Professional Web Applications Themes

Digital noise - Photography

After taking night photos of fireworks during the 4th, there is alot of digital noise in the black areas of the picture (otherwise they are great) How do I prevent this or how can I remove this with photo software. Thanks Lonnie...

  1. #1

    Default Digital noise

    After taking night photos of fireworks during the 4th, there is alot
    of digital noise in the black areas of the picture (otherwise they are
    great) How do I prevent this or how can I remove this with photo
    software.

    Thanks
    Lonnie
    Lonn Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Digital noise

    [email]cajunemtpcox-internet.com[/email] (Lonn) wrote in news:d0d7c14c.0307112203.1228f757
    posting.google.com:
    > After taking night photos of fireworks during the 4th, there is alot
    > of digital noise in the black areas of the picture (otherwise they are
    > great) How do I prevent this or how can I remove this with photo
    > software.
    You can take the photos in february when it is cooler :)

    A trick that I have used in PhotoShop is to run "select
    color range" on the darkest parts and then use some method
    for smoothing. This method assumes that there are no
    interesting details in the darkest parts. You can of course
    (if no select color range exists) use the magic wand to
    choose the dark parts instead. The advantage with the color
    range select is that it is smooth.

    Roland
    Roland Karlsson Guest

  3. #3

    "Lonn" <cajunemtpcox-internet.com> wrote in message
    news:d0d7c14c.0307112203.1228f757posting.google.c om...
    > After taking night photos of fireworks during the 4th, there is alot
    > of digital noise in the black areas of the picture (otherwise they are
    > great) How do I prevent this or how can I remove this with photo
    > software.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lonnie
    Try NeatImage [url]http://www.neatimage.com/index.html?c[/url]

    Graeme Guest

  4. #4

    Neatimage can easily destroy the photo removing important details, when
    using it without thoroughly enough parameter tweaking.

    But in the case that you want to remove noise mainly from nearly black
    areas, I suppose you can find parameters (and save them for more photos of
    that kind), that leave everything untouched but the very dark areas.

    -Michael

    -Michael Schnell, Krefeld, Germany,
    mailto:mschnellbschnell.de

    Michael Schnell Guest

  5. #5

    "Lonn" <cajunemtpcox-internet.com> schreef in bericht
    news:d0d7c14c.0307112203.1228f757posting.google.c om...
    > After taking night photos of fireworks during the 4th, there is alot
    > of digital noise in the black areas of the picture (otherwise they are
    > great) How do I prevent this or how can I remove this with photo
    > software.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lonnie
    I have Corel Photopaint 10 and I discovered the "Smart Blur" function. It
    blurs an image but retains the edge detail.

    Put the amount on 1 otherwise it is too much

    Always keep a copy of the original image, maybe someday there are much
    better methods to get rid of the noise...

    Ruud, [url]www.RuudOnline.com[/url]

    Ruud Guest

  6. #6

    >A trick that I have used in PhotoShop is to run "select
    >color range" on the darkest parts and then use some method
    >for smoothing.
    Feather the selected range 2 to 5 pixels and Select Modify Expand by the
    same amount to get a seamless transition.

    The 'Filter/Noise/Median' is useful for smoothing among the other
    zumpteenmillion ways.
    You may even find that desaturating helps if there's a lot of colour noise,
    or smooth only the noisy Channel (Neat Image allows for that).

    I've had both brilliant and awful results with Neat Image - obviously I've
    got more to learn about that program.

    Paul W

    Paul Worden Guest

  7. #7

    "Lonn" <cajunemtpcox-internet.com> wrote in message
    news:d0d7c14c.0307112203.1228f757posting.google.c om...
    > After taking night photos of fireworks during the 4th, there is alot
    > of digital noise in the black areas of the picture (otherwise they are
    > great) How do I prevent this or how can I remove this with photo
    > software.
    Prevent? Shoot shorter exposure times and open up the aperture (if the
    camera allows). Lower temperatures also help, but may be hard to control.
    You could, if the camera doesn't do this automatically beyond a certain
    exposure time, shoot another picture with the same exposure time, but with
    the lens cap on. Then afterwards this can be used to subtract certain noise
    patterns from the image (a.k.a. dark field subtraction).

    Remove? The program called Neat Image as mentioned by others can do
    miracles, but has a learning curve. The results can be stunning, depending
    on the image content and operator skill.

    You could also combine multiple exposures, if taken from a tripod or after
    aligning them by hand, or mask out anything other than the traces. It
    depends on your software if, and how, it can be done.
    Alternatively, you can reduce the size of your image (which also reduces
    your print size), by a process called Pixel Binning. This takes groups of
    e.g. 4 pixels and averages them into 1 value, followed by halving the image
    dimensions (this reduces noise by a factor 0.5). It depends on the software
    you use if that is easy to accomplish. If not, you may blur the image by 1
    pixel width and resize the file to half its dimensions, which is however
    less effective than binning.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf Guest

  8. #8

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 14:31:55 +0200, "Bart van der Wolf"
    <bvdwolfnospam.nl> wrote:

    >Alternatively, you can reduce the size of your image (which also reduces
    >your print size), by a process called Pixel Binning. This takes groups of
    >e.g. 4 pixels and averages them into 1 value, followed by halving the image
    >dimensions (this reduces noise by a factor 0.5). It depends on the software
    >you use if that is easy to accomplish.
    >Bart

    What software does pixel binning ?

    jpc
    jpc Guest

  9. #9

    "Lonn" <cajunemtpcox-internet.com> wrote in message
    news:d0d7c14c.0307112203.1228f757posting.google.c om...
    > After taking night photos of fireworks during the 4th, there is alot
    > of digital noise in the black areas of the picture (otherwise they are
    > great) How do I prevent this or how can I remove this with photo
    > software.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lonnie

    Create a threshold layer in PS or PS Elements and adjust the level until the
    details on the fireworks is satisfactory. Next, select the dark areas, make
    the image layer the active layer, then run a noise/despeckle/blur filter on
    the masked image.

    Paul H. Guest