Professional Web Applications Themes

Directory Security via ASP / Or Adding user to Win2000 users - ASP Database

Hello, I am working on a doent management system for a client. I am planning to set up the system so that doents are protected, sort of.. A user has an access level and based on that access level, a list of available doents will display as an HTML page and the user can click a hyperlink to download or view the selected doent. I am planning to handle this all through a SQL database and ASP.. What I would REALLY like to do, though, is protect a set of directories so that a user could not just enter a ...

  1. #1

    Default Directory Security via ASP / Or Adding user to Win2000 users

    Hello,

    I am working on a doent management system for a client. I am planning to
    set up the system so that doents are protected, sort of.. A user has an
    access level and based on that access level, a list of available doents
    will display as an HTML page and the user can click a hyperlink to download
    or view the selected doent.

    I am planning to handle this all through a SQL database and ASP..

    What I would REALLY like to do, though, is protect a set of directories so
    that a user could not just enter a URL and download a doent without being
    prompted for a username and password if he/she hasn't already logged in.

    I have done something like this using AuthnetiX from Flicks Software, but
    this current client is trying to create a solution "on the cheap", and so
    I'd like to see if I can build the solution using the secuirty mechanisms
    built into the O/S.

    What I'm thinking is that I'll set up the directories and assign a group
    access to each directory.. My question then is, can I add users to the
    "Local Users and Groups" for Windows 2000 via ASP?

    Thanks,

    Rich

    Richard Morey Guest

  3. #3

    Yes you can. Start here: [url]http://www.15seconds.com/focus/ADSI.htm[/url]

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    [url]http://www.iistoolshed.com/[/url] - tools, scripts, and utilities for running IIS

    Tom Kaminski [MVP] Guest

  4. #4

  5. #5

    Hi..

    Probably.. thanks for pointing those out for me..

    Rich

    "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (AT) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
    > Isn't this what you want to do (3rd and 4th link)?
    >
    > Nov 27, 2001 - Learning ADSI - Part 2: Editing Users and
    Administering

  6. #6

  7. #7

    Hi Rich,

    I had the same problem. I write the following script to add users to
    a local group.

    Sincerly,

    Joerg

    ******
    dim server, group,user

    group= "localGroupName"
    server= "pcName"
    user = "domainuser"

    Set obj = GetObject("WinNT://" & server & ",computer")

    set oGroup = obj.GetObject("group", group)
    oGroup.ADD "WinNT:" & "//Domain" & "/" & user
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    Response.Write "could not add user to group<br>"
    Response.End
    End if

    oGroup.SetInfo

    set oGroup = nothing
    set obj = nothing
    Joerg Guest

  9. #9

    this is a decent application as far as that goes

    [url]www.aspprotect.com[/url]

    "Richard Morey" <rwmorey71hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi..
    >
    > Thanks for that link.. There are a lot of articles listed though. Can you
    > tell me which once I want to be looking at?
    >
    > Also, it seems the titles on most of those articles refer to DOT NET
    stuff,
    > but I'm just doing plain ASP as far as I know..
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Rich
    >
    > "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (AT) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
    > > "Richard Morey" <rwmorey71hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > What I'm thinking is that I'll set up the directories and assign a
    group
    > > > access to each directory.. My question then is, can I add users to the
    > > > "Local Users and Groups" for Windows 2000 via ASP?
    > >
    > > Yes you can. Start here: [url]http://www.15seconds.com/focus/ADSI.htm[/url]
    > >
    > > --
    > > Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    > > [url]http://www.iistoolshed.com/[/url] - tools, scripts, and utilities for running