Professional Web Applications Themes

digital camera for jewelry ?? - Photography

"Allen" <alan915hotmail.com> wrote in message news:7a1187dc.0307151227.6816bfcfposting.google.c om... > hi > Dear friends ,I'm looking for a digital camera to take pictures for > jewelry, and gold .I saw the coolpix 4300 and G3 & the Olympus C4000 > ,any idea which better camera.any help would be appreciated. To get the details of jewelry, you need a camera that does closeups (macros) well. Nikons have a reputation of being best at this, but check the specs on [url]www.dpreview.com[/url] to be sure....

  1. #1

    Default Re: digital camera for jewelry ??

    "Allen" <alan915hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:7a1187dc.0307151227.6816bfcfposting.google.c om...
    > hi
    > Dear friends ,I'm looking for a digital camera to take pictures for
    > jewelry, and gold .I saw the coolpix 4300 and G3 & the Olympus C4000
    > ,any idea which better camera.any help would be appreciated.
    To get the details of jewelry, you need a camera that does closeups (macros)
    well. Nikons have a reputation of being best at this, but check the specs
    on [url]www.dpreview.com[/url] to be sure.

    Marvin Margoshes Guest

  2. #2

    Hi,

    Go for the Nikon Coolpix. They have excelent macro capability. And don't forget
    to get a tripod.

    Rosita

    HRosita Guest

  3. #3

    Hi!
    The new Nikon 5400 seems to have terrific macro capability. Main thing
    though is to:
    1. Buy a digital camera that has good close up capability. My G3 is fair by
    itself, I had to buy close up lenses from [url]www.lensmateonline.com[/url] with which
    I can do good close ups.
    2. Proper lighting is crucial, and you need to explore tungsten or other
    lighting with softboxes to avoid glare, and you'll need a tripod for the
    camera. Look up [url]http://users.lmi.net/~drewid/PWR_photography.html[/url] and also
    do more searching for photographing jewelry on the Internet, there are many
    resources available. I don't believe that flash is the way to go; others may
    have different opinions.

    Raja

    Roger Guest

  4. #4

    Hi, and also look up this wonderful web page:
    [url]http://www.webphotoschool.com/newschool/Default.asp[/url]

    Raja

    Roger Guest

  5. #5

    On 15 Jul 2003 13:27:53 -0700, com (Allen) wrote:

    I have a Nikon 3100 Coolpix and have taken a couple of hundred shots
    of jewelry with it. Most of the Coolpix cameras have the same macro
    range, so the 4300 is no better than the 3100 for jewelry pix...and a
    lot cheaper.

    You will find that, in this case, the camera is secondary to the rest
    of the set-up. Macro is macro. Actually, the close-up scene
    selection works best with jewelry. You get better depth of field than
    you do with the macro setting.

    The keys will be a way to hold and display the jewelry, and a way to
    light the jewelry. Most jewelry reflects quite a bit, so placing
    lighting can be self-defeating. You will need to buy or build a soft
    box.

    You have to get quite innovative with jewelry. I've done everything
    from fabricating clear plastic cones for rings to taking 20 minutes to
    set up one shot with a suspended item and a glue gun and black thread
    over a black background.

    I still don't have a shot that I'd post here for your inspection. I'm
    getting closer, though.

    --
    Tony Cooper aka: com
    Provider of Jots, Tittles, and Oy!s

  6. #6

    Tony Cooper wrote:

    > I have a Nikon 3100 Coolpix and have taken a couple of hundred shots
    > of jewelry with it. Most of the Coolpix cameras have the same macro
    > range, so the 4300 is no better than the 3100 for jewelry pix...and a
    > lot cheaper.
    >[/ref]
    Another camera with a good zoom macro
    capability is Sony's Mavica series. I
    have a couple of pages on jewelry photos
    posted at:
    http://www.mbstevens.com/camera.html

    Cheers,

    m Guest

  7. #7

    On 7/17/03 1:02 AM, in article
    c_qRa.105595$prod.itd.earthlink.net, "m"
    <com> wrote:

    >> I have a Nikon 3100 Coolpix and have taken a couple of hundred shots
    >> of jewelry with it. Most of the Coolpix cameras have the same macro
    >> range, so the 4300 is no better than the 3100 for jewelry pix...and a
    >> lot cheaper.
    >>[/ref]
    > Another camera with a good zoom macro
    > capability is Sony's Mavica series. I
    > have a couple of pages on jewelry photos
    > posted at:
    > http://www.mbstevens.com/camera.html
    >
    > Cheers,
    The term "fill light" mean anything here?

    George Guest

  8. #8

    Tony Cooper <com> wrote in message news:<com>...

    > I have a Nikon 3100 Coolpix and have taken a couple of hundred shots
    > of jewelry with it. Most of the Coolpix cameras have the same macro
    > range, so the 4300 is no better than the 3100 for jewelry pix...and a
    > lot cheaper.
    >
    > You will find that, in this case, the camera is secondary to the rest
    > of the set-up. Macro is macro. Actually, the close-up scene
    > selection works best with jewelry. You get better depth of field than
    > you do with the macro setting.
    >
    > The keys will be a way to hold and display the jewelry, and a way to
    > light the jewelry. Most jewelry reflects quite a bit, so placing
    > lighting can be self-defeating. You will need to buy or build a soft
    > box.
    >
    > You have to get quite innovative with jewelry. I've done everything
    > from fabricating clear plastic cones for rings to taking 20 minutes to
    > set up one shot with a suspended item and a glue gun and black thread
    > over a black background.
    >
    > I still don't have a shot that I'd post here for your inspection. I'm
    > getting closer, though.[/ref]

    Thanks for your help, can yoy teach me how to build a soft box for that,
    Allen Guest

  9. #9

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 06:42:09 GMT, Abrasha <com> wrote:

    >http://www.abrasha.com/misc/photography.htm and[/ref]

    That's about as ugly as mine: a white milk crate with some of the
    sides cut out with a Dreml and wrapped in white cloth. Ugly works,
    and it's cheap.

    Mine is light and portable enough that I can set it outside on the
    patio table and use sunlight. That's also cheap here in Florida.

  10. #10

    Tony Cooper wrote:

    Yep, it's ugly allright.

    I don't think it is ever a good idea to shoot jewelry, or any other product, in
    sunlight, for the simple reason that it cannot be controlled, so the results are
    always unpredictable.

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com
    Abrasha Guest

  11. #11

    On 7/20/03 2:25 PM, in article com, "Abrasha"
    <com> wrote:

    > Yep, it's ugly allright.

    > I don't think it is ever a good idea to shoot jewelry, or any other product,
    > in
    > sunlight, for the simple reason that it cannot be controlled, so the results
    > are
    > always unpredictable.
    >
    > Abrasha
    > http://www.abrasha.com[/ref]
    Bingo! Absolutely correct. You set-up is really amazing and I know where you
    are coming from. The only thing that I can add after looking at your website
    is that maybe you should include a miniature bare-bulb inside the "tent" for
    definition and dimension from the shadowing that would result. Congrats on
    doing great work on a "shoestring" budget.

    George Guest

  12. #12

    Allen,

    I use an Olympus C4000Z (zoom) 4 megpixel digital. An excellent
    camera for jewelry because of its "super" maco mode (check the specs
    at the Olympus web site).

    As a bonus (I found this out after buying the camera), there is free
    software to control this camera via your computer! All settings are
    viewed at once on your monitor and controlled from your keyboard. The
    advantage is you can experiment with settings and see your results
    on-screen in about 2 seconds. Much better than experimenting by
    writing your settings down, connecting the cable and downloading a
    batch of photos to evaluate. Just shoot, evaluate on the monitor,
    save or reject without using your camera's memory. Also, I use the
    computer as a remote shutter release as the Olympus does not have one.

    Regards,
    Ed Ferguson
    com

    com (Allen) wrote in message news:<google.com>...
    Ed Guest