Professional Web Applications Themes

Director vs Atmosphere - Macromedia Director 3D

Late in the game here but I have been using that Adobe product and would like to add that they do have: - the same Havok Physics engine - Hardware Acceleration - You can do Animation (quite a few ways but you can go to that other forum for more info) Also since I am also on their Beta (what 3d nerd wouldn't be) there are quite a few more cool things on they way. I have read/seen/used the products and the comparison's are usally not realistic because they are quite different products. As Medion explained already... Cheers, 3d Monkey...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Director vs Atmosphere

    three_d_monkey webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Hi 3d Monkey,

    thanks for the advise. How do you get to be on the atmophere beta team? I'm doing a PHD at the moment in online gaming and i'm spending a lot of time building quick demo's with atmosphere to test some ideas. It would be great to be part of the official beta testing and get some of that insider knowledge.

    Cheers,

    Anoka.

    Anoka webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    I got on the Beta probably because I have been using it for awhile and active on their forums. So they actually invited me. If you go to the Atmosphere User Forum, you can probably post a meesage and ask to be on it. I would also tell them what you are interested in doing...

    Good luck!

  4. #4

    On an overall, I found the Atmosphere engine one of the slowest of the web3D bunch (SW3D, Virtools, T3D, Cult3D), even in HS accelerated mode (tested it on a Duron 950MHz, 320MB RAM and a 64MB AGP GeForce2MX400 - I expected it to run at above 10 fps...).

    But maybe I was was really unfortunate on the samples I visited, and they all were based on the "envronment" concept. But there might be people out there trying to setup a game in it. There ALWAYS people trying to make games with *anything*. :)

    One huge difference I noticed is that Atmosphere is more geared on interacting with the HTML page that hosts it, and most examples had their interface in the webpage itself, whereas Director is more gearing in having everything done inside it.

    One question: do the atmosphere player runs the scripts using it's own interpreter/VM, or it relies on the browser's Javascript engine (like VRML)?

    Medion webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    I would have to disagree, I have a P4 1ghz GeForce2 and P4 2ghz GeForce4 and they both run quite fast. Virtools is comparable in speed or slower, from what i have seen of their onlne examples (when they work). If Atmosphere displays a single object like a Cult3D (which would be better compared to ViewPoint) viewer then easily the same performance.
    Also it is tricky to unlock the Hardware accelration currently, are you sure you did? I agree some demo's are more forgiving than others!

    Yes, the Atmosphere player runs the scripts using it's own interpreter.

  6. #6

    hmmmm, it runs about 20fps for me here and the load on my DSL was only about 10-15 seconds for the whole scene.

    It won't be much longer, when I spoke to some of the developers at Siggraph they said before the end of the year. Should make things quite interesting...

    I like having a wide choice when it comes to 3d software!

    three_d_monkey webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  7. #7

    "Medion" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > [url]http://www.atmospherians.com/directory/index.php[/url]
    Didn´t worked on Netscape. In IE, took more than a minute to load in my
    512kbps cablemodem connection. I´ve got around 12 fps in my Intel P4 2.4
    - 512mb - GeForce4 mx440 64mb.

    ´nuff said....
    --
    Agustín María Rodríguez | [email]agustinOnWine.com.ar[/email] | [url]www.OnWine.com.ar[/url]

    Agustín María Rodríguez Guest

  8. #8

    If you read the doentation it says they do not support Netscape.

    Oh well, I have a 768 + DSl and it works great... *it happens.

  9. #9

    Medion is right - I looked at some of the Atmosphere demos that 3dmonkey
    pointed to - dog slow. Shockwave beats atmosphere, hands down in quality and
    rendering speed IMO. Now, let's ignore the troll.

    --

    Dave Mennenoh
    [url]http://www.crackconspiracy.com/~davem[/url]

    Dave Mennenoh Guest