Professional Web Applications Themes

Director 11 - AGEIA PhysX 3D engine? - Macromedia Director 3D

Director 11 now has something called the AGEIA PhysX 3D engine. Could someone please explain (in simple terms) what this is and how it differs from the previous Director 3D engine? I use Director extensively but only have limited experience with its 3D features. I am hoping this new feature will change that. http://www.adobe.com/products/director/...

  1. #1

    Default Director 11 - AGEIA PhysX 3D engine?

    Director 11 now has something called the AGEIA PhysX 3D engine. Could
    someone please explain (in simple terms) what this is and how it differs
    from the previous Director 3D engine? I use Director extensively but only
    have limited experience with its 3D features. I am hoping this new feature
    will change that.

    http://www.adobe.com/products/director/

    TJD Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Director 11 - AGEIA PhysX 3D engine?

    Don't dream too much:
    http://www.ageia.com/physx/faqs.html

    PS
    On february 4th 2008 nNVidia bought AGEIA and the PhysX engine.
    Romeo.Marian Guest

  3. #3

    I was waiting for a new integration with the Havok dynamics engine.....

    Im wondering about the AGEIA PhysX capabilities (softbodys / rigidbodys /
    particles / fluids / dashpots).

    Havok was integrated in 3DStudio Max (Reactor) with many great features like
    ropes or ragdolls witch simplify the use of many functions with the export of
    the hke files. But now.......lets wait....

    luis.grifu Guest

  4. #4

    The Ageia PhysX Engine replaces the Havok Xtra which was not included in
    DirectorMX2004. It will be faster and better then the old Havok Xtra.This is
    very good news because it will also be able to use it's raycasting system that
    will be a faster option then "modelsunderray".

    From the director-L Mailing list:
    "Some highlights - (physics based raycasting, terrain maps, concave
    collisions, 6dof joints, and all with faster performance - perhaps the most
    critical - it will all work on Vista and MacTel.)"
    (Allen Partridge, Director Evangelist...)

    Sounds like the best news for Director11 :)

    hondo3000 Guest

  5. #5

    [q]Originally posted by: hondo3000
    The Ageia PhysX Engine replaces the Havok Xtra which was not included in
    DirectorMX2004. It will be faster and better then the old Havok Xtra.This is
    very good news because it will also be able to use it's raycasting system that
    will be a faster option then "modelsunderray".

    From the director-L Mailing list:
    "Some highlights - (physics based raycasting, terrain maps, concave
    collisions, 6dof joints, and all with faster performance - perhaps the most
    critical - it will all work on Vista and MacTel.)"
    (Allen Partridge, Director Evangelist...)

    Sounds like the best news for Director11 :)[/q]

    Hi Lutz,

    The Ageia PhysX Engine cannot replace the Havok Xtra.

    Ageia PhysX engine has been included in few games (Unreal 3 is probably the
    most popular).
    Unfortunately, in 99% of the cases is disabled!
    Why?
    Ageia PhysX engine requires aditional hardware: a PPU (Physics Processing
    Unit) on a PCI card.
    In other words, Director 11 has support (an Xtra) for AGEIA PhysX
    engine.
    This doesn't mean too much, because users with Ageia PhysX processor represent
    less than 1% of the market.
    But let's hope this is a "visionary move" and the Director's future is bright.

    cheers

    necromanthus Guest

  6. #6

    [q]Originally posted by: necromanthus
    [Q]Originally posted by: hondo3000
    The Ageia PhysX Engine replaces the Havok Xtra which was not included in
    DirectorMX2004. It will be faster and better then the old Havok Xtra.This is
    very good news because it will also be able to use it's raycasting system that
    will be a faster option then "modelsunderray".

    From the director-L Mailing list:
[...]

    [/q]

    I am not sure about your statement. While it is true that the AGEIA PhysX
    Engine can be supported by a PPU it is not required. As far as I see it atm,
    we'll (hopefully) get new, optimized and faster physics support for Director
    with some nice features, which hopefully will support hardware acceleration in
    the future as well. Especially since nVIDIA bought the lot and we'll propably
    see graphics cards with hardware accelerated "physics" support in the near
    future as well.

    PpHammer Guest

  7. #7

    I'm not sure, but doesn't the AGEIA PhysX 3D engine require a PPU, and
    therefore specific hardware on the development/client machine? If true that's a
    bummer, 'cause I personally don't know anyone that has a PPU card installed.
    I'm not going to slap down $100 or more just to use this engine, and I am
    definitely not going to ask clients to do so. The info on the AGEIA site for
    the free version of the SDK mentions "No PhysX hardware optimization
    requirement"; that's a good sign.

    I see on the Partners page on the AGEIA site that there's a Max plugin, that
    should make our modelers happy. Interestingly enough, even though Unity is
    listed, Director is not.

    If it has a decent software mode, sort of like the software renderer for W3D
    that'll be great.

    Last I'd heard Havok was back in the game. I guess Intel buying Havok changed
    that? Not that that really bothers me. Havok never clicked with me anyhow.

    Oh well, it's a brave new world. I suppose the first step will be to download
    the free SDK and start looking under the hood. Once Director 11 is in our hands
    we can see exaclty how the AGEIA engine implemented.

    Ex Guest

  8. #8

    PhysX is both software and hardware engine.
    The driver does not need the PPU to run most fo the physics. The only thing
    that requires the PPU is fluids.
    Ofcourse if you do have the PPU then you can pump out more collisions etc...
    making your physics run much faster.
    I use PhysX driver without the PPU and its been running fine so far.
    The better news is Physx is accuired by nVidia so I cant wait to see the PPU
    integrated on newer graphic cards.

    "Ex Malterra" <com> wrote in message

    Husam Guest

  9. #9

    [q]Originally posted by: PpHammer
    While it is true that the AGEIA PhysX Engine can be supported by a PPU it is
    not required.[/q]

    AGEIA PhysX without PPU (in "software mode") runs as fast as Havok on a 500MHz
    Celeron.

    cheers

    necromanthus Guest

  10. #10

    [q]Originally posted by: necromanthusAGEIA PhysX without PPU (in
    "software mode") runs as fast as Havok on a 500MHz Celeron.[/q]

    That's good news! Any doentation available, or is the SDK the best bet for
    now?

    Ex Guest

  11. #11

    [q]Originally posted by: Ex Malterra
    [Q]Originally posted by: necromanthus
    AGEIA PhysX without PPU (in "software mode") runs as fast as Havok on a
    500MHz Celeron.[/Q]

    That's good news! Any doentation available, or is the SDK the best bet for
    now?[/q]

    LOL ... I really like this guy.
    The Director team developed the AGEIA Xtra using the same SDK, so ...

    Anyway, here is the "funny" part:
    1) INTEL is the main developer of the (ancient) Shockwave 3D asset.
    2) 7 years ago, Macromedia, Intel and Havok were partners.
    3) Adobe bought Macromedia
    4) Intel bought Havok
    5) nVidia bought Ageia
    Instead of "Adobe & Intel" we'll get "Adobe and nVidia".

    cheers

    necromanthus Guest

  12. #12

    [q]Originally posted by: Husam
    PhysX is both software and hardware engine.[/q]

    We all know that, but here it's about global performances.
    Ageia is selling dedicated processors and drivers for them.
    That's why nVidia bought them.
    Havok has a great experience related to software physics.
    That's all about here.

    necromanthus Guest

  13. #13

    [q]Originally posted by: necromanthus
    LOL ... I really like this guy.
    The Director team developed the AGEIA Xtra using the same SDK, so ...[/q]

    I like you too!

    I'm anxious to delve into this new physics engine and have created my AGEIA
    account so I can download the free SDK and get to learnin'. What I'm interested
    in is what peculiarities there are specific to the Director Xtra and how it
    implements the engine. Oh well, I'll find out first hand in a few weeks I
    suppose.

    Ex Guest

  14. #14

    Ageia works defenitely without phyx-hardware. This is only required when you
    want to do very complex scenes with hundreds/thousands of colliding objects.
    The "software-mode" is fast and will work everywhere.

    If you all want to test it for yourself, there is a demo-game available at the
    german directorforum:
    http://www.directorforum.de/showthread.php?t=75892

    hondo3000 Guest

  15. #15

    Man this is great news! Cant wait to get my hands on this.

    I had one question and I dont know if any of you can answer this. So currently
    if I export a model with a reflection map from 3d studio to W3D it will make
    that map standard and kill the reflection, because the plug-in doesnt support
    it. Since director 11 supports W3D for it's 3D models, will there be a new
    plugin so it can add all the DX9 functionality in the W3D file? This worries me
    because they may add support for DX9, but if you can't get that data out of 3D
    studio you will have to create everything in Directory.

    Does anyone know the answer to this?

    KingDruid Guest

  16. #16

    [q]Originally posted by: hondo3000
    The "software-mode" is fast and will work everywhere - at least the
    performance will be better then the performance of the old havok xtra. I think
    the havok xtra will still work in D11...[/q]

    Compared with the old Havox xtra, AGEIA PhysX runs a little bit slower.
    Talking about physics engines and their latest versions, Havok runs
    much faster!
    I did a test using a custom map (approx. the same number of polygons and
    movable objects):
    Unreal 3 (Ageia) v.s. Half-Life 2 (Havok), of course, both of them in
    "software mode".
    Havok physics is 40-60% faster!
    The main point here is that Shockwave 3D is already full of frame rate issues
    (that's why i don't use Havok).
    But let's hope Ageia is gonna kick the market and we'll get "a PPU in every
    computer" very soon.

    cheers

    necromanthus Guest

  17. #17

    [q]Originally posted by: hondo3000
    If you all want to test it for yourself, there is a demo-game available at the
    german directorforum:
    http://www.directorforum.de/showthread.php?t=75892[/q]

    My main system to test Shockwave 3D pieces: P4 2.4GHz, 512MB RAM, GeForce
    FX5200.
    - the screenshots are looking better than the real thing ;)
    - the initialization time is HUGE (very annoying).
    - in most of the areas I get less than 8 FPS (!?!)
    - the physics Xtra is 2.42MB (compared to 560KB - the old Havok Xtra).
    I think it's enough for today.

    cheers

    necromanthus Guest

  18. #18

    http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii249/RomeoMarian/Director11/Director11_game.jpg

    Ageia PhysX or bad programming?
    Romeo.Marian Guest

  19. #19

    Hmm... this doesn't look any better then Director did 5 or 6 years ago. Hopefully there are other features that could justify an upgrade (macromix audio delay I hear still isn't one of them)...
    scarroll Guest

  20. #20

    [q]Originally posted by: necromanthus
    Ageia is selling dedicated processors and drivers for them.
    That's why nVidia bought them.
    [/q]

    As to my knowledge, nVidia tries to leverage their CUDA Framework,
    which will enable PhysX calculation on GPU instead of Ageia PPU.

    CUDA got a boost of interest just some days ago, when nVidia officially
    anounced additional CUDA support for Mac platform.

    If I were you, I wouldn't worry to much about the nVidia/Ageia side of the
    game.
    I'd be more anxious about the quality of the PhysX Xtra implementation by
    Adobe. :)

    Anyway. I like to dream of softbodies (deformation & resistance), fluids,
    volumetric force fields and cloth.
    None of them were part of the old Havok Xtra and I'm very keen to learn
    what actually will be possible in D11, when it ships.

    Cheers,
    Martin Schaefer
    Adobe User Group Manager
    www.directorforum.de