Professional Web Applications Themes

Disable stylesheet - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

I've designed a template driven site in Dreamweaver. It looks great, works on all browsers and relies on CSS. Nothing new so far... My client would like to edit these pages in contribute but it does not render the page well at all and makes it very hard to alter areas of the page. I'm just wondering if there is a way to turn off the stylesheets within contribute so they can edit the page? I've looked for an option like Turn off Visual Effects / Stylesheets but haven't found anything. I'm really reluctant to having to re-chop all my ...

  1. #1

    Default Disable stylesheet

    I've designed a template driven site in Dreamweaver. It looks great, works on
    all browsers and relies on CSS. Nothing new so far...

    My client would like to edit these pages in contribute but it does not render
    the page well at all and makes it very hard to alter areas of the page.

    I'm just wondering if there is a way to turn off the stylesheets within
    contribute so they can edit the page? I've looked for an option like Turn off
    Visual Effects / Stylesheets but haven't found anything.

    I'm really reluctant to having to re-chop all my stuff to use tables as this
    just isn't the way forward.

    If anyone has any ideas, much appreciated! :o)

    constant_flux Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Disable stylesheet

    I second this request.
    Amazing Guest

  4. #4

    [q]Originally posted by: Amazing Rando
    I second this request.[/q]

    If only someone was listening in from ADOBE! :o)

    As our client has CS3 it would be nice to see it appear in there.

    Would this feature be available as an extension??

    constant_flux Guest

  5. #5

    Hi constant_flux,
    Maybe you can take this in your own hands instead of waiting for Adobe.
    Have you checked your css thouroughly, not just by looking in the browsers,
    but also by using Dreamweavers Browser Compatibility Check (see results window)
    and or tools like the Web Developer Toolbar for Firefox. Often you find very
    annoying bugs, but they can often be solved.
    My experience is that most of the times you can adjust your css to make the
    site render OK in Contribute.
    You can even use conditional statements (for examples:
    http://www.quirksmode.org/css/condcom.html), since Contribute is also
    redndering sites based on a browser (safari on mac and IE on pc).
    Hope this helps in any way.

    ThinkInk Guest

  6. #6

    I'm currently not clued on how to write an extension but believe me it is
    crossing my to do so!

    I appreciate your comments ThinkInk re conditional statements but the page is
    100% valid and there are no errors when checking in any XHTML validator or the
    in built functionality with Dreamweaver.

    I don't know about CS4 but I can assure you previous versions do NOT render
    like Safari or IE LOL! I ensure all my sites work beautifully with Safari,
    Firefox, IE6+ and Opera. Contribute seems to have serious issues with floats
    and all sorts and this draws me back to my original request. By allowing the
    user to simply see divs as outlines and text raw with some stuffs to see the
    difference between headings etc it would allow easy edits on more complex
    styled designs.

    I don't mean to offend in anyway i'm just frustrated. Thanks for your support.

    constant_flux Guest

  7. #7

    I'm not offended :grin; I really hope you get it fixed somehow...

    I do not mean that your css per se has errors, not at all, but sometimes
    playing around with it does solve errors in the displaying in Contribute. My
    comment on checking your css was not to offend you, but there are a lot of
    sites with incorrect css, and users then blame the display problems on browsers
    and cms (contribute or other).

    My comment 'since Contribute is also rendering sites based on a browser
    (safari on mac and IE on pc)' was based on a remark from an adobe employee on
    this forum about browser engines. Adobe is discussing problems on mac users,
    using contribute in relation to safari on this forum. I did not mean that
    Contribute renders a site exactly like these browsers, but I understood that
    Contribute somehow uses the engines of these browers. But I could be wrong of
    course.

    I totally agree that it would be nice to be able to see how a site renders in
    a different version of Contribute, but I don't think Adobe will ever create
    such a tool, since there interest is in getting everyone to upgrade to CS4,
    which I still haven't done by the way...

    ThinkInk Guest

  8. #8

    I agree. In the past I have found a few changes within the CSS allowed
    dreamweaver to render the WYSIWYG a lot better. In all honesty I haven't tried
    with Contribute but find on many occasions even with dreamweaver it doesn't
    look right but accept that the layout view doesn't always cut the mustard. As
    long as it looks right in the browsers is my bosses concern. For a while we
    did adopt the philosophy of "if it works in DW in works in everything" but
    frankly when you are on a deadline i'd rather make it work in browsers as DW
    isn't what the user will view the page in!

    Perhaps the later CS4's products do use the browsers more, I think I heard a
    rumour of that too.

    I'm just keen on improving Contribute and DW collaboration. in my opinion
    there is work to be done for jobs where both are used. One annoying "feature"
    I found yesterday was Contribute change code outside of editable templates...
    FUN!

    constant_flux Guest