Professional Web Applications Themes

Direct X 9 features in Director - Macromedia Director 3D

Hello, I am about to start a project using Director MX 2004 and 3D MAX 7. I'm a junior games artist and we've been learning to create and use shaders in 3D max. I wanted to know if there is anyway of getting the shaders and Direct X 9 features to work in Director? I'm not looking to publish this online, so I'm not worried about file size etc. It will just be to showcase an environment and some characters that I will be making, in real-time. I'm not much of a programmer but I have had experience with Director. ...

  1. #1

    Default Direct X 9 features in Director

    Hello,

    I am about to start a project using Director MX 2004 and 3D MAX 7. I'm a
    junior games artist and we've been learning to create and use shaders in 3D
    max. I wanted to know if there is anyway of getting the shaders and Direct X 9
    features to work in Director? I'm not looking to publish this online, so I'm
    not worried about file size etc. It will just be to showcase an environment and
    some characters that I will be making, in real-time. I'm not much of a
    programmer but I have had experience with Director.

    Are there any Xtras or any examples available that use any pixel shader
    features in Director? Even simple bump-mapping would be good.

    Thanks.

    GundamMG Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Direct X 9 features in Director

    Sadly the shockwave 3D engine has not been updated to keep up with the new
    graphic card capabilities of DirectX 8.0 or 9.0. It can't handle vertex or
    pixel shaders, and even lightmaps require a lot of lingo to get working. You
    cannot reliably turn on antialiasing either.

    I am not aware of any Xtras that enable this functionality, or any plans
    that MM will add them in the future, but we still live in hope. Whether
    Adobe will finally update shockwave3D/Director or just axe it entirely
    remains to be seen.

    If anybody else has heard any news please let me know! (Necromanthus?)

    [url]www.kaon.com[/url] seem to have managed to imbed 3D into Flash which is even more
    depressing for Director users as it removes the "3D virtual product" market
    that Director had carved out.

    Shockwave3D is still useful for online games though despite being seriously
    out of date feature wise.

    Richard

    Richard Guest

  3. #3

    Originally posted by: RichardIf anybody else has heard any news please let me
    know! (Necromanthus?)

    Nothing so far Richard.
    Anyway, they need more time to move their headquarters
    (tables,armchairs,carpets, paintings,etc) ...
    Now talking about DX8 and DX9 : vertex and pixel shaders is an option.
    But to be honest, I'm more interested in: faster 3D engine, increased number
    of polygons and improved lighting.

    best regards

    necromanthus Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Necromanthus, resurrector of retro FPS's.
    > Anyway, they need more time to move their headquarters
    > (tables,armchairs,carpets, paintings,etc) ...
    > Now talking about DX8 and DX9 : vertex and pixel shaders is an option.
    > But to be honest, I'm more interested in: faster 3D engine, increased
    > number
    > of polygons and improved lighting.
    Yeah, definitely. Having looked into HLSL it would be pretty hard to
    implement in lingo anyway, plus the card capability version issues split the
    potential, even amongst recent cards.

    I think the renderStateChange issue is probably the biggest limiting factor
    that they should look at?

    Richard

    Richard Guest

  5. #5

    Originally posted by: Richard
    Hi Necromanthus, resurrector of retro FPS's.
    In fact, the game engine for Warcraft 3 Reloaded is 100% operational.
    But I'm out of time (and I have to destroy Vivendi's stronghold first of all
    .... ha ha ha).
    Also I have to resurrect some ancient EGGS this year.
    We'll see ...

    cheers

    necromanthus Guest