Professional Web Applications Themes

Director for Car Driving SIM - Macromedia Director 3D

Dear all, I would like to know from you if Director is a good choice for designing a Car Driving SIM. I am worry about physics, AI and Networking support and If Director will be alive after the transition Macromedia-Adobe? Thanks in advance...

  1. #1

    Default Director for Car Driving SIM

    Dear all,

    I would like to know from you if Director is a good choice for designing a Car
    Driving SIM. I am worry about physics, AI and Networking support and If
    Director will be alive after the transition Macromedia-Adobe?

    Thanks in advance

    OlandoCR Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Director for Car Driving SIM

    1) Cars & Physics
    Probably the best example (Havok physics, very old) :
    [url]http://director-online.com/havok/demos/demo-cardemo2.html[/url]
    2) Networking
    There're planty examples over the net. Foe example : [url]http://www.maidmarian.com[/url]
    3) Alive after "transition"
    Has to be ! Director has no real competitors and the (ancient) SW3D engine is
    a great piece of work.

    necromanthus Guest

  3. #3

    Hi OlandoCR,

    If you just want Shockwave 3D and physics, and not AI or network support
    ( for now ), check out...

    [url]http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/triplex2/site/game/game_mission.html[/url]

    If you have an existing 3D environment, you can use this app ( does not
    need Director, free evaluation ) to drive around it, in Shockwave 3D.

    [url]http://www.candointeractive.com/gamedesign/car[/url]

    Mal
    Mal Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks guys for those nice links. The examples are amazing and more if you take
    into account they use old version of Havok and a Shockwave Engine with no
    updates for long time. In my case Mal, yes I need AI specially for path
    finding. Maybe Networking can be a secondary request by now but AI is needed.
    What I do not want is to invest my time in something that will be out of the
    market soon or no updates will be released as well.

    I appreciate your help

    OlandoCR Guest

  5. #5

    OlandoCR wrote:
    > Thanks guys for those nice links. The examples are amazing and more if you take
    > into account they use old version of Havok and a Shockwave Engine with no
    > updates for long time. In my case Mal, yes I need AI specially for path
    > finding. Maybe Networking can be a secondary request by now but AI is needed.
    > What I do not want is to invest my time in something that will be out of the
    > market soon or no updates will be released as well.
    Hi. While it doesn´t seems like it´s going to be an update of the 3D
    features soon, Director will be on the market. The Director Team it´s
    working on a new version so at least you can expect some years more of
    life for this product ;)
    --
    Agustín María Rodríguez | Interactive Director
    Methanoia Studio | [url]http://www.methanoia.com[/url]

  6. #6

    Hi, i'm new in this forum.
    About Car simulation in shockwave, maybe you want to take a look to this:

    [url]http://homepage.mac.com/ikiboy[/url]

    ikiboy from Sapin.
    ikiboy Guest

  7. #7

    Wow that looks very cool ikiboy, nice work!

    I'd like to chip in and say that yes I believe Director is indeed capable of
    decent car simulation. Im working on a car sim / racing game at the moment. The
    only problem is that shockwave can't handle massively high poly scenes, which
    apart from making the cars and tracks look less detailed also can cause
    problems with the physics of the car on the road, especially on hills - instead
    of following a smooth gradient the car might bump on top of the polys. However
    im still amazed at the visual quality you can achieve.

    Im not a fan of havok car physics myself, I personally dont really like how it
    feels, which is why I'm writing my physics from scratch. I'll be publishing all
    the code in several few months too, when its finished - fingers crossed.

    Keep us posted if you choose to use shockwave as your engine, OlandoCR, and
    good luck !

    Tom RR Guest