Professional Web Applications Themes

Digital Photo Image File Renaming - Photography

Please find at the link below the program for renaming digital photo image files using date and time recorded by camera with the image. [url]http://www.davar.net/MISCL/DOWNLOAD/RENPHOT.HTM[/url] Formal and easily achieved image file name consistency simplifies organization and maintenance of large picture archives. -- Best regards, Vladimir Veytsel. [url]http://www.davar.net[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default Digital Photo Image File Renaming

    --
    Best regards,
    Vladimir Veytsel.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Digital Photo Image File Renaming

    This program is absolutely wonderful! Thank you, Vladimir!

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 02:10:11 GMT, Vladimir Veytsel
    <Davaroptonline.net> wrote:
    >Please find at the link below the program for renaming digital photo
    >image files using date and time recorded by camera with the image.
    >
    >[url]http://www.davar.net/MISCL/DOWNLOAD/RENPHOT.HTM[/url]
    >
    >Formal and easily achieved image file name consistency simplifies
    >organization and maintenance of large picture archives.
    M. Souris Guest

  4. #4

    Please find at the link below the program for renaming digital photo
    image files using date and time recorded by camera with the image.

    http://www.davar.net/MISCL/DOWNLOAD/RENPHOT.HTM

    Formal and easily achieved image file name consistency simplifies
    organization and maintenance of large picture archives.

    --
    Best regards,
    Vladimir Veytsel.
    http://www.davar.net
    Vladimir Guest

  6. #6

    I use PicL.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/picl/

    PicL (pronounced pickle) stands for Picture Labeler. PicL is a Java
    application that names image files. Its main focus is to provide an easy
    way to name image files produced by digital cameras using Exif information.

    Easy GUI, does the job perfectly, free, runs on any platform,
    no abundance of features that you don't need

    Best regards,
    Ronny

    ps. I use %y%m%d-%HH%MM%SS.jpg => 20031105-233514.jpg
    Slightly longer names (i don't see 8.3 file format as an issue
    anymore today). Allowa my archive grow beyond one year, assures
    unique filenames, at least for the picture i taake.
    I never update a picture, i make a copy and save it as
    %y%m%d-%HH%MM%SSa.jpg

    user@domain.invalid Guest

  7. #7

    invalid wrote:

    Maybe if the base 10 logarithm of the number of your images in your
    collection was about 2 or 3. Do you enjoy thousands of files in one
    directory?

    %y/%m/%d/%HH%MM%SS.jpg

    is much more managable.
    eawckyegcy@yahoo.com Guest

  8. #8

    com wrote:

    > Maybe if the base 10 logarithm of the number of your images in your
    > collection was about 2 or 3. Do you enjoy thousands of files in one
    > directory?[/ref]

    No i don't. I also store them per day in my archive %y/%m/%d/
    The point is that i also create directories/CDs/websites and the likes
    with galleries containing pictures from different dates.
    My formatting always allows me to find the original pictures back,
    create annotations, edit a new version of the picture, etc...

    Ronny Guest

  10. #10

    For another one, with easy windows interface:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/picl/

    I find it very convenient and use it after downloading images to my pc.
    Should run on any platform.

    RonnyDW

    user@domain.invalid Guest

  11. #11

    Ronny,

    Thanks for the link. I hardly will switch (it takes time, and I like
    to be in control of my tools, whenever it is possible), but I'll be
    glad to place this link in my links page.

    I've missed your previous message, and want to reply you now. You have
    a valid point that full unambiguous names for photo files containing
    date and time from year down to the second are universal, and generally
    are the best solution.

    I use 8.3 old names for two reasons that are important for me.

    1. My archives and picture albums are in directory structures the
    lowest level of which is a year, so having year in the file name
    was a sort of a waste for me. Seconds are hardly important (even
    minutes are important only to distinguish pictures within same
    hour). That left me with 8 significant positions, which prompted
    the length of the name.
    2. My whole development (synchronization, backups, site uploading, etc.)
    is supported by 4DOS batch scripts that handle nicely 8.3 names, but
    require additional effort for LFNs. Of course, there's 4NT, Win
    batch scripting is not bad, VSH available - plenty of good options,
    but there's always a dilemma of severely limited time, and necessity
    to choose between mass reprogramming, or using an older tools while
    developing site contents instead. I opt for the latter, and that's
    why I use the 8.3 names that within my environment are no limitation
    at all.

    Having said that about MY preferences, I would like to tell you again
    that if I were to make a fresh start now, I would most likely reconsider
    my naming scheme, and use universal full names similar to what you use.

    Best regards,
    Vlad.
    http://www.davar.net

    From: invalid (invalid)