Professional Web Applications Themes

Disapearing Palettes - MAKING ME CRAZY! - Adobe Illustrator Windows

This is really starting to irritate me. Every fourth or fifth time I open Illustrator (CS2) the palettes have dissapeared, i.e. I have to go to the Window drop down and re-open everything on the artboard. Or, sometimes, only a couple of them are gone - which is only SLIGHTLY less irritating. What's going on here? Have I bought another shamefully untested product after being assured it was SO MUCH BETTER than CS? This is ridiculous. Please advise if you know what's happening here. +corwin...

  1. #1

    Default Disapearing Palettes - MAKING ME CRAZY!

    corwin_hession-herzog@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Disapearing Palettes - MAKING ME CRAZY!

    C+:

    Set 'em up one more time and make your aiprefs R/O.

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  3. #3

    please de-acronym R/O.

    gracias.

    C++
    corwin_hession-herzog@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Bert means read only so it can't be corrupted. steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Note that if you make your Prefs file read-only, you will not be able to change any preferences and it will not remember anything about how you last used any command or palette. (The Preferences file saves a lot more than the stuff that is in the Preferences dialog. It saves every application-wide setting that gets remembered between sessions.)
    Teri Guest

  6. #6

    This is touching upon one of the thoroughly discussed issues: when you face AIPrefs corruption rarely or regularly, should you avoid loss of preferences by by:

    a) Backup saving or
    b) Making the AIPrefs Read-Only?

    My advice is to:

    Use a) if you (want to be able to) change your settings, saving different backups if you (want to be able to) work with or switch between different sets of settings. I make regular changes and use a); and I, like Teri, have never experienced a crash except when I have corrupted the AIPrefs file intentionally.

    Use b) if you have developed a final set of preferences, especially if Illy crashes often, and/or if it takes hours to rebuild (in which case I recommend at least one backup in the PC and at least one outside), and live with the error message at each closing of Illy. Bert uses b); if he starts rebuilding when the sun sets in Philadelphia he may just have completed it by dusk in Anchorage.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    if he starts rebuilding when the sun sets in Philadelphia he may just
    have completed it by dusk in Anchorage.

    Hey, Jacob, I know what I want and I know where I want it. I don't need no stinkin' workspaces...

    Corwin:

    My aiprefs has been read-only since I don't remember when. I very occasionally make a change to me work area and trash and replace aiprefs when that happens...

    Bert
    Bert Guest