Professional Web Applications Themes

Digital Camera and Scanner Shopping - Mac Applications & Software

If there is a more on-topic group for requests like this, please point me there. Anyway, I'm looking to buy a new digital camera in the 3 megapixel range that can take good closeups of detail items like circuit boards as well as having good zoom capabilities. I get conflicting stories from the sales droids at the local "Super" stores about brand compatibility with Mac. The "expert" at Best Buy told me that no cameras have Mac software. This cannot be. Can someone clue me in? I have an eMac 700 with 9 and X. My old Astra scanner that ...

  1. #1

    Default Digital Camera and Scanner Shopping

    If there is a more on-topic group for requests like this, please
    point me there.

    Anyway, I'm looking to buy a new digital camera in the 3 megapixel
    range that can take good closeups of detail items like circuit boards
    as well as having good zoom capabilities. I get conflicting stories
    from the sales droids at the local "Super" stores about brand
    compatibility with Mac. The "expert" at Best Buy told me that no
    cameras have Mac software. This cannot be. Can someone clue me in? I
    have an eMac 700 with 9 and X.

    My old Astra scanner that I used with my old Mac is pretty well
    worthless with this machine. It is a large format type that was useful
    in scanning pics that spanned both pages in a book and such. Likewise,
    I'm being informed that these are no longer available unless you get
    into big bucks. Standard size won't do it for me. Help?

    Rick
    Sea Jhett Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Digital Camera and Scanner Shopping

    Sea Jhett wrote:
    > If there is a more on-topic group for requests like this, please
    > point me there.
    >
    > Anyway, I'm looking to buy a new digital camera in the 3 megapixel
    > range that can take good closeups of detail items like circuit boards
    > as well as having good zoom capabilities. I get conflicting stories
    > from the sales droids at the local "Super" stores about brand
    > compatibility with Mac. The "expert" at Best Buy told me that no
    > cameras have Mac software. This cannot be. Can someone clue me in? I
    > have an eMac 700 with 9 and X.
    >
    > My old Astra scanner that I used with my old Mac is pretty well
    > worthless with this machine. It is a large format type that was useful
    > in scanning pics that spanned both pages in a book and such. Likewise,
    > I'm being informed that these are no longer available unless you get
    > into big bucks. Standard size won't do it for me. Help?
    >
    > Rick

    I'm using a Canon A40 (2Mpixel) with my Mac (1GHz DP MDD PowerMac)
    without a hitch.

    The camera uses CF cards for storage, so I've opted for a SanDisk USB CF
    card adapter. I had been using this combination on a PC running OS/2
    prior to the Mac. I stick the CF card into the adapter, OS X mounts it
    as a drive, I drag the images to where I want them on the hard drive,
    eject the CF card's drive image, put the card back in the camera, format
    the card (to get rid of the pictures already on it) and I'm in business.
    No fuss, no muss. I keep three 128MB CF cards handy, so never lack
    for "film". (I get roughly 125-130 1600x1200 jpegs per card, so a 4 or
    5 Mpixel camera will get half that, or less) [I do recommend formatting
    the media in the camera, so that you're sure the file system is set up
    properly]

    From what I have seen around the newsgroups etc, that is pretty much
    the experience of most digital camera users and Macs. iPhoto and other
    applications will also interface directly with cameras, via USB, for
    downloading images as well.

    There may be issues with some of the high capacity storage devices
    (i.e.: >512MB) in that they may or may not use a file system that is
    native to OS X. A little checking around will probably dig up some
    answers. I've heard success stories with CF cards, SmartMedia and
    others, so picking a camera shouldn't be too much of a problem.

    Here's iPhoto's compatibilty list:

    [url]http://www.apple.com/iphoto/compatibility/camera.html[/url]

    HTH
    Kyle

    Kyle Guest

  3. #3

    In article <030720031553540876%riptidemalibu.net>,
    Sea Jhett <riptidemalibu.net> wrote:
    > If there is a more on-topic group for requests like this, please
    > point me there.
    >
    > Anyway, I'm looking to buy a new digital camera in the 3 megapixel
    > range that can take good closeups of detail items like circuit boards
    > as well as having good zoom capabilities. I get conflicting stories
    > from the sales droids at the local "Super" stores about brand
    > compatibility with Mac. The "expert" at Best Buy told me that no
    > cameras have Mac software. This cannot be. Can someone clue me in? I
    > have an eMac 700 with 9 and X.
    >
    > My old Astra scanner that I used with my old Mac is pretty well
    > worthless with this machine. It is a large format type that was useful
    > in scanning pics that spanned both pages in a book and such. Likewise,
    > I'm being informed that these are no longer available unless you get
    > into big bucks. Standard size won't do it for me. Help?
    >
    > Rick
    I just bought the Canon A70 and it works great with iPhoto
    it also comes with good software for OS 9 and windows.

    3 megapixels
    3X optical zoom
    can change lenses (purchase seperately)
    3 minute QT movie mode with sound
    totally automatic, but has many options for those advanced photographers
    who would rather use the manual options

    It is hard to find right now... very well reviewed, very popular.

    I got mine at a Staples (people don't often think of an office supply
    store for a camera.

    The Apple Store on the web also has it

    Ed
    Ed Guest

  4. #4

    <riptidemalibu.net> wrote:
    > If there is a more on-topic group for requests like this, please
    > point me there.
    >
    > Anyway, I'm looking to buy a new digital camera in the 3 megapixel
    > range that can take good closeups of detail items like circuit boards
    > as well as having good zoom capabilities. I get conflicting stories
    > from the sales droids at the local "Super" stores about brand
    > compatibility with Mac. The "expert" at Best Buy told me that no
    > cameras have Mac software. This cannot be. Can someone clue me in? I
    > have an eMac 700 with 9 and X.
    >
    > My old Astra scanner that I used with my old Mac is pretty well
    > worthless with this machine. It is a large format type that was useful
    > in scanning pics that spanned both pages in a book and such. Likewise,
    > I'm being informed that these are no longer available unless you get
    > into big bucks. Standard size won't do it for me. Help?
    >
    > Rick
    Thanks to all of you who replied to this thread. I feel better armed
    with more facts.

    A little idea about battery life that may or may not apply these
    days. In '97 a photographer friend of mine decided to try a digital.
    "Relatively" new at the time, the main gripes seemed to be about power
    consumption. Indeed my friend complained about running out of battery
    out on event shoots and such. I looked at his and noticed it was
    running on the same voltage as either a 4 or 5 cell Maglite (can't
    remember which at this point). For giggles, I bought a new one, yanked
    the bulb assembly, tagged the wires after the switch with oxygen-free
    speaker pair, ran the wire through the lens after drilling a hole in
    it, and tapped onto the camera's power input. Instant major reserve
    power. He bought one of those Maglite belt holsters the cops have and
    was happy as a pig in, well, you know. I suppose there is another
    solution these days.

    Rick
    Sea Jhett Guest