Professional Web Applications Themes

Digital Cameras - FreeBSD

Is there a chance to get digital camers working with FreeBSD? All I need is load images from camera using USB port....

  1. #1

    Default Digital Cameras

    Is there a chance to get digital camers working with FreeBSD? All I
    need is load images from camera using USB port.

    Sergei Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Digital Cameras

    Sergei Gnezdov writes:

    You might be better off removing the card and using a card reader. Card
    reader specs are much more generalized and consistent than digital
    camera specs. If the type of card/reader your camera uses is unsupported
    by FreeBSD, at least you have a better chance of getting support for it
    in the future than you would for a specific model of a specific camera.

    --
    Anthony

    Anthony Guest

  3. #3

    On Apr 4, 2005, at 10:28 PM, Sergei Gnezdov wrote:

    Most digital camera's today implement the USB mass storage system, so
    you should just try and plug the camera in. It may work!

    Chad

    Chad Guest

  4. #4

    try gphoto2
    I remember extracting images from canon 10d using this.

    James H

  5. #5

    On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Sergei Gnezdov wrote:

    It may depend on the specific camera. Some people have reported problems
    trying to do this, but I've had no trouble doing exactly what you
    describe. You don't need any special software, just standard stuff (cp,
    mv, rm). I have a Sony DSC-P10, and it also works fine using a friend's
    Sony DSC-(some other number).

    HTH.

    --
    Chris Hill org
    ** [ Busy Expunging <|> ]

  6. #6

    Anthony Atkielski wrote:

    Hello,

    I second this suggestion! Get a USB media adaptor, plug it in, the
    device should pop right up, then you use the mount command and add it
    like a disk drive, copy your photos, clean up the disk, unmount, and you
    are done! (I have no idea if this works with memory sticks, but say,
    Canon cameras are always putting an MSDOS filesystem on the CF card.)

    Another tip: reading the data is only half the battle. Personally,
    managing pictures is one of the three things I do with my Windows
    computer. (The other two are games and Quicken.) The XP/2k file
    browser in "thumbnail" mode is very nice for managing pictures. And you
    can download stuff like Picasa. (Though, Flickr is a lot like "online
    Picasa" but you have to pay a yearly subscription fee, and the photo
    manipulation stuff depends on Flash plugin, so, for now, you need
    Windows to rotate your uploaded images ....)

    Cheers,
    -danny

    --
    http://dannyman.toldme.com/

    Danny Guest

  7. #7

    On Tuesday 05 April 2005 18:51, Danny Howard wrote:

    You might want to look at the Rox Filer. Thumbnail browsing and easy to add
    extra "menu" commands which can be scripts to manipulate the pics

    --
    Dave
    dgmm Guest

  8. #8

    --- "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <net>
    wrote:
    > with FreeBSD? All I
    >
    > Most digital camera's today implement the USB mass
    > storage system, so
    > you should just try and plug the camera in. It may
    > work!
    >
    > Chad
    >[/ref]

    Chad/All,
    From experience (I have the Canon Digital Rebel) I
    can say that plugging the camera won't be as simple as
    plugging in the CFCard into a CFCard reader and then
    into you USB port as a mass storage device. The Canon
    requires a bunch of drivers and special software even
    on the Windows box I copy stuff to.

    Cheers.

    Ralph Los
    Information Security Consultant
    bOUNDARIEZ

    [B L O G ~~> http://achilles.boundariez.com/cms]

    Ralph Guest

  9. #9

    On Apr 8, 2005, at 2:13 PM, Ralph wrote:

    >> with FreeBSD? All I
    >>
    >> Most digital camera's today implement the USB mass
    >> storage system, so
    >> you should just try and plug the camera in. It may
    >> work!
    >>
    >> Chad
    >>[/ref]
    >
    > Chad/All,
    > From experience (I have the Canon Digital Rebel) I
    > can say that plugging the camera won't be as simple as
    > plugging in the CFCard into a CFCard reader and then
    > into you USB port as a mass storage device. The Canon
    > requires a bunch of drivers and special software even
    > on the Windows box I copy stuff to.
    >[/ref]

    I don't know about the Rebel, but the Canon 20D SLR can be put into two
    different modes (using the on camera menus), one of which works like a
    USB mass storage device (at least when plugged into my OS X computer)
    and one that does not work like that. (I remove the card and use a
    reader though). However, most consumer level digital cameras, except
    the cheapest ones, do act as USB mass storage devices when plugged in.
    The Digital SLR types may be different. (And some of your special
    software on windows may be to read RAW files and stuff like that).

    I have used a Minolta DiIMAGE X and a Sony DSC-T1 myself as USB Mass
    storage devices (under OS X) and have seen relatives use a Canon
    consumer level one of some sort. Most of the non-SLR and the
    non-super-el-cheapo digital cameras work with iPhoto under OS X without
    special drivers and show up on the desktop (as USB Mass Storage
    devices). I would assume they should behave the same with FreeBSD.

    Note that this does not give you any sort of photo management or
    anything...

    It is worth a try.

    Chad

    Chad Guest

  10. #10

    On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 16:13, Ralph wrote:
    > > with FreeBSD? All I
    > >
    > > Most digital camera's today implement the USB mass
    > > storage system, so
    > > you should just try and plug the camera in. It may
    > > work!
    > >
    > > Chad
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > Chad/All,
    > From experience (I have the Canon Digital Rebel) I
    > can say that plugging the camera won't be as simple as
    > plugging in the CFCard into a CFCard reader and then
    > into you USB port as a mass storage device. The Canon
    > requires a bunch of drivers and special software even
    > on the Windows box I copy stuff to.
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Ralph Los
    > Information Security Consultant
    > bOUNDARIEZ
    >
    > [B L O G ~~> http://achilles.boundariez.com/cms]

    gphoto2 appears to support the Digital Rebel; here is a snippet from
    gphoto2 --list-cameras:

    "Canon EOS Digital Rebel (normal mode)"
    "Canon EOS Digital Rebel (PTP mode)"

    Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of one to test it with...

    Mike Guest

  11. #11

    On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 04:28:30 +0000 (UTC)
    Sergei Gnezdov <net> wrote:

    My suggestion is to get one that uses a flash card and get a flash
    card reader. Flash cards are just formated with fat, so they work with
    out problems under FreeBSD. :)
    Vulpes Guest

  12. #12

    On Apr 9, 2005 2:53 PM, Vulpes Velox <net> wrote: [/ref]

    I have a Canon G3 which works well with FreeBSD5.3 using gphoto2
    *Check if your desired camera is surported
    http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php
    *if surported, install gphoto2 from ports
    *attach camera to computer
    * "sudo gphoto2 -P" will pull all images from camera to pwd
    If your camera isnt amongst the 500+ cameras supported, use a card
    reader as earlier suggested.

    --
    ~michael
    unixadmin99 Guest