Professional Web Applications Themes

Disappearing embedded graphics (Illustrator CS) - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

I have noticed that some of my files are missing parts... I have been creating large display doents and after I save them, close, and reopen them, some of my graphics have vanished without a trace. The leyers I built are there but they are empty. At firts I thoght that it was me, too much work, long hours, etc. But after this happened more that just a couple of times, I decide to ask you all about it... Thanks. Andres Cathalifaud...

  1. #1

    Default Disappearing embedded graphics (Illustrator CS)

    Cathalifaud@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    I think you have to be more specific about what you mean.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    "Vanished without a trace": I mean just that. the contents of a leyer are gone. It looks as if when I have an embedded graphic in a leyer, sometimes, illustrator will simply delete the image and any other info on that leyer (text for example).

    This is the only way I can explain why some of my layout is gone after I reopen a file.

    Another clue: This has happened to files that were originally cretaed in AI 9, an in one instance, on a file that I exported as AI9. Both the exported file AND the CS file were missing parts after I reopened them.

    Voila, there you have it.

    A.C.
    Cathalifaud@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Check your links palette to see if they are there. If you moved any of the files the link may be broken. You can re-link from the Links palette, the button to do that is at the bottom of the palette. When you place a file you can choose to link or embed the file in the dialog.
    Brian_Battles@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks Brian. I am aware of the functioning of the links palette as well as with embedded vs. linked files. The files were embedded from the moment I created the files. Eventually, I dumped the "misbehaving" files and recreated them from scratch. Apparently, the problem is solved and I have not been able to repeat the event that moved me to start this topic. My conclusion? Corrupted data.Thanks for your help. A. Cathalifaud
    Cathalifaud@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I have a client seeing the same behavior. Creates a complex illustration, with text and graphics (sometimes 5 Mb in size, sometimes 50 Mb). Will save. Reopens file, and some elements (usually the text) doesn't show up on the screen. Quit Illustrator, relaunch -- text is missing. Open the same file a few days later, text IS there.

    Can see no reason for this behavior. Happens on a G5 2 GHz DP, 2.5 Gb of RAM, with 10.3.3 installed and plenty of free hard drive space. Naturally, when I see the doent, the file opens properly. Takes a long time to proportionally rescale it if we play with it (5 Mb file -- sometimes as long as a minute).

    Will update to 10.3.4, but as the client is a longtime Illustrator 9 user, he's no dummy. Other clients report instability with Illustrator, too -- but those details are for another post. What gives? Why would a program only display some elements of a design, but text might be missing / not display? From the behavior, clearly the data for the text is retained in the file -- so it would have to be something in Illustrator itself. Adobe tech support was unhelpful -- pointing fingers at Apple. All other applications function properly on this system.
    afterhours@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    OK, while we are on a roll -- Adobe engineers can blame Apple for this all they want, but it is Illustrator that is either not saving files properly or corrupting already saved data when said file is reopened. Case in point from my customer:

    Just opened a 24 Mb file created in 11.0.0 (CS -- hey adobe, stupid version naming scheme, go back to normal numbers in the name.).

    Now this design is corrupt. Upon opening, a nasty dialog displays:

    Can't open the illustration. The illustration contains an illegal or misplaced operator.

    Offending operator: 'm'
    Context:

    '"4%%EndData
    XH
    %AI5_EndRaster
    300 Ar

    and an OK button to close the box. Select OK and I get a blank window.

    You don't want to know how many hours of work this file represents. This package is broken and worse than useless for us: it is a financial liability now. We have to do most of our work in Illustrator 9 in OS 9.

    Be very, very afraid of Illustrator 11.0.0
    afterhours@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I am sorry to hear about your data loss. Have you tried distilling the corrupted ai file? I have rescued files tat way. Run the file trough Distiller and open the resulting PDF in illustrator 9 or 10. You can also try to open the bad ai file in Acrobat and resave it as an EPS doc. Best of luck!

    A. Cathalifaud
    Cathalifaud@adobeforums.com Guest