads me to believe you intend to
    make money from this camera. If that is indeed true, it makes sense to get the
    best tools you can afford. What happens when your customer DOES want to print
    the image, or your customer gets a computer whose monitor offers 1024x768 or
    greater resolution? If you want to make money, you should consider that
    businesses succeed when they have an eye on future needs.
    >You do not understand that I do not work in the print industry, and for
    >me on-screen is sufficient enough.
    But I do understand that you keep your options open by keeping an eye on
    quality. You can buy a camera with double the resolution of the Maciva for half
    the money; that gives you far more flexibility, and still lets you copy the
    image to floppies and hand them to woever wants them.

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: [url]http://www.villaintees.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html[/url]

    Tacit Guest

  2. #2

    [email]crucifyself03aol.comn[/email]ojunk (Crucifyself03) writes:
    > What would you recommend? I was thinking of Sony. I'd like a camera with a
    > floppy disk, so I can easily hand people pictures while on the road, without
    > any special cables or software.
    My wife has a Mavica which saves to floppies, and it works very well for
    us. We do just as you -- take a person's photo and give them the
    disk. Since floppies are basically free, it's a nice gesture with no cost
    to us.

    > I have seen some prints with the floppy camera and they look okay, and I hear
    > they also have the capability to use memory sticks. What do you recommend?
    Her camera doesn't have a memory stick. It takes photos at three
    resolutions. Since we mostly post the photos to the Web, she uses the
    lowest resolution to get the most photos on the disk. We have printed one
    to 8x10 photo quality paper, and no one realized it was not a "real"
    photograph.

    > The only problem I see, is that many of my Mac customers do not have floppy
    > disk drives. Which will make it difficult for me to take pictures and hand
    > them a disk.
    Most Mac users still have a floppy drive. We did give a disk to one Mac
    user without a drive for it, but he said he could give it to a PC owner he
    knew and get the image. Don't let that be a bother to you.

    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    [url]http://www.PhilipStripling.com/[/url] | my domain is read daily.
    Phil Stripling Guest

  3. #3

    >My wife has a Mavica which saves to floppies, and it works very well for
    >us. We do just as you -- take a person's photo and give them the
    >disk. Since floppies are basically free, it's a nice gesture with no cost
    >to us.
    Thank you for your suberb response. I tested the Mavica floppy 1.2 mega pixel
    today and it will do the job. I personally own a Vivitar 2.1 MP camera, I
    would really like a Mavica, but this camera will be for a client of mine, who
    knows dit about computers.

    She just needs a simple camera that can take pictures, and then view them on
    the computer. The Mavica's images looked similiar to my Vivitar's. I doubt
    she will do much printing with it. But this camera will be an asset to her.

    I do not understand why people think that everyone who buys a camera has to
    print with it. Some people only view the images on a computer.
    >Most Mac users still have a floppy drive. We did give a disk to one Mac
    >user without a drive for it, but he said he could give it to a PC owner
    >he
    >knew and get the image. Don't let that be a bother to you.
    I bet many of them do. Jwolf can you tell us? Jwolf says the USB floppy disk
    drives sell well, and I may tend to believe him. I do see many of them still
    being sold in stores. Apparantly many Mac users still use them.
    Crucifyself03 Guest

  4. #4

    In article <20030724122513.15169.00000498mb-m13.aol.com>,
    Crucifyself03 <crucifyself03aol.comnojunk> wrote:
    > I do not expect you understand why I prefer a floppy camera
    I believe you can buy flash memory readers if that helps.

    Also maybe you should purchase a laptop for your business. Then you
    could offer your customers any media they want. ie. cd, floppy, zip,
    etc or even LAN it to them.
    E-Star Guest

  5. #5

    In article <20030724183507.02417.00000528mb-m21.aol.com>,
    [email]crucifyself03aol.comn[/email]ojunk (Crucifyself03) wrote:
    > >Also maybe you should purchase a laptop for your business. Then you
    > >could offer your customers any media they want. ie. cd, floppy, zip,
    > >etc or even LAN it to them.
    >
    > Way too much hassle. man just give them a floppy.
    Too much hassle for you?

    You have a decreasing customer base in your future, given
    that floppies are going away, even in PC land.

    Learn to deal with it.

    After all, floppies are evile(tm).
    Steve Hix Guest

  6. #6

    In article <20030724174311.04924.00000534mb-m26.aol.com>,
    [email]crucifyself03aol.comn[/email]ojunk (Crucifyself03) wrote:
    > >Most Mac users still have a floppy drive. We did give a disk to one Mac
    > >user without a drive for it, but he said he could give it to a PC owner
    > >he
    > >knew and get the image. Don't let that be a bother to you.
    >
    > I bet many of them do. Jwolf can you tell us? Jwolf says the USB floppy disk
    > drives sell well, and I may tend to believe him. I do see many of them still
    > being sold in stores. Apparantly many Mac users still use them.
    .. . . I haven't used a floppy on a Mac since 1998, even though I had a
    module for my Powerbook 1400, and I currently own a USB floppy drive.
    Files that small I can e-mail, but of course I get your point about
    handing an image over on the spot to someone. But unless they have a
    floppy equipped computer on them, I don't see why you'd care. By the
    time they get to their computer the e-mail would hav arrived anyway . . .

    Glenn
    GDB Guest

  7. #7

    >Way too much hassle. man just give them a floppy.

    Currently, no Macs ship with floppy drives.

    Dell systems no longer ship with floppy drives unless you buy them as an extra.

    Intel has already announced that the next generation of Intel motherboards will
    not support floppy drives.

    The floppy is dead. You might as well start handing out images on punch cards
    or paper tape.

  8. #8

    On 23 Jul 2003 22:53:16 GMT, [email]crucifyself03aol.comn[/email]ojunk
    (Crucifyself03) wrote:
    >What would you recommend? I was thinking of Sony. I'd like a camera with a
    >floppy disk, so I can easily hand people pictures while on the road, without
    >any special cables or software.
    The floppy-disk camera is far from optimal to say the least. Floppy
    access is slow and the disc only holds a meg and a half. Plus as you
    said in your post, your Mac doesn't have a floppy drive!! The CD
    cameras are only a little better; to read the CD in a computer the
    disc has to be "finalized" which means it can no longer be written to.

    I remember reading somewhere that Sony has discontinued or will be
    discontinuing the floppy and CD cameras.

    Sony's a good choice though. I have the Cyber-Shot P-71, which was the
    predecessor to this one [url]http://tinyurl.com/hzno[/url] and I'm very happy
    with it. It's compact and loaded to the gills with features, takes
    great pictures, and the memory card holds hundreds. The only thing I
    might've liked better would've been the ability to have sound in the
    movies it takes... which, whaddya know, the P-72 does.

    The only other brand I'd even consider would be Canon; for compactness
    and features you can't beat the Digital ELPH - and their other
    PowerShot cameras are very good too.

    For the record my brother-in-law uses a Minolta like this one
    [url]http://www.dimage.minolta.com/xi/[/url] and loves it to death. He travels a
    lot and says "If they can't tell it's a camera they won't try to take
    it from you at gunpoint." = )

    forge Guest

  9. #9

    On 24 Jul 2003 16:25:13 GMT, [email]crucifyself03aol.comn[/email]ojunk
    (Crucifyself03) wrote:
    >I do not expect you understand why I prefer a floppy camera, since you do not
    >understand the nature of my business. I admit a CD camera will replace the
    >floppy camera, but the cost is way too high.
    Sounds like you've already made up your mind. Why the hell are you
    asking all of us then???

    forge Guest

  10. #10

    Default Digital Camera

    Hi all,

    My father an avid photographer is interested in switching to digital. He
    currently has an OM1 with a good set of lenses etc. (i know that the OM
    system is no more)

    He is leaning towards a Minolta DSLR
    Any recommendations/Suggestions/Comments?

    Thanks in advance
    Andrew

    Square Bear Guest

  11. #11

    Depending on his needs, Canon 10D (along with new lenses), Nikon D100 (along
    with new lenses) or Fuji S2 (along with new lenses)

    All top shelf, and all will perform wonderfully.

    Trevor C.
    Townsville.

    "Square Bear" <square_bearhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > My father an avid photographer is interested in switching to digital. He
    > currently has an OM1 with a good set of lenses etc. (i know that the OM
    > system is no more)
    >
    > He is leaning towards a Minolta DSLR
    > Any recommendations/Suggestions/Comments?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Andrew

    Pure Emotion Guest

  12. #12

    "Square Bear" <square_bearhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > My father an avid photographer is interested in switching to digital. He
    > currently has an OM1 with a good set of lenses etc. (i know that the OM
    > system is no more)
    >
    > He is leaning towards a Minolta DSLR
    > Any recommendations/Suggestions/Comments?

    Tell him to hold out for the Olympus 4:3 DSLR

    Miro Guest

  13. #13

    "Andy G" <dalineanstarday.com.au> wrote in message
    > tell him to try something like the canon g5 first and see if he can handle
    > digital before forking out the big bucks on an slr
    Its not the technology people cant handle ....... it is the Canon RAW files
    that drive people loopy.

    Miro Guest

  14. #14

    Andrew, unfortunately Minolta don't make a removable lens DSLR.
    I am soon to sell all my Minolta Gear and change to Canon, unfortunately. I
    am keen on the EOS 10D, though I will also be buying a film body, so that I
    can still get the benefits of wide angle landscape work.

    Stew.

    "Square Bear" <square_bearhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > My father an avid photographer is interested in switching to digital. He
    > currently has an OM1 with a good set of lenses etc. (i know that the OM
    > system is no more)
    >
    > He is leaning towards a Minolta DSLR
    > Any recommendations/Suggestions/Comments?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Andrew

    Two Moocows Guest

  15. #15

    "Two Moocows" <NOSPAMstewhuntbigpond.net.au> wrote:
    > Andrew, unfortunately Minolta don't make a removable lens DSLR.
    They made at least one that I know of, it was a Minolta/Agfa hybrid called
    RD175 which took Minolta AF lenses. It is an old model now ... 1 or 2
    Megapixels. Nothing on the dSLRs from Canon/Nikon today of course.
    > I am soon to sell all my Minolta Gear and change to Canon, unfortunately.
    I have a friend who is in the same boat, two bodies, a whole bunch of
    Minolta Lenses (what is the collective noun for lenses?), multiple IR
    syncing flashes and a bunch of accessories. He is waiting for a new Minolta
    dSLR and all but given up. Maybe the new look "Konica Minolta"
    ([url]http://www.dpreview.com/news/0308/03080401konicaminolta.asp[/url]) has something
    planned?
    > I am keen on the EOS 10D, though I will also be buying
    > a film body, so that I can still get the benefits of wide angle
    > landscape work.
    Good luck with the switch.

    Regards, Ken

    Ken Guest

  16. #16

    "Ken" <n e w s (at) k e n c h a n d l e r . c o m>, far, far away from
    here, appears to have written:

    [snips]
    > I have a friend who is in the same boat, two bodies, a whole bunch of
    > Minolta Lenses (what is the collective noun for lenses?),
    Moneypit...
    --

    cheers, Mic (Reply address works...)

    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert Humphrey

    M i c C u l l e n Guest

  17. #17

    "M i c C u l l e n" <nospamcross.com.au> wrote:
    > "Ken" <n e w s (at) k e n c h a n d l e r . c o m> wrote:
    > > I have a friend who is in the same boat, two bodies, a whole bunch of
    > > Minolta Lenses (what is the collective noun for lenses?),
    > Moneypit...
    :-P, obvious really.

    'Should I just take the 50mm prime today, or carry around the whole moneypit
    of lenses?' Yes, I like it.

    KC

    Ken Guest

  18. #18

    Adobe PhotoShop see's my scanner but cannot see my camera. I am running windows xp that does see the camera know that the drivers are loaded. can see it in my computer. Any help would be appreciated. Please sent reply to [email]johncvexcite.com[/email]

    Thank you
    Johncv A Smith Guest

  19. #19

    Johncv:

    Does your PS see a USB drive? When I connect my camera and download using PS, I access the E: drive, which is the USB drive my computer sees when I plug in my camera.

    Are you sure there's no other drives available when your camera is plugged in?

    It would probably be faster to download the photos directly to a folder and open them from the HD. PS can eat up a lot of resources and make the process more time-consuming.
    Cheesefood Guest