Professional Web Applications Themes

Digital photos of slides/negatives (D70) - Photography

I've got old negatives I'd like to 'scan' using my D70, so I can put them on webpages, share easily, manipulate & get printed, and also archive for safety. What kit would be best for this? What kind of lens? A macro would be fun. I have some close-up lenses somewhere if I can get access to them (+1/+2/+3) but not sure what lens they were for originally. -- Ken Tough...

  1. #1

    Default Digital photos of slides/negatives (D70)

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Digital photos of slides/negatives (D70)

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 10:54:21 +0200, Ken Tough <co.uk> wrote:

    How about a slide copier?

    http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/D70Accessories.html
    4th from the bottom.

    --
    Chris Pollard

    http://www.cginternet.net
    Christopher Guest

  3. #3

    Christopher Pollard <net> wrote:
     [/ref]

    Looks good, though from what I gather that's just a holder
    to fit onto a 60mm micro Nikkor. It's possible, but I don't
    have the micro-nikkor yet...

    Thanks for the pointer.

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Guest

  4. #4

    Ken Tough wrote:

    Problem with color negatives is that they have an orange mask such that
    when you invert, the image will be mainly blue. I'm not sure if there
    is an easy way to convert it to 'natural' easilly.

    A 'true' macro will be flat field enough to not distort the images
    noticeably. Using closeup lens attachments will reduce the quality of
    the image in several ways including distortion and corner softness.

    If it's just for web pages, then a cheap film scanner can be had for
    $200 or probably less. A good machine would the old Dimage Scan Dual
    which you can probaly get on ebay for $100 or less. (SCSI, but the
    interface comes with the machine, make sure it is included when you buy).

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Guest

  5. #5

    "Ken Tough" <co.uk> wrote in message
    news:co.uk... [/ref]

    > Looks good, though from what I gather that's just a holder
    > to fit onto a 60mm micro Nikkor. It's possible, but I don't
    > have the micro-nikkor yet...
    >
    > Thanks for the pointer.
    >
    > --
    > Ken Tough[/ref]

    I have this slide copier. It's made to fit the 52mm threads on older Nikon
    lenses. I've used it with my older Sony P&S digital camera in macro mode by
    using a step-up ring from B&H Photo. Currently my Nikon Macro lens is being
    converted to use with my D70 so I don't know how well it will work, and I
    need to get a step-down ring to see if it works with the lens that comes
    with the D70.

    Sheldon Guest

  6. #6

    Ken Tough wrote:
     [/ref]

    > Looks good, though from what I gather that's just a holder
    > to fit onto a 60mm micro Nikkor. It's possible, but I don't
    > have the micro-nikkor yet...[/ref]

    I think it should be the easiest way for web but probably not really
    good enough to print except little snapshots (which might be all you
    need). Serious scanning is slow and expensive. Here's an adapter that
    works on various lenses for $65:
    http://www.panwebi.com/default.asp?sp=1177172
    When copying with an SLR camera, use an 80mm ~120mm zoom lens and set
    the diaphragm at F11 or smaller for sharper pictures.

    CLOSE-UP PHOTOGRAPHY:
    The lens of the Digital Duplicator may be used as a +10 close-up lens.
    Remove the lens unit from the Digital Duplicator and attach it onto the
    camera lens for close-up picture taking.
    paul Guest

  7. #7

    Alan Browne- <ca> wrote:

    Wouldn't I be able to handle this properly if I shoot in raw/NEF
    mode and use a good offline editor to manipulate the colour
    channels?

    Thanks for the info.
    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Guest

  8. #8

    paul <net> wrote:

    What are the focus requirements? Does this adapter have an
    internal lens, and if so, can I use standard lenses with it
    or do they have to be a macro/close-focus? (Especially
    considering the note you have below...)

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Guest

  9. #9

    Ken Tough wrote:

    > What are the focus requirements? Does this adapter have an
    > internal lens, and if so, can I use standard lenses with it
    > or do they have to be a macro/close-focus?[/ref]

    Looks like it includes a cheap diopter lens and can work on a range of
    normal lenses.
    paul Guest

  10. #10

    Ken Tough wrote:

    > Wouldn't I be able to handle this properly if I shoot in raw/NEF
    > mode and use a good offline editor to manipulate the colour
    > channels?[/ref]

    Likely. I personally don't know how (as I said above).

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Guest