Professional Web Applications Themes

Disabled Administrative Account - Windows Setup, Administration & Security

I've got a user who, on his home machine, has disabled the Administrator account which of course is the only account on the machine. Now there seems to be no way to get into the machine. I've tried using a win2000 CD and going to the recovery console which allows me a command line interface to the file system but I'm not sure what to do from there. I tried creating a new directory under doents and settings and then copying the ntuser.dat, .dat.log and .ini hoping that I could then log into the new acct but to no avail. ...

  1. #1

    Default Disabled Administrative Account

    I've got a user who, on his home machine, has disabled
    the Administrator account which of course is the only
    account on the machine. Now there seems to be no way to
    get into the machine.

    I've tried using a win2000 CD and going to the recovery
    console which allows me a command line interface to the
    file system but I'm not sure what to do from there.

    I tried creating a new directory under doents and
    settings and then copying the ntuser.dat, .dat.log
    and .ini hoping that I could then log into the new acct
    but to no avail.

    I don't suppose there's an easy way to edit whatever
    registry file is telling the OS that the acct is
    disabled.....

    support.microsoft.com says there's no way to recover from
    this situation but I have to believe that there actually
    is. Any suggestions?

    -Brian Sponcil

    Network Administrator
    Belin-Blank Center
    The University of Iowa
    Brian Sponcil Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Disabled Administrative Account

    Greetings --

    Reinstall.

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    [url]http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm[/url]
    [url]http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html[/url]
    ----
    having both at once. -- RAH

    "Brian Sponcil" <brian-sponciluiowa.edu> wrote in message

    > I've got a user who, on his home machine, has disabled
    > the Administrator account which of course is the only
    > account on the machine. Now there seems to be no way to
    > get into the machine.
    >
    > I've tried using a win2000 CD and going to the recovery
    > console which allows me a command line interface to the
    > file system but I'm not sure what to do from there.
    >
    > I tried creating a new directory under doents and
    > settings and then copying the ntuser.dat, .dat.log
    > and .ini hoping that I could then log into the new acct
    > but to no avail.
    >
    > I don't suppose there's an easy way to edit whatever
    > registry file is telling the OS that the acct is
    > disabled.....
    >
    > support.microsoft.com says there's no way to recover from
    > this situation but I have to believe that there actually
    > is. Any suggestions?
    >

    > -Brian Sponcil
    >
    > Network Administrator
    > Belin-Blank Center