Professional Web Applications Themes

Director 11 - Any exporter improvements? - Macromedia Director 3D

Now that Adobe has announced Director 11, will there be any improvements in the situation with modeling and animation applications exporting W3D? This has been a weak spot for a long time now. I've been banging my head against the wall trying to use Cinema 4D, which exports keyframe based motions just fine but not bones. I can't seem to use any of the great joint / skin stuff that MOCCA has because it doesn't survive the export. It seems as though 3ds Max is the only really usable application, as far as i can tell. It would be great ...

  1. #1

    Default Director 11 - Any exporter improvements?

    Now that Adobe has announced Director 11, will there be any improvements in the
    situation with modeling and animation applications exporting W3D? This has
    been a weak spot for a long time now. I've been banging my head against the
    wall trying to use Cinema 4D, which exports keyframe based motions just fine
    but not bones. I can't seem to use any of the great joint / skin stuff that
    MOCCA has because it doesn't survive the export. It seems as though 3ds Max is
    the only really usable application, as far as i can tell.

    It would be great if Adobe could release and support exporters for the others,
    such as C4D, Lightwave, etc. A Blender exporter would be great for open source
    people too. If they really want to kickstart this thing, they need to help us
    get our stuff into W3D! IMHO

    Is anyone having any luck with character animation in anything but 3ds Max?

    Robert Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Director 11 - Any exporter improvements?

    This has nothing to do with Director directly but is rather down to
    whatever company/developer's familiarity with the w3d exporter SDK.
    Sean Guest

  3. #3

    Well, I know that's the approach that Macromedia and Adobe have traditionally
    taken -- release and SDK and rely on other vendors to spend time and resources
    to use the SDK to develop an exporter and support it. I've worked at companies
    that tried to take that approach.

    The problem is, the other vendors need to see a market that justifies the
    expense of that effort, and as we've seen over the last 10 years or so, few of
    the vendors sees enough of a market for Shockwave 3D to make more than a token
    effort. 10 years of trying that approach seems sufficient to know it isn't
    working. The result is very uneven, buggy support for W3D. This doesn't help
    build momentum for Director or W3D.

    However, Adobe has an opportunity to kick start W3D if they remove that
    problem by supporting exporters. A free exporter for Blender would go a long
    way with students and others on a budget. For others major platforms, they
    could even sell them. I for one would love to buy an exporter for Cinema 4D,
    and I'm sure Maxon would be happy about that too. As it is, 3ds Max has
    apparently the only really usable exporter for W3D character animation, and it
    sells for $3,499.

    Limiting their market to developers who can afford to spend $3.5k for an
    application is not a great way to build the 3D market for Director 11.

    Robert Guest

  4. #4

    Hi there, The cheaper option to Max is Newtek Lightwave whos w3D exporter
    can handle weight mapped bone animations no problem. See my Elfric toy for
    an example...

    www.funpods.com

    Cheers
    Richard Smith