Professional Web Applications Themes

Disc utilities didn't fix "overlapped extent allocation files" - Mac Applications & Software

I had run fsck a few times and it failed to repair "overlapped extent allocation files" 202329d 216082d 167120d 24598d Since I had read that the only way to repair those was to boot from the CD and use Disc Utility I tried that. It found only those same errors and after three go rounds, still found them so it clearly didn't repair them even if said "disc has been repaired." I had it "repair permissions" next and it seemed very busy with that. Then it said all were repaired and I didn't try that again. (What are permissions?) I ...

  1. #1

    Default Disc utilities didn't fix "overlapped extent allocation files"

    I had run fsck a few times and it failed to repair "overlapped extent
    allocation files"
    202329d
    216082d
    167120d
    24598d

    Since I had read that the only way to repair those was to boot from the
    CD and use Disc Utility I tried that. It found only those same errors
    and after three go rounds, still found them so it clearly didn't repair
    them even if said "disc has been repaired." I had it "repair
    permissions" next and it seemed very busy with that. Then it said all
    were repaired and I didn't try that again. (What are permissions?) I
    then tried Repair disc again and the same overlaps still show.

    Then I quit Disc Utilty and Installer. The screen said that I hadn't
    installed a new system. I could restart from the Install CD by pressing
    C as I restarted or from the exisiting OS on my computer by pressing
    Option as I restarted. I pressed Option...and came to a screen with a
    circular arrow like the reload arrow in Safari and a right pointing
    arrow and two generic pictures labeled INSTALL CD and MACHD. I tried to
    choose the HD but don't think it registered. Nothing happened if I
    clicked the arrows either.

    Then it restarted from the darned CD!

    So I restarted again pressing Option and also pressed shift f12 to eject
    the CD. Then I had the screen with the 2 arrows and only the HD generic
    picture. Then it restarted from my HD and all my stuff was there.

    I an not impressed by Disc Utilities.

    What do those overlaps mean? What can I do about them?
    Irene Guest

  2. #2

    In article <fu-berlin.de>,
    Irene Friedman <com> wrote:

    Permissions are the set of file attributes that determine which users
    can access files and what operations are allowed on them. They have
    nothing whatever to do with the content of the files.

    That's a surprise. Normally only volumes that contain bootable systems
    are represented by those icons. It takes some time for the search for
    startup volumes to complete as indicated by the 'watch" cursor. When
    the cursor reverts to an arrow, one of the icons can be selected by
    clicking on it and the startup process initiated by clicking on the
    right point arrow. Are you sure the search had completed?

    It means that the files in question have been allocated the same disk
    sector or sectors. There is no way to repair the affected files since,
    taken in pairs, at least one of them will have incorrect data recorded
    in the shared sector(s). The easiest thing to do is to copy the files,
    delete the originals, and inspect the copies for damage.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  3. #3

    Tom Stiller <net> wrote:

    Perhaps not. The watch was there but I didn't know that it was
    completing a task.

    After I deleted all but one of the files related to the overlap errors,
    fsck found the same nodes overlapping. So I bought Disk Warrior which
    found 7 overlapped files (FSCK found fewer) and it rewrote the
    directory. Then it went to remount the Hard Drive and failed. Error
    2168 first time, then 2168 and 4203.

    It said to repeat the process. After three times I called Alsoft (the
    maker of DW) but they were on Central Time and had just closed when it
    was 3 pm here. I ran DW again and the same error prevented re-mounting
    my hard drive. I restarted the computer as the CD said to by clicking on
    on screen button...and restarted from the darn CD, so I ran DW again as
    long as it was already launched. This time it worked!!!!

    I restarted again holding down the touch pad clicker...( the closest I
    have to a mouse button) --still restarted from CD. So I ejected the CD
    and restarted. That resulted in a flashing ? for several seconds
    followed by the proper start up!!!!

    I'm glad DW fixed the problem but I am not happy with how it worked.
    Irene Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Disc utilities didn't fix "overlapped extent allocation fi

    In article <fu-berlin.de>,
    Irene Friedman <com> wrote:

    It can't possibly fix them. This problem happens when the
    pointers for two different files indicate that both files
    include the same sector on disk. Since the fixing utility
    can't tell which file that bit of disk really belongs in,
    it doesn't know which one to change.

    It's possible to write a more helpful program, of course:
    one which would tell you while files need checking, copying
    or deleting, but it's not a problem that can be solved
    without user-intervention.

    Simon Guest