Professional Web Applications Themes

Digital Rebel external flash - Photography

Hi, I want to get an external flash for my Canon 300D (Digital Rebel). Now, I can't afford the Canon's high end flashes but would like to have feature like variable power, swivel, tilt, etc. Two prime candidates are the Sigma EF-500 Super and Sunpak PZ-5000. Both seem priced at where I can afford them. Out of the two, I am not very inclined towards the Sigma as I have read too many people complain about quality problems with their lenses and flashes. Now, I've never used an external flash so what I want to understand, step-by-step, is that if ...

  1. #1

    Default Digital Rebel external flash

    Hi,

    I want to get an external flash for my Canon 300D (Digital Rebel). Now,
    I can't afford the Canon's high end flashes but would like to have
    feature like variable power, swivel, tilt, etc. Two prime candidates
    are the Sigma EF-500 Super and Sunpak PZ-5000. Both seem priced at
    where I can afford them. Out of the two, I am not very inclined
    towards the Sigma as I have read too many people complain about quality
    problems with their lenses and flashes.

    Now, I've never used an external flash so what I want to understand,
    step-by-step, is that if I mount the Sunpak PZ-5000 with my Canon 300D
    in "M" mode, then how do I go about setting the camera and flash for:
    1. Fill flash
    2. Flash-only illumination

    And comments about on which step would I miss not having E-TTL/TTL-2
    functionality that the Sigma EF-500 Super has.

    Thanks,

    Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Digital Rebel external flash

    I often read the posts on the 300D forum at dpreview.com and can report that
    the Sigma flash has been widely applauded there. I have the 550EX.

    Charles Guest

  3. #3

    "Siddhartha Jain" <co.uk> wrote in message

    I have the predecessor to the Sigma, the non-DG version and it works fine on
    my D30 & 10D. It does have a tendency to overexpose at close distances, but
    that was easily remedied with a StoFen Omni Bounce. I've not heard of such
    problems on the DG version. I've used it off-camera triggered by an ST-E2,
    and used it on-camera to trigger a 420EX with no problems.

    Mark

    Mark Guest

  4. #4

    I've got the Sigma Super DG on my 300D. Works fine and it does FEC which
    you want if you don't use the hack.

    Steve

    "Siddhartha Jain" <co.uk> wrote in message

    Steve Guest

  5. #5

    FEC??

    "Steve m..." <com> wrote in message

    Home Guest

  6. #6

    "Home" <rr.com> writes:

    flash exposure compensation.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  7. #7

    Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    Now,
    quality

    Thanks for the comments on the Sigma. Anything on the Sunpak?
    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Guest

  8. #8

    I have the PZ40X-CA with a 300D and 20D, and while it is nice and small I
    have had no end of exposure problems with the flash. Even with direct (no
    bounce, softeners, etc) flash it overexposes 30-40% of all images (and I'm
    talking easy images with a white or grey backdrop within 2' of the subject).
    I may just have a bad apple, but I have heard of the same problems from
    others and I have never heard anyone say they were happy with their Sunpac.

    I will probably just purchase a Sigma, which seems to have a much better rep
    to replace the Sunpac (still ed off that none of my old EOS flashes work
    with the 300D and 20D so no canon flashes).

    Dean

    > Now,
    > quality
    >
    > Thanks for the comments on the Sigma. Anything on the Sunpak?
    > - Siddhartha
    >[/ref]

    Dean Guest

  9. #9

    >Now, I've never used an external flash so what I want to understand,

    2. Flash-only is easy. You'll set the camera to a setting that
    matches the flash, say, ISO 400 and f/8. (You do this in "M" mode.)
    Then you just take the picture. An electronic eye on the flash
    measures the amount of light that bounces back, and adjusts the output
    of the flash accordingly. I've never used a dedicated (TTL, E-TTL,
    ABC-TTL....) flash, only a sunpak, and had very good results.

    1. Fill flash is harder. First, you set your shutter to 1/125
    (faster than that and you won't get flash sync). Then you see what
    f-stop you're at for what you want exposed with natural light, using
    the camera's internal light meter. Then you adjust the output of the
    flash, using a table on the flash itself, for the proper exposure at
    the distance and f-stop you're using. It's actually not very hard - I
    do it all the time.

    -Joel

    Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases: http://www.exc.com/photography

    Dr. Guest