Dave Uhring wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 00:05:43 +0930, Arthur Marsh wrote:
>

>>I remember secure telnet being discussed at the 1993 Australian Unix
>>Users Group conference and being available in recent versions of
>>C-Kermit and Kermit 95 (Kermit also supports secure ftp, see
>>[url]http://www.columbia.edu/kermit[/url]). Secure telnet servers can be configured
>>to disable non-secure telnet access.
>

> That version of telnet does not appear to be available from Sun in
> Solaris. Nor is it implemented in Windows, any Linux distro or any BSD.
> Of what relevance is your comment to my previous statement.
>

>>Nevertheless, the "telnet is [always] insecure" bigots win out.
>

> Get Sun to adopt and implement it and I'll retract my statement.

Yes, it would be good for Sun and others to implement or supply the SRP
enabled telnet and ftp for Solaris. (Back in the days when Novell owned
UnixWare, some Novell staff provided help with things like recommended
library search orders so that free software would compile and run well
under UnixWare). At present the SRP telnet and ftp can be built on
Solaris using the GNU toolchain, some libraries like zlib and libdes,
OpenSSL 0.9.7b from [url]www.openssl.org[/url], SRP 2.0.0 from srp.stanford.edu for
the SRP-enabled ftp and telnet clients and servers, and C-Kermit from
[url]www.columbia.edu/kermit[/url]

Regards,

Arthur.