Professional Web Applications Themes

Digital vs Slide Projectors - Photography

On 13 Jul 2003 22:58:50 GMT Tony Whitaker ( [email]newsgroupst_o_n_y_whitaker.com[/email] ) Wrote > Here's a subject I haven't seen discussed before. Someone in the "Digital v > Film" thread (the one started during the week of 7-12-2003) brought this > up. > > How do digital image projectors compare to slide projectors? > > My guess is that the digital projectos are inferior, but, if I hadn't > printed digital images myself 3 years ago, I would have guessed that > digital images would never equal film. > How are you comparing? As far as image quality goes, possibly SOME ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Digital vs Slide Projectors

    On 13 Jul 2003 22:58:50 GMT
    Tony Whitaker ( [email]newsgroupst_o_n_y_whitaker.com[/email] )
    Wrote
    > Here's a subject I haven't seen discussed before. Someone in the "Digital v
    > Film" thread (the one started during the week of 7-12-2003) brought this
    > up.
    >
    > How do digital image projectors compare to slide projectors?
    >
    > My guess is that the digital projectos are inferior, but, if I hadn't
    > printed digital images myself 3 years ago, I would have guessed that
    > digital images would never equal film.

    How are you comparing? As far as image quality goes, possibly SOME slide
    projectors have the edge, but I doubt if it would be apparant from
    anything but very close range, and most of them have annoying habits
    like going out of focus over all or part of the image from time to time.
    My digital projector operates in a brightly lit room, which no slide
    projector can. And then there's all the other things that a digital
    projector can do: add text, effects, take input from multiple sources,
    show video, show spreadsheets or doents which can be corrected
    onscreen, add sound, have picture within picture and zooming, adjust
    for keystone effect...etc. etc.etc. - who would waste money on a slide
    projector? And who could be bothered with all the trouble: sorting and
    storing slides, not to mention the noise. And let's not begin on the
    trouble of having to actually take all your own slides rather than
    download them from the net or buy them in their tens of thousands on a
    CD.
    Alan Brennan Guest

  2. #2

    Alan Brennan <notso.fast.buddy> wrote in
    news:MPG.197cb025f1b21bf2989688news.paradise.net. nz:
    > How are you comparing?
    Like I said, someone else brought the subject up. I was thinking mainly
    about image quality when viewing still images.

    I personally don't have any experience with either - just curious.

    The points you make are all interesting.
    Tony Whitaker Guest

  3. #3

    Digital projectors aren't yet photography-oriented, but more for projection
    of Powerpoint presentations, etc- and hence limited to monitor-type
    resolutions. From what I can tell, for about 4000 you can get a digital
    projector that maxes out at 1024x768... 2000 buying only a 800x600.

    For that much, you could get a Rollei 66 projector and enough change for a
    used 'flex, or a Pradovit and used M6TTL/50mm. So, as yet, digital doesn't
    have the edge on film in projection. And don't be thinking this is going to
    improve rapidly, like digital cameras; the University unit we have is quite
    elderly, and only manages 640x480 IIRC.

    --
    Martin
    [url]http://www.btinternet.com/~mcsalty[/url]

    Martin Francis Guest

  4. #4

    Hi,

    I have done both, slide shows with slide projectors and slide shows with
    digital projectors and while I did not compare the two side by side, I will
    take a laptop and a projector any time over slides.

    The time to prepare a slide show with the carousells, synchronizing music and
    narration, packing the 20 or 30 pounds of equipment might be worth the better
    picture but for me, give me a laptop and a 5-7 pound projector any time.
    Todays software to create slide shows is outstanding and editting music and
    narratives is a breeze.

    for a 30 minute show you need about 3 carousells, a projector, and a tape
    recorder with fairly large speakers. The room has to be in total darknes.

    For the same show on CD (or hard drive) you need a projector, small compact
    speakers, and with some you don't even need a laptop.

    Since so many people are used to seing their pictures on a monitor (or on TV)
    they are used to seing the 1024x768 resolution (XGA) and new projectors are
    comming out monthly with 1280x1024 resolution.

    ..

    For a 30 minute show
    Rosita

    HRosita Guest

  5. #5

    Tony Whitaker <newsgroupst_o_n_y_whitaker.com> writes:
    >How do digital image projectors compare to slide projectors?
    Most of them are around 1 megapixel. Also, you can often see individual
    pixels on the screen at reasonable viewing distance. Given this, the
    quality is about what you'd expect.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale Guest

  6. #6

    Tony Whitaker <newsgroupst_o_n_y_whitaker.com> writes:
    > Here's a subject I haven't seen discussed before. Someone in the "Digital v
    > Film" thread (the one started during the week of 7-12-2003) brought this
    > up.
    >
    > How do digital image projectors compare to slide projectors?
    More expensive. Also the bulbs are tremendously expensive (like $300
    for a bulb with about 30 hours of useful life).

    Very useful for powerpoint presentations, still.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <dd-bdd-b.net>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
    David Dyer-Bennet Guest

  7. #7

    On 13 Jul 2003 22:05:49 -0500
    David Dyer-Bennet ( [email]dd-bdd-b.net[/email] )
    Wrote
    > Tony Whitaker <newsgroupst_o_n_y_whitaker.com> writes:
    >
    > > Here's a subject I haven't seen discussed before. Someone in the "Digital v
    > > Film" thread (the one started during the week of 7-12-2003) brought this
    > > up.
    > >
    > > How do digital image projectors compare to slide projectors?
    >
    > More expensive. Also the bulbs are tremendously expensive (like $300
    > for a bulb with about 30 hours of useful life).
    A DP bulb will last about 2000 hours.

  8. #8

    Alan Brennan <notso.fast.buddy> writes:
    > On 13 Jul 2003 22:05:49 -0500
    > David Dyer-Bennet ( [email]dd-bdd-b.net[/email] )
    > Wrote
    >
    > > Tony Whitaker <newsgroupst_o_n_y_whitaker.com> writes:
    > >
    > > > Here's a subject I haven't seen discussed before. Someone in the "Digital v
    > > > Film" thread (the one started during the week of 7-12-2003) brought this
    > > > up.
    > > >
    > > > How do digital image projectors compare to slide projectors?
    > >
    > > More expensive. Also the bulbs are tremendously expensive (like $300
    > > for a bulb with about 30 hours of useful life).
    >
    > A DP bulb will last about 2000 hours.
    Not on any projector I've actually examined the specs on, over the
    last 5 years.

  9. #9

    On 13 Jul 2003 23:35:04 -0500
    David Dyer-Bennet ( [email]dd-bdd-b.net[/email] )
    Wrote
    > Alan Brennan <notso.fast.buddy> writes:
    >
    > > On 13 Jul 2003 22:05:49 -0500
    > > David Dyer-Bennet ( [email]dd-bdd-b.net[/email] )
    > > Wrote

    > > > More expensive. Also the bulbs are tremendously expensive (like $300
    > > > for a bulb with about 30 hours of useful life).
    > >
    > > A DP bulb will last about 2000 hours.
    >
    > Not on any projector I've actually examined the specs on, over the
    > last 5 years.
    I don't know where you've been looking. The standard bulb in almost all
    projectors now has a 2,000 hours bulb life. My rather primitive 2000
    ansi-lumens Infocus 500 DLP now has 1260 hours on the original bulb and
    its still as bright as the day I bought it. I fully expect it to last
    the 2000+ hours the brochure claims for it.

    Alan Brennan Guest

  10. #10

    >David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    > Also the bulbs are tremendously expensive (like $300
    >for a bulb with about 30 hours of useful life).
    Hi,

    I think you either misread the bulb spec or you left out a couple of zeros.
    Lamp life lasts from 1000 hours to 3000 hours. Even at the low end, if you run
    the projector for 3 hour a day it would last a year.
    Rosita

    HRosita Guest

  11. #11

    There is an even wider variation in resolution of digital projectors
    than film resolutions or digital camera pixel numbers. Just look at the
    VERY wide range of prices. The variance is so great I don't think a
    blanket comparison is even warranted.

    On the other hand, there used to be very bad film projectors sold with
    hunks of glass that really didn't warrant the term 'lens' :-(

    Tony Whitaker wrote:

    > Here's a subject I haven't seen discussed before. Someone in the "Digital v
    > Film" thread (the one started during the week of 7-12-2003) brought this
    > up.
    >
    > How do digital image projectors compare to slide projectors?
    >
    > My guess is that the digital projectos are inferior, but, if I hadn't
    > printed digital images myself 3 years ago, I would have guessed that
    > digital images would never equal film.
    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota
    [email]staufferusfamily.net[/email]

  12. #12

    On 13 Jul 2003 23:35:04 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-bdd-b.net> found
    these unused words floating about:
    >Alan Brennan <notso.fast.buddy> writes:
    >
    >> On 13 Jul 2003 22:05:49 -0500
    >> David Dyer-Bennet ( [email]dd-bdd-b.net[/email] )
    >> Wrote

    >> > More expensive. Also the bulbs are tremendously expensive (like $300
    >> > for a bulb with about 30 hours of useful life).
    >>
    >> A DP bulb will last about 2000 hours.
    >
    >Not on any projector I've actually examined the specs on, over the
    >last 5 years.
    In over 20 years of projecting video, through -all- types of
    projectors, I've never run across a -professional- unit that had less
    than 700 hours lamp life as part of the specs.

    We wouldn't make it through a single multiday conference with that
    'life'. NO A/V house would buy that model either!

    Most units have a warning that pops up when you have about 30 hours
    -left- ! Sanyos will not fire if the lamp is too 'old' (beyond
    allowable hours).

    J. A. Mc. Guest

  13. #13

    I agree with Don, most slide projectors have coke bottle lenses, there are
    lenses out there that are excellent but pricey (Leitz etc.) Schneider had a
    80-120 zoom that was excellent for about $125. The Kodak lens that most
    projectors came with was an affront to good images.
    Digital projectors are close to impressive, looks to me on par with the Kodak
    drivel but the convenience of the package is where digital shines.

    Tom

    In article <3F12B62B.D0637683usfamily.net>, [email]staufferusfamily.net[/email] says...

    >There is an even wider variation in resolution of digital projectors
    >than film resolutions or digital camera pixel numbers. Just look at the
    >VERY wide range of prices. The variance is so great I don't think a
    >blanket comparison is even warranted.
    >
    >On the other hand, there used to be very bad film projectors sold with
    >hunks of glass that really didn't warrant the term 'lens' :-(
    >
    >Don Stauffer in Minnesota
    >staufferusfamily.net
    >webpage- [url]http://www.usfamily.net/web/stauffer[/url]
    Tom Monego Guest