Professional Web Applications Themes

disappearing text - overflow matter - Adobe Indesign Windows

has anyone seen this issue: when fit-to-content is used on a text headline, when the page is opened subsequently, the text has become overmatter and the text boxt is empty! wondered if there was a "rounding" error if a user saved with mm's and then another user opened with points as there calculation is done to the 1000th of a mill etc....

  1. #1

    Default disappearing text - overflow matter

    has anyone seen this issue:

    when fit-to-content is used on a text headline, when the page is opened subsequently, the text has become overmatter and the text boxt is empty!

    wondered if there was a "rounding" error if a user saved with mm's and then another user opened with points as there calculation is done to the 1000th of a mill etc.
    Jonathan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: disappearing text - overflow matter

    No, I have never seen this. I can't imagine the chosen measurement units have any influence: these are only for input and display. ID will convert them to what it uses internally, no matter which measurement unit you chooses.

    How much larger do you have to make the box to fit the text in it?

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    about 2 or 3 thousands of whatever unit is in use.

    lets never underestimate the "pentium bugs" of this world!"
    Jonathan Guest

  4. #4

    lets never underestimate the "pentium bugs" of this world!"

    That's why I don't use one :-).

    Seriously, I have never seen this. Maybe someone else.

    If it is consistent, you could always make the box a little larger (although that is annoying).

  5. #5

    no, its not consistent on every text box, but if you search for "disappear" in this forum, some people have similar experiences. initially i put it down to finger trouble from the users, but it occurs to regularly to be anything like that.

    how it manifests itself: on opening a doc the text box of the incorrect version is 2 or 3 thousandths of a mill smaller than when it was saved and closed, and now the headline that was in a text box that had "fit to content" set now busts the measure and is shown as overmatter.

    its not different cuts of same font on different pc's either!

    i'm stumped.
    Jonathan Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Stan_Wetherald@adobeforums.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    A real shot in the dark here, but I wonder if it has to do with stroke alignment. I know you probably haven't stroked the boxes, but changing the alignment from on position to another has the bad habit of changing the box size.

    Peter
    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    the users say they haven't done this, and its as plain vanilla as possible.
    Jonathan Guest

  9. #9

    stan:

    the wierd thing is that it fits on user one's pc - it busts on user 2's pc, but if its sent back to user 1 its still breaks the measure.

    my guess is this rules out font and driver changes, we're familiar with the scenario where my rockwell doesn't match your rockwell and the text reflows, but here we have identical font loads, and only one printer, however its become overmatter on the page, so i don't think that its got as far as the printer.
    Jonathan Guest

  10. #10

    Does this happen with all fonts, or just specific ones, and if specific, which ones?

    The fact that it happens after a machine transfer makes me suspicious about "identical" font loads.