Professional Web Applications Themes

Digital Printers - Photography

Here's something I've been thinking about for a while. Do the digital printers (like the Fuji Frontier and others) actually enhance the sharpness of the print (from film) or do they simply bring out the inherent sharpness already built into the film?...

  1. #1

    Default Digital Printers

    Here's something I've been thinking about for a while. Do the digital
    printers (like the Fuji Frontier and others) actually enhance the sharpness
    of the print (from film) or do they simply bring out the inherent sharpness
    already built into the film?

    Chris Wakeen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Digital Printers

    Likely the perceived increase is due to a change in contrast.

    Forgive me if I error, but I am guessing that you used "sharpness" when
    you meant acuteness. In photo terms acuteness is the measure of the amount
    of detail and sharpness is the perceived amount of detail.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    "Chris Wakeen" <cwakeenwakeenphotography.com> wrote in message
    > Here's something I've been thinking about for a while. Do the digital
    > printers (like the Fuji Frontier and others) actually enhance the
    sharpness
    > of the print (from film) or do they simply bring out the inherent
    sharpness
    > already built into the film?

    Joseph Meehan Guest

  3. #3

    I read that some of the units incorporate a sharpening algorithm similar to
    photo editing software to enhance the contrast at the boundary of objects in
    the image to increase the apparent sharpness. I can only speculate that
    there is another algorithm that detects if the image needs sharpening
    because sharpening an already sharp image my give it a fake video like
    appearance.

    My photo lab has a Fuji Frontier printer. I had some prints made using it.
    Since the digital printer can capture more dynamic range from the negative,
    I had less of a problem with n-out skies and blocked up shadows in my
    prints as from the non-digital machines. I took some film scans and files
    from my digital camera to be printed there as well. Beautiful prints! Beware
    of the cropping from many digicams to the 4x6 inc print size : (

    bg

    "Chris Wakeen" <cwakeenwakeenphotography.com> wrote in message
    > Here's something I've been thinking about for a while. Do the digital
    > printers (like the Fuji Frontier and others) actually enhance the
    sharpness
    > of the print (from film) or do they simply bring out the inherent
    sharpness
    > already built into the film?

    BG250 Guest

  4. #4

    "Joseph Meehan" <sligojoeSPAM2hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Forgive me if I error, but I am guessing that you used "sharpness" when
    >you meant acuteness.

    Forgive me if I err, Joseph, but I guess the
    word you *really* meant to use was "acutance".

    ;-)

    T P Guest

  5. #5

    "Joseph Meehan" <sligojoeSPAM2hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Likely the perceived increase is due to a change in contrast.
    >
    > Forgive me if I error, but I am guessing that you used "sharpness"
    when
    > you meant acuteness. In photo terms acuteness is the measure of the
    amount
    > of detail and sharpness is the perceived amount of detail.
    >
    > --
    As T.P. pointed out, you probably meant "acutance". Scanning always degrade
    acutance (as compared to the original slide or negative) and yields the
    image with "soft edges" (and degraded perception of "sharpness"). To restore
    the perception of sharpness to the original slide or negative you have to
    restore the damage done by scanning by using unsharp mask filter or similar
    algorithms.

    So yes, I would guess there must be some after-scan processing done by
    Frontier.

    Leon Mlakar Guest