Professional Web Applications Themes

Digital Camera Resolution, Canon A70? - Photography

I am thinking of getting my first digital camera, and not knowing a lot about them, I have been reading these newsgroups and reviews, and almost decided to give the Canon A70 a go, as it suits the features I would like, and my allowable budget. But, (there is always a but) it will be primarily used for photographing electronics components, and fine printed circuit board assemblies for my web site. Will the 3.2 Megapixel resolution be suitable to photograph items such as: http://www.dontronics.com/graphics/ft8u232.jpg The pins on these integrated circuits are set at .05" and .1", so I need a ...

  1. #1

    Default Digital Camera Resolution, Canon A70?

    I am thinking of getting my first digital camera, and not knowing a lot
    about them, I have been reading these newsgroups and reviews, and almost
    decided to give the Canon A70 a go, as it suits the features I would
    like, and my allowable budget.

    But, (there is always a but) it will be primarily used for photographing
    electronics components, and fine printed circuit board assemblies for my
    web site.

    Will the 3.2 Megapixel resolution be suitable to photograph items such
    as:
    http://www.dontronics.com/graphics/ft8u232.jpg
    The pins on these integrated circuits are set at .05" and .1", so I need
    a camera that will give me something equivalent to the quality of this
    picture.

    all feedback appreciated.

    Don...

    --
    Don McKenzie E-mail: http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html
    Home Page: http://www.dontronics.com

    Add USB to your favorite Micro. http://www.dontronics.com/dlp.html
    The World's Largest Range of Atmel/AVR & PICmicro Hardware and Software
    Don Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Digital Camera Resolution, Canon A70?

    "Don McKenzie" <support2003**NOSPAM**dontronics.com> wrote in message

    Anything from 3.2mp up is gunna provide enough resolution, provided that you
    have a camera with good macro ability.

    You could use an 11mp EOS1Ds if you want, but without the ability to get
    close you may as well be using a low mp camera.

    I would suggest that a 3.2mp will be fine assuming that you are not looking
    for huge enlargements, but go for one with the best macro so that you make
    the best use of your available mp.

    AU Guest

  3. #3

    Obake wrote:

    > have you read this review on the camera?
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona70/
    >
    > it has same pictures (one is of a watch that might be a good indication of
    > what you can expect) and one of the conlusions includes "Usable macro
    > performance at telephoto".[/ref]

    thanks for the feedback Guys,
    that helps, nice peaceful and helpful newsgroup you seem to have here.

    Cheers Don...

  4. #4

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:53:33 +1000, in
    <com>, Don McKenzie
    <support2003**NOSPAM**dontronics.com> said:
     [/ref]

    Most of the small Canons would be fine for photographing SMD components,
    etc, especially if you only need web-size photos. It's worth mentioning
    that even if you can't fill the lens with your subject, most of the
    Canons have so much resolution that you can just shoot at whatever zoom
    will give you a sharp image (& buy a cheap tripod too - you'd be
    surprised how hard it is to get a sharp macro shot handheld), then just
    crop it down to the bit you want to use. Either way, you'll have to
    shrink the photo right down to make it small enough for a website. The
    only problem I can imagine you having with the small digicams is with
    larger PCBS, but the fact that you'd need to drop the resolution for web
    so much would probably be a big help there as well.

    You'd be surprised, although it's very peaceful here at present. ;)

    BTW, are you the same guy who used to advertise in EA & ETI?

    Lionel Guest

  5. #5

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:43:17 +1000, in
    <com>, Don McKenzie
    <support2003**NOSPAM**dontronics.com> said:

    >thanks,
    >yes, that be me Lionel.[/ref]

    I thought your name sounded familiar. I used to read both mags
    religiously from the late '70s through to the late '80s, until I started
    doing electronics design for a living, which kind of put me off the
    hobbiest mags.

    I've gone the other way. After years of averaging 10-12 hour days being
    employed 'full time' in the IT industry, I got sick of it after the
    DotBomb crash & decided to work for myself. While I'm not making
    anywhere near as much money as a consultant, I'm doing okay, & get to
    work whatever hours I please, plus spend time working towards a
    photographic career (maybe!).

    Lionel Guest

  6. #6

    Lionel wrote:
     [/ref][/ref]

    > I thought your name sounded familiar. I used to read both mags
    > religiously from the late '70s through to the late '80s, until I started
    > doing electronics design for a living, which kind of put me off the
    > hobbiest mags.[/ref]

    My first commercial computer modification was the 16K RAM upgrade on
    TRS-80's in 1978. :-)
     [/ref]

    I worked on the TAB (VIC) computers for 25 years and built up a hobby
    business. The hobby became too large, so I took early retirement 4 years
    ago. Now my business is growing, and I am starting to employ people.

    Pity I didn't do it 30 years ago, but the world wide internet customer
    wasn't there then.
    You can't be sucessfull in my niche market, with a potential customer
    base of 40K Australians that read those magazines.
    BUT, you can with a world wide audience that numbers in the milions. :-)

    Good luck with your new career Lionel.

    Don..