Professional Web Applications Themes

Digital Rebel LCD focus blurry - Photography

When I try to check for fine focus on the LCD screen, the 4x magnified image is a little blurry and I can't tell any difference from in and out of focus areas until I look on my computer monitor. Is there some adjustment to be made for screen focus? Thanks. Rich [url]www.richardclinton.com[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default Digital Rebel LCD focus blurry

    When I try to check for fine focus on the LCD screen, the 4x magnified image
    is a little blurry and I can't tell any difference from in and out of focus
    areas until I look on my computer monitor. Is there some adjustment to be
    made for screen focus? Thanks.
    Rich
    [url]www.richardclinton.com[/url]

    RichardClinton Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Digital Rebel LCD focus blurry

    "RichardClinton" <richardclintoncox.net> wrote in message
    > When I try to check for fine focus on the LCD screen, the 4x magnified
    > image is a little blurry and I can't tell any difference from in and out
    > of focus areas until I look on my computer monitor. Is there some
    > adjustment to be made for screen focus? Thanks.

    I've never been able to check focus with the LCD, even with zooming. It just
    doesn't work.

    Dave R knows who Guest

  3. #3

    "Dave R knows who" <nguser2uspamnotAOL.com> wrote in message

    > "RichardClinton" <richardclintoncox.net> wrote in message
    >> When I try to check for fine focus on the LCD screen, the 4x magnified
    >> image is a little blurry and I can't tell any difference from in and out
    >> of focus areas until I look on my computer monitor. Is there some
    >> adjustment to be made for screen focus? Thanks.
    >

    > I've never been able to check focus with the LCD, even with zooming. It
    > just doesn't work.
    Hang on! Are you guys talking about the EVF focus, cause I have no way of
    focusing through the LCD when taking a shot. Or am I confused as usual?

    Toomanyputters Guest

  4. #4

    RichardClinton wrote:

    > When I try to check for fine focus on the LCD screen, the 4x magnified image
    > is a little blurry and I can't tell any difference from in and out of focus
    > areas until I look on my computer monitor. Is there some adjustment to be
    > made for screen focus? Thanks.
    > Rich
    > [url]www.richardclinton.com[/url]
    Mine is too, though when I got the 17-85mm IS lens, the magnified view
    on the LCD wasn't nearly as burry as with the kit lens, though it still
    is a little.

    Colin
    Colin D Guest

  5. #5

    Toomanyputters wrote:

    > "Dave R knows who" <nguser2uspamnotAOL.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "RichardClinton" <richardclintoncox.net> wrote in message
    > >> When I try to check for fine focus on the LCD screen, the 4x magnified
    > >> image is a little blurry and I can't tell any difference from in and out
    > >> of focus areas until I look on my computer monitor. Is there some
    > >> adjustment to be made for screen focus? Thanks.
    > >

    > > I've never been able to check focus with the LCD, even with zooming. It
    > > just doesn't work.
    >
    > Hang on! Are you guys talking about the EVF focus, cause I have no way of
    > focusing through the LCD when taking a shot. Or am I confused as usual?
    No, we are talking about post-shot viewing on the LCD. You can zoom the
    image with the button at top right of the camera up to 10x the original
    image size, and navigate round the image with the < and > buttons.

    Colin
    Colin D Guest

  6. #6

    > > When I try to check for fine focus on the LCD screen, the 4x magnified
    > > image is a little blurry and I can't tell any difference from in and out
    > > of focus areas until I look on my computer monitor. Is there some
    > > adjustment to be made for screen focus? Thanks.
    While I can't say for sure, this is what I *think* is causing it:

    Doing full-quality decompression of a full-size JPEG from the Digital
    Rebel not only takes a fair amount of processing cycles, it also takes a
    pretty good amount of memory in which to store the image. Because of those
    constraints, when displaying the image on the LCD screen, a full-quality
    decompression isn't done - the camera does a "quick & dirty" decompression
    to obtain an image of a resolution suitable to the LCD panel, or maybe a
    small bit above. When you zoom in on the image, it's just magnifying that
    low-res version, *not* going back and performing another decompression of
    the original.

    Zooming in on a photo shot in "raw" mode seems to be a bit sharper on the
    LCD than one shot in JPEG, but still nowhere near what the LCD *could* be
    displaying if fed the proper information. Because of that, I imagine that
    the camera simply takes a down-sized version of the RAW data to display, and
    simply magnifies that to let you "zoom".

    As always, I could be wrong.

    steve

    Steve Wolfe Guest

  7. #7

    On 2005-01-02, Colin D <ColinDkillspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:

    > Toomanyputters wrote:
    >>
    >> "Dave R knows who" <nguser2uspamnotAOL.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "RichardClinton" <richardclintoncox.net> wrote in message
    >> >

    >> > I've never been able to check focus with the LCD, even with zooming. It
    >> > just doesn't work.
    >>
    >> Hang on! Are you guys talking about the EVF focus, cause I have no way of
    >> focusing through the LCD when taking a shot. Or am I confused as usual?
    >
    > No, we are talking about post-shot viewing on the LCD. You can zoom the
    > image with the button at top right of the camera up to 10x the original
    > image size, and navigate round the image with the < and > buttons.
    >
    > Colin
    Ha! I was reading this thread and trying to imagine how these
    newfangled DSLRs got an image to the LCD on a continuing basis. Pellix
    mirrors? Mirrors that cycle > 30 Hz continuously? Noiselessly!? Walk
    around looking at the LCD instead of the viewfinder, like the non SLR
    digitals? I was starting to get excited!

    What the hell have I missed!

    :O

    Will D.

    Will D. Guest

  8. #8

    "Will D." wrote:

    > > No, we are talking about post-shot viewing on the LCD. You can zoom the
    > > image with the button at top right of the camera up to 10x the original
    > > image size, and navigate round the image with the < and > buttons.
    > >
    > > Colin
    >
    > Ha! I was reading this thread and trying to imagine how these
    > newfangled DSLRs got an image to the LCD on a continuing basis. Pellix
    > mirrors? Mirrors that cycle > 30 Hz continuously? Noiselessly!? Walk
    > around looking at the LCD instead of the viewfinder, like the non SLR
    > digitals? I was starting to get excited!
    >
    > What the hell have I missed!

    Well, youve missed some, but you're in good company, as many others have
    asked the same question. DSLR's do not have preview on the LCD. They
    have optical reflex finders as in film SLR's, and the LCD will show you
    the shot after you have taken it, together with histogram info etc.

    DSLR's have mechanical shutters, and the sensor is not exposed until the
    shot is taken. Additionally, the mirror would be in the way if the
    shutter wasn't there, or was open.

    Colin
    Colin D Guest

  9. #9

    On 2005-01-03, Colin D <ColinDkillspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:

    > "Will D." wrote:
    >>

    >> > No, we are talking about post-shot viewing on the LCD. You can zoom the
    >> > image with the button at top right of the camera up to 10x the original
    >> > image size, and navigate round the image with the < and > buttons.
    >> >
    >> > Colin
    >>
    >> Ha! I was reading this thread and trying to imagine how these
    >> newfangled DSLRs got an image to the LCD on a continuing basis. Pellix
    >> mirrors? Mirrors that cycle > 30 Hz continuously? Noiselessly!? Walk
    >> around looking at the LCD instead of the viewfinder, like the non SLR
    >> digitals? I was starting to get excited!
    >>
    >> What the hell have I missed!
    >>
    > Well, youve missed some, but you're in good company, as many others have
    > asked the same question. DSLR's do not have preview on the LCD. They
    > have optical reflex finders as in film SLR's, and the LCD will show you
    > the shot after you have taken it, together with histogram info etc.
    >
    > DSLR's have mechanical shutters, and the sensor is not exposed until the
    > shot is taken. Additionally, the mirror would be in the way if the
    > shutter wasn't there, or was open.
    >
    > Colin
    Aw shoot! You mean that DSLRs are nothing more than SLRs with a digital
    sensor instead of emulsion film? Here I was all set to get excited
    about some automagical whizbang I'd never heard of before! Dang!
    Finding out that you knew what was going on all along sure is boring...

    At least with DSLRs you get an instant return mirror. The non SLR
    digitals blank out the LCD during image storage, which means that if you
    are following the action, you'd better be using the optical viewfinder,
    for whatever good that would do. With shutter lag, you won't get what
    you want anyway.

    Wonder how many people that are used to the viewfinder digitals actually
    expect DSLRs to have a continuous LCD readout? Wonder how many of those
    know what an SLR camera is? RFL!!

    Will D.

    Will D. Guest

  10. #10

    "Will D." <willdno.spam> wrote in message
    > On 2005-01-03, Colin D <ColinDkillspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >>

    > Wonder how many people that are used to the viewfinder digitals actually
    > expect DSLRs to have a continuous LCD readout? Wonder how many of those
    > know what an SLR camera is? RFL!!
    >
    > Will D.

    Ok, what's an SLR camera....;>

    Rudy Benner Guest

  11. #11

    On 2005-01-03, Rudy Benner <bennerREMOVEpersonainternet.com> wrote:

    > "Will D." <willdno.spam> wrote in message
    >> On 2005-01-03, Colin D <ColinDkillspam.127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >>>

    >> Wonder how many people that are used to the viewfinder digitals actually
    >> expect DSLRs to have a continuous LCD readout? Wonder how many of those
    >> know what an SLR camera is? RFL!!
    >>
    >> Will D.
    >>

    > Ok, what's an SLR camera....;>
    Simple Light Rugged camera? Well, they used to be, at least compared to
    a Speed Graphic. Now, how about Super Luxurious Robot? And then if you
    ask the elite snobs that only tote a Leica M, it's probably Stoopid Loser
    Rangefinder-wannabe.

    What's that you say? Three strikes and out? Oh okay...

    You're up to bat, Rudy.

    ;)

    Will D.

    Will D. Guest

  12. #12

    It just doesn't seem logical ( what else is new?) to have zoom in capacity
    that yields a blurry image. Would that it could show the area of focus
    point in greater detail. Has anyone with the hacked firmware version
    http://www.bahneman.com/liem/photos/tricks/digital-rebel-tricks.html#what
    had a different experence? Why would the 17-85 IS lens give sharper zoom in
    than the 18-55? Any thoughts?
    Rich
    www.richardclinton.com

    news:net... [/ref]

  13. #13

    RichardClinton wrote:
    Well, the 17-85mm lens is a better lens than the kit lens - which is not
    to say the kit lens is not good, it just isn't as good. Also,
    autofocus, by its nature, has a tolerance built in to prevent constant
    hunting while focusing. A misfocus within the tolerance amount will not
    initiate a re-focus, so the shot can be slightly out of focus, and at
    10x up on the LCD you can see this.

    BTW, this tolerance, or hysteresis, is common to all autofocus systems,
    and not limited to any particular make.

    Colin.
    Colin Guest

  14. #14

    > While I can't say for sure, this is what I *think* is causing it:
    the
    and

    I got digging through the exif data tonight with a Perl module
    (Image::ExifTool), and found that the camera does, indeed, use a low-res
    image for display on the LCD panel. The Exif data has both a thumbnail
    image (160x120, 8k), and a preview image (1536x1024, 221k).

    For fun, I extracted the preview image, and blew it up a little bit, and
    it is of noticeably lesser quality than the original JPG - given the file
    size of only 221k, you'd expect that. The LCD has 118,000 pixels, which
    makes it (I believe) 420x280. That means that you can only zoom in to about
    a 1:4 ratio before you run out of resolution in that preview image, and the
    camera will have to start upsampling to give you something to look at. At
    higher zooms on the viewfinder, because it has to upsample, it could either
    show you something blocky and pixellated, or anti-aliased and "blurry" - it
    looks like Canon chose the blurry. : )

    Interestingly enough, there is also exif data embedded in both the preview
    and thumbnail images - exif data embedded in images which are embedded in
    the exif data embedded in an image!

    steve

    Steve Guest

  15. #15

    Steve Wolfe wrote:

    It might be worse than that - it may 118,000 of red + green + blue pixels,
    i.e. only about 39,000 full-colour pixels.....

    David

    David Guest

  16. #16

    RichardClinton wrote:

    I've been using this function on my OM E300 and it gets sharper and more
    detailed up to the 10X max, easy to see if it's a keeper or not so this
    -is- possible to do well. Just something canon decided to do this other
    way?

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey Guest