Professional Web Applications Themes

Digital enlarger - Photography

For projecting digital file images onto photographic paper. For those who miss the chemicals!~ http://www.benboardman.com.au/bb/devere/dv504d.shtml...

  1. #1

    Default Digital enlarger

    For projecting digital file images
    onto photographic paper. For those
    who miss the chemicals!~

    http://www.benboardman.com.au/bb/devere/dv504d.shtml
    RichA Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Digital enlarger

    RichA <com> wrote in news:0lkc115grf29r40uahkv7puqtj5sud6pr9
    4ax.com:

    Hehe . I DONT miss the chemicals.

    Devere makes high end enlargers for large format film.
    The enlarger used is the 504 that takes 5x4" film, so
    I assume that the LCD is rather large. It is also 8 Mpixels.

    Hmmm ... I wonder if this is competetive to a printer.
    Mabe it is for companies that already has a certain work flow.

    /Roland
    Roland Guest

  3. #3

    In article <133.1.4>,
    Roland Karlsson <com> wrote:

    It should be much faster than a printer for consecutive prints.

    --
    LF Website http://members.verizon.net/~gregoryblank

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
    Gregory Guest

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Steve Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. #5

    RichA wrote:

    One (other) advantage of digital is going to a printer w/o another set of lenses
    to worry about.

    OTOH this product could address the high contrast B&W printing interest that
    some photogs miss with digital.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Guest

  6. #6

    "Alan Browne" <ca> wrote in message

    > One (other) advantage of digital is going to a printer w/o another set of
    > lenses to worry about.
    >
    > OTOH this product could address the high contrast B&W printing interest
    > that some photogs miss with digital.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan
    >
    > --
    > -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.[/ref]

    I'm one of those! There are black and white photo papers that just cannot
    be emulated with currently available inkjet or Fuji Crystal type papers,
    like Ilford Gallerie and some of the Agfa and Seagull papers. This would
    work well, and shortcut my attempt at printing "negatives" on my inkjet and
    using them to make contact prints on my enlarger.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip Guest

  7. #7

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:22:43 -0800, "Skip M" <net>
    wrote:

    >> One (other) advantage of digital is going to a printer w/o another set of
    >> lenses to worry about.
    >>
    >> OTOH this product could address the high contrast B&W printing interest
    >> that some photogs miss with digital.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Alan
    >>
    >> --
    >> -- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
    >> -- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
    >> -- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
    >> -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.[/ref]
    >
    >I'm one of those! There are black and white photo papers that just cannot
    >be emulated with currently available inkjet or Fuji Crystal type papers,
    >like Ilford Gallerie and some of the Agfa and Seagull papers. This would
    >work well, and shortcut my attempt at printing "negatives" on my inkjet and
    >using them to make contact prints on my enlarger.[/ref]

    Not to mention avoiding the cost of printing large format ink jet
    pictures. Not many people buy wide-bed digital printers and
    letting some lab do it takes away control.
    -Rich
    RichA Guest

  8. #8

    In article <com>,
    RichA <com> wrote:

    I wonder what the cost is,...it might be prohibitively expensive.

    --
    LF Website http://members.verizon.net/~gregoryblank

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
    Gregory Guest

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Gregory Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. #10

    Skip M wrote:

    > > One (other) advantage of digital is going to a printer w/o another set of
    > > lenses to worry about.
    > >
    > > OTOH this product could address the high contrast B&W printing interest
    > > that some photogs miss with digital.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > Alan
    > >
    > > --
    > > -- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
    > > -- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
    > > -- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
    > > -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.[/ref]
    >
    > I'm one of those! There are black and white photo papers that just cannot
    > be emulated with currently available inkjet or Fuji Crystal type papers,
    > like Ilford Gallerie and some of the Agfa and Seagull papers. This would
    > work well, and shortcut my attempt at printing "negatives" on my inkjet and
    > using them to make contact prints on my enlarger.[/ref]

    You might be interested in this then
    http://www.bestlab.com/sanmig15.html

    A lab offering digital B&W prints.

    Lisa
    Lisa Guest

  11. #11

    Gregory Blank wrote:

    > It should be much faster than a printer for consecutive prints.
    >[/ref]

    Indeed, if one already has a darkroom set up that is. And for the
    person accustomed to doing their own color printing, this might be
    easier than learning Photoshop and calibration.

    Lisa
    Lisa Guest

  12. #12

    In article <net>,
    Lisa Horton <net> wrote:

    San Miguel is the lab I was referring to further up in the
    thread, but couldn't remember the name,Thanks.

    --
    LF Website http://members.verizon.net/~gregoryblank

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
    Gregory Guest

  13. #13

    "Lisa Horton" <net> wrote in message

    >> I'm one of those! There are black and white photo papers that just
    >> cannot
    >> be emulated with currently available inkjet or Fuji Crystal type papers,
    >> like Ilford Gallerie and some of the Agfa and Seagull papers. This would
    >> work well, and shortcut my attempt at printing "negatives" on my inkjet
    >> and
    >> using them to make contact prints on my enlarger.[/ref]
    >
    > You might be interested in this then
    > http://www.bestlab.com/sanmig15.html
    >
    > A lab offering digital B&W prints.
    >
    > Lisa[/ref]

    Sorry, Lisa, that's what I'm trying to avoid. Ilford Gallerie and the Agfa
    papers to which I refer are fiber based, either matte or gloss, but the
    gloss has a quality lacking in RC papers. And their pricing, for RC or
    fiber, is outlandish. I can get a black and white print on RC paper for
    less than $5.00, and there's no way in hell I'm going to pay someone $50.00
    for a print on fiber. The volume I used to print, the digital enlarger that
    started this thread would make complete economic sense in that context. The
    paper costs me about a buck a sheet.

  14. #14

    In article <D4WRd.32404$xt.12779fed1read07>, net
    says...

    Yeah, those prices are rather nuts.

    You could try these guys, but any one that wants you to apply before
    they sell to you... "Coo-coo!"

    http://www.hhcolorlab.com/Services/Printing.aspx

    But considering what you do, they might be ideal... or overpriced.

    These guys don't seem too bad, but for the price you probably don't get
    a lot of QC or adjustments. 8x10" B&W prints on resin-coated paper are
    $2.49.

    http://www.mpix.com/productsinfo.aspx
    Brian Guest

  15. #15

    Skip M wrote:

    > > You might be interested in this then
    > > http://www.bestlab.com/sanmig15.html
    > >
    > > A lab offering digital B&W prints.
    > >
    > > Lisa[/ref]
    >
    > Sorry, Lisa, that's what I'm trying to avoid. Ilford Gallerie and the Agfa
    > papers to which I refer are fiber based, either matte or gloss, but the
    > gloss has a quality lacking in RC papers. And their pricing, for RC or
    > fiber, is outlandish. I can get a black and white print on RC paper for
    > less than $5.00, and there's no way in hell I'm going to pay someone $50.00
    > for a print on fiber. The volume I used to print, the digital enlarger that
    > started this thread would make complete economic sense in that context. The
    > paper costs me about a buck a sheet.[/ref]

    Their prices did seem rather high to me. You do sound like someone who
    could actually use this though.

    Lisa
    Lisa Guest

  16. #16

    "Lisa Horton" <net> wrote in message
    news:net... [/ref][/ref]
    ..

    >> Sorry, Lisa, that's what I'm trying to avoid. Ilford Gallerie and the
    >> Agfa
    >> papers to which I refer are fiber based, either matte or gloss, but the
    >> gloss has a quality lacking in RC papers. And their pricing, for RC or
    >> fiber, is outlandish. I can get a black and white print on RC paper for
    >> less than $5.00, and there's no way in hell I'm going to pay someone
    >> $50.00
    >> for a print on fiber. The volume I used to print, the digital enlarger
    >> that
    >> started this thread would make complete economic sense in that context.
    >> The
    >> paper costs me about a buck a sheet.[/ref]
    >
    > Their prices did seem rather high to me. You do sound like someone who
    > could actually use this though.
    >
    > Lisa[/ref]

    Could, yes, would, no. At those prices, I can't sell a print and make a
    reasonable profit. Loose 8x10 prints, matted, but unframed, sell in
    galleries for between $60 and $75. Since I'm not one of the best known
    photographers (to say the least) mine sell more in the $60 range. And I'm
    supposed to pay somebody $50 for a print?

  17. #17

    "Brian Baird" <right> wrote in message

    > Yeah, those prices are rather nuts.
    >
    > You could try these guys, but any one that wants you to apply before
    > they sell to you... "Coo-coo!"
    >
    > http://www.hhcolorlab.com/Services/Printing.aspx
    >
    > But considering what you do, they might be ideal... or overpriced.
    >
    > These guys don't seem too bad, but for the price you probably don't get
    > a lot of QC or adjustments. 8x10" B&W prints on resin-coated paper are
    > $2.49.
    >
    > http://www.mpix.com/productsinfo.aspx[/ref]

    Thanks for that info, it may come in handy. I've been using Silverwire to
    send files to a local lab, but they don't offer the Kodak metallic paper on
    line, and I've been having problems uploading files, sometimes. And the
    guys you sent links to offer larger sizes than the local guys.

  18. #18

    In article <D4WRd.32404$xt.12779fed1read07>,
    "Skip M" <net> wrote:

    Very true, why should I pay 50 bucks,...maybe I am charging too little
    to do the FB printing for my clients.

    If the enlarger is not too expensive,....under 3K?

    --
    LF Website http://members.verizon.net/~gregoryblank

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
    Gregory Guest

  19. #19

    In article <net>,
    Lisa Horton <net> wrote:

    Its the lack of people in general doing FB silver printing that
    dictates the high price and wether in fact people are willing to pay it.

    Though I don't feel 50.00 for an 8x10 is a good price,...plus its
    untoned at that price.

    --
    LF Website http://members.verizon.net/~gregoryblank

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
    Gregory Guest

  20. #20

    Skip M wrote: [/ref]
    > .
    > >
    > > Their prices did seem rather high to me. You do sound like someone who
    > > could actually use this though.
    > >
    > > Lisa[/ref]
    >
    > Could, yes, would, no. At those prices, I can't sell a print and make a
    > reasonable profit. Loose 8x10 prints, matted, but unframed, sell in
    > galleries for between $60 and $75. Since I'm not one of the best known
    > photographers (to say the least) mine sell more in the $60 range. And I'm
    > supposed to pay somebody $50 for a print?
    >[/ref]

    Sorry, I meant that you could perhaps use the device, not the seemingly
    overpriced service :)

    Lisa
    Lisa Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast