Professional Web Applications Themes

Digital SLR Delemma - Photography

All, I have been into photography for a couple of years now and I am really starting to take some decent pictures (in my opinion anyway!). I originally owned a Pentax SLR a few years back but made the decision to swap over to the Canon EOS system a couple of years ago because I wanted to start getting some decent lenses and wanted to go with a pro system like everyone else I suppose. Like most people I choose Canon or Nikon because I thought that the AF lenses I invest in now will more or less last for ...

  1. #1

    Default Digital SLR Delemma

    All,

    I have been into photography for a couple of years now and I am really
    starting to take some decent pictures (in my opinion anyway!). I originally
    owned a Pentax SLR a few years back but made the decision to swap over to
    the Canon EOS system a couple of years ago because I wanted to start getting
    some decent lenses and wanted to go with a pro system like everyone else I
    suppose.

    Like most people I choose Canon or Nikon because I thought that the AF
    lenses I invest in now will more or less last for ever and be able to be
    used on a digital body like the EOS 10D or D1 etc.

    At the moment I only own a few of the great quality cheapish primes such as
    the 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8, 85mm USM. I was about to by my first L series
    200mm telephoto (which is quite big bucks for me, about $1800 Australian or
    $1000US), but after reading about the new Digital SLR system used in the
    Olympus E-1 backed by Kodak, Olympus and Fuji, I am worried I may be
    ivesting in a lense system that will be outdated when I switch to digital.

    Okay, Nikon and Canon make bodies to fit the current EF and Nikkor lenses,
    but does the new FourThree system risk making these two long stand systems
    obsolete? Which would make my colelction of L's a bloody big waste?

    I would probably be up for buying a D10 now, but have always been put off
    but the lack for a 35mm full size CCD/CMOS sensor. The D1s has one, can we
    expect to see a full frame sensor in a prosumer SLR any time soon? This
    would certainly ease my concern, as getting a 24 or 28mm focal equivalent on
    a 1.6x CCD is bloody expensive.

    I still have other concerns however, the FourThree system seems to have a
    few other advantages that worry me even if the Canon and Nikon covert all
    their digital SLR's to 35mm CCDs, and that is lense cost. If you are going
    to standardise on a smaller CCD, does that mean a lense is going to be
    cheaper for the smaller CCD system for a an equivalent focal length? If so,
    the new system seems to have one already. The new system seems to mean you
    will be getting smaller and more compact lenses, is this so? This also
    would be a selling point, especially for pros who have to carry around huge
    heavy lenses.

    The FourThree propaganda also mentions that the lenses are designed to place
    the light onto the CCD in a way that 35mm lenses cannot, even onto a 35mm
    sensor. This pretty much sounds like a load of bull to me, but its the
    anything in this?

    On the surface, the whole FourThree system seems to have a great deal of
    advantages over the 35mm/Digital SLR systems of Canon/Nikon.

    Advantages:
    - Standardized system between participating manufacturers
    (Kodak/Olympus/Fuji)
    - Smaller lenses of equivalent performance to 35mm lense.
    - Lenses that can communicate focal length to camera body, useful for data
    logging of shots.

    Disadvantages:
    - Needs to buy new lenses
    - Smaller CCD only provides 5megapixels currently, but unlikely to stay that
    way (where will it end!)
    - 4:3 aspect ratio.

    One last thing, what is with the 4:3 aspect ratio? I *love* the 3:2 aspect
    of 35mm film (and 35mm CCDs), sure, you can crop the 4:3 in the computer,
    but the the last thing I want to think about when composing an image is what
    I am going to do in Photoshop!

    Any comments on all of this? Anyone? Should I buy that L glass and have to
    replace it in a couple of years?

    Danny.

    Danny Rohr Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Digital SLR Delemma

    I cannot begin to answer all your questions, but, from "my" prespective as
    the soon to be proud owner of a Canon 10D (it's in lay-away,,,,,,,,,but not
    for long! ), I think that if you already are using Cannon glass that is
    compatable with the current crop of Canon DSLR's, then there is really no
    reason that you should wait for the next , latest great thing. I started
    to, and finally decided that I would end up wishing I had not waited. There
    is always going to be something better, either in an already higher priced
    camera or about to be introduced camera.
    I personally feel that the new high priced Wide Angle lenses will come down
    in price. Or at least Canon or other manufacturers will make cheaper
    versions that should satisify all but the most picky amoung us.
    As for communicating to the camera the lenses Focal Length etc. Look at a
    RAW file or a jpg from a Cannon 10D for example, the same data is already
    imbedded in the image. No need to wait for something newer to get that.
    I too hope that one day either the price of the Canon EOS 1Ds (full frame
    sensor) comes down out of the clouds where I can afford it, or Cannon
    decides to produce a cheaper version. Either way, having had a few chances
    to play with a 10D and seeing some of the results from
    different people that use it in PRO work, I can only say, that the 10D beats
    the pants off of anything I have ever done with my 35mm SLR. And yes, I
    know that 90% of a great image is the person taking the image.
    I doubt that you will have to replace L glass within a couple of years
    should you decide to
    go that route. I wish I could afford L glass. In some printed images that
    I have seen, there is a difference. And others, I cannot tell the
    difference.
    Anyway, why wait ? If you truly want a fine DSLR to go along with your
    current EOS system,
    the 10D is not a bad deal.
    I did, and I feel much better about it.
    james

    just my .02 and worth exactly what you paid for it.

    james Guest

  3. #3

    Try visiting www.dpreview.com. There are a ton of threads discussing the
    feature/benefits of the different camera systems. And that's really what
    you're looking to do, buy into a total camera system.

    Today, Canon and Nikon bodies (including Fuji and Kodak variants) own pretty
    much 100% of the DSLR market. Sigma's Forvean DSLR is less than noise level.
    All the major third party lense manufacturers produce lenses for Canon and
    Nikon bodies. Ditto for flash and other accessories.

    The real question is whether the major third party lense and accessory
    manufacturers will develop lenses for the 4/3 standard. If they do, then the
    4/3 system will have a chance of making it. Otherwise you will be locked
    into only Pentax to providing lenses and whatever they want to charge (no
    price competition).

    I have the D100 and love it. I haven't picked up my film body for over a
    year.

    Good luck on your decision.

    Regards,
    W.