Professional Web Applications Themes

Disc Utilities didn't help - Mac Applications & Software

In article <fu-berlin.de>, Irene Friedman <com> wrote:   Answered in your other post of the same message. If you must post to more than one group, please learn how to crosspost properly. -- Tom Stiller PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3 7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Disc Utilities didn't help

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  2. #2

    >I an not impressed by Disc Utilities.

    No utility can fix this kind of damage.

    An extent allocation file is a way to keep track of files that are fragmented.

    When you save a file on disk, the file does not necessarily all get stored in
    the same place. Part of the file might be in one place, part of the file in
    another place, part of the file in another place still.

    Each part is called an "extent."

    "Overlapped extents" means that you have two files (or more) that have pieces
    which were both saved on the same spot of the disk. This means, one file has
    overwritten part of the other. This means at least one file, and possibly more,
    is destroyed.

    The computer can not tell which file is damaged and which file overwrote the
    other; therefore, the computer can not fix this problem.

    A commercial disk repair program like DiskWarrior will tell you the names of
    the files, so that you can open the files and see which ones are ruined. But
    nothing can fix the files. You have already lost data; if you do not use a
    commercial program to locate and delete the offending file(s), you will almost
    certainly lose more data.

    Sorry...

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    Tacit Guest

  3. #3

    > Answered in your other post of the same message. If you must post to

    Thank you for helpful reply in the other NG.

    Is there any on line guide to ppoper crossposting? I am willing to
    learn.

    Your identity includes "grumpy old man"-- well, I am a grandmother and
    doing my very best to keep up-- but would appreciate a hint along with
    the reprimand.
    Irene Guest

  4. #4

    IAfter I deleted all but one of the files related to the overlap errors,
    fsck found the same nodes overlapping. So I bought Disk Warrior which
    found 7 overlapped files (FSCK found only 4) and it rewrote the
    directory. Then it went to remount the Hard Drive and failed. Error
    2168 first time, then 2168 and 4203.

    It said to repeat the process. After three times I called Alsoft (the
    maker of DW) but they were on Central Time and had just closed when it
    was 3 pm here. I ran DW again and the same error prevented re-mounting
    my hard drive. I restarted the computer as the CD said to by clicking on
    on screen button...and restarted from the darn CD, so I ran DW again as
    long as it was already launched. This time it worked!!!!

    I restarted again holding down the touch pad clicker...( the closest I
    have to a mouse button) --still restarted from CD. So I ejected the CD
    and restarted. That resulted in a flashing ? for several seconds
    followed by the proper start up!!!!

    I'm glad DW fixed the problem but I am not happy with how it worked.
    Irene Guest

  5. #5

    Irene Friedman <com> wrote:

    Try callng Alsoft again today Irene. The only glitch I know of with DW
    3.0 at the moment is that is will hang on automatic restart on some
    systems (like mine of course). No big deal though.

    But more important, you could tell them about your overlapping files,
    because overlapping files are NOT NORMAL and there's often something
    causing them. Like with me on OS 7 or 8 SpeedDoubler/RAMdoubler was the
    culprit. If there's one place that can tell you more and perhaps trouble
    shoot is at Alsoft's.

    Sorry for not reading the whole thread, but I take it you're talking
    DiskWarrior 3 with OSX? Not DW3 with OS9...

    --
    Have fun, Hermie

    September 15,1996
    Addictive Guest

  6. #6

    In article <fu-berlin.de>,
    Irene Friedman <com> wrote:

    > Thank you for helpful reply in the other NG.
    >
    > Is there any on line guide to ppoper crossposting? I am willing to
    > learn.[/ref]

    An earlier reply covered this item.

    I may indeed be "grumpy", but there's nothing in my identity that says
    anything about that. :-)

  7. #7

    In article
    <comcast.giganews.com>,
    Tom Stiller <net> wrote:

    So what about your X-Face?
    --
    Lambert meis
    Lambert Guest

  8. #8

    On 8/5/03 9:43 AM, in article t-online.com,
    "Lambert meis" <org> wrote:

    > So what about your X-Face?[/ref]

    How does one use an X-Face in Entourage?

    Robert Guest