Professional Web Applications Themes

Digital Camera and Telescope - Photography

In message <73qmgvc8m7sivl24npfkdqenb5elbenlsu4ax.com>, [email]rfdjraol.com[/email] writes >I'm new to trying to take photos through my telescope. I decided to try >it tonight and get some shots of the moon. I can't get everything to >focus, and wondered if someone could give me some guidance. > I've only tried this through binoculars, and was advised to take the photo when the moon is visible in the daytime. At night the contrast between the bright moon and the dark sky is tricky. I certainly got better results this way. I don't know if its the same with a telescope, which of course gives ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Digital Camera and Telescope

    In message <73qmgvc8m7sivl24npfkdqenb5elbenlsu4ax.com>, [email]rfdjraol.com[/email]
    writes
    >I'm new to trying to take photos through my telescope. I decided to try
    >it tonight and get some shots of the moon. I can't get everything to
    >focus, and wondered if someone could give me some guidance.

    I've only tried this through binoculars, and was advised to take the
    photo when the moon is visible in the daytime. At night the contrast
    between the bright moon and the dark sky is tricky. I certainly got
    better results this way. I don't know if its the same with a telescope,
    which of course gives you much better magnification.
    --
    Anita Evans
    (anita[at]ra.evans.clara.co.uk to reply by e-mail)

  2. #2

    You don't say what camera or how it attaches to the telescope. I had pretty
    good results with my Nikon 4500 shooting through the eyepiece. My autofocus
    seemed to work OK but make sure you are on wide angle. I always focused the
    telescope first then let the camera do its own focusing. I also used the
    self-timer to give the camera time to settle down after pushing the shutter
    button. If you are trying to handhold at the eypepiece you will have to use
    a low power ep since you won't be able to hold the camera steady enough
    otherwise.

    There are some good sites on the web that go into some detail on all of
    this. Just do a search on "digital camera and telescope" or try d"igital
    astrophotography".

    Good luck.

    Cliff

    "Anita Evans" <nga0612yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > In message <73qmgvc8m7sivl24npfkdqenb5elbenlsu4ax.com>, [email]rfdjraol.com[/email]
    > writes
    > >I'm new to trying to take photos through my telescope. I decided to try
    > >it tonight and get some shots of the moon. I can't get everything to
    > >focus, and wondered if someone could give me some guidance.
    > >
    > I've only tried this through binoculars, and was advised to take the
    > photo when the moon is visible in the daytime. At night the contrast
    > between the bright moon and the dark sky is tricky. I certainly got
    > better results this way. I don't know if its the same with a telescope,
    > which of course gives you much better magnification.
    > --
    > Anita Evans
    > (anita[at]ra.evans.clara.co.uk to reply by e-mail)

    Cliff Guest

  3. #3

    probably off topic - however, I ran your suggested search and up popped this
    site:

    [url]http://www.scopetronix.com/planetgall.htm[/url]

    which, I frankly think has some fantastic images!

    thanks for the tip,

    rma

    "Cliff" <cjfnsympatico.ca> wrote in message
    news:W0BPa.19061$Tx.945869news20.bellglobal.com.. .
    > You don't say what camera or how it attaches to the telescope. I had
    pretty
    > good results with my Nikon 4500 shooting through the eyepiece. My
    autofocus
    > seemed to work OK but make sure you are on wide angle. I always focused
    the
    > telescope first then let the camera do its own focusing. I also used the
    > self-timer to give the camera time to settle down after pushing the
    shutter
    > button. If you are trying to handhold at the eypepiece you will have to
    use
    > a low power ep since you won't be able to hold the camera steady enough
    > otherwise.
    >
    > There are some good sites on the web that go into some detail on all of
    > this. Just do a search on "digital camera and telescope" or try d"igital
    > astrophotography".
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > Cliff

    ralford Guest

  4. #4

    In article <W0BPa.19061$Tx.945869news20.bellglobal.com>,
    [email]cjfnsympatico.ca[/email] says...
    > You don't say what camera or how it attaches to the telescope. I had pretty
    > good results with my Nikon 4500 shooting through the eyepiece. My autofocus
    > seemed to work OK but make sure you are on wide angle. I always focused the
    > telescope first then let the camera do its own focusing. I also used the
    > self-timer to give the camera time to settle down after pushing the shutter
    > button. If you are trying to handhold at the eypepiece you will have to use
    > a low power ep since you won't be able to hold the camera steady enough
    > otherwise.
    >
    > There are some good sites on the web that go into some detail on all of
    > this. Just do a search on "digital camera and telescope" or try d"igital
    > astrophotography".
    >
    > Good luck.
    Cliff, if you read his post, you will see that he said he has a D100.
    --
    John O.
    There is no slack in light attack.