Professional Web Applications Themes

Disk Partition - Windows XP/2000/ME

Purchased a PC with 80 GB with Windows 2000 Professional installed. Hard disk is parttitoned to 50 - 50 (drives C and D). Been advised that it is better to have a single partition with NTFS. Trying to install Windows XP while deleting the Windows 2000 OS and at the same time try to "depatition" the hard disk. Not been able delete the partition at all. XP set up always asks where should it be installed either on C or D, but never gives the choice whether to departition the hard disk into one 80 GB drive. How do I ...

  1. #1

    Default Disk Partition

    Purchased a PC with 80 GB with Windows 2000 Professional
    installed. Hard disk is parttitoned to 50 - 50 (drives C
    and D). Been advised that it is better to have a single
    partition with NTFS. Trying to install Windows XP while
    deleting the Windows 2000 OS and at the same time try
    to "depatition" the hard disk. Not been able delete the
    partition at all. XP set up always asks where should it be
    installed either on C or D, but never gives the choice
    whether to departition the hard disk into one 80 GB drive.
    How do I go about installing XP in place of Windows 2000
    and at the same time delete the partition????
    Thanks for your help.
    S Hebbar Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Disk Partition

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    1. Open your BIOS and set your CD Drive as the first bootable device.
    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP
    [url]http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html[/url]

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. After installing Windows XP, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    7. It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except for you mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.
    After XP is installed, visit the support website of the manufacturer
    of each hardware device to obtain the latest drivers or software
    designed to work with Windows XP.

    --
    Nicholas

    "S Hebbar" <hebbarsbaol.com> wrote in message:

    | Purchased a PC with 80 GB with Windows 2000 Professional
    | installed. Hard disk is parttitoned to 50 - 50 (drives C
    | and D). Been advised that it is better to have a single
    | partition with NTFS. Trying to install Windows XP while
    | deleting the Windows 2000 OS and at the same time try
    | to "depatition" the hard disk. Not been able delete the
    | partition at all. XP set up always asks where should it be
    | installed either on C or D, but never gives the choice
    | whether to departition the hard disk into one 80 GB drive.
    | How do I go about installing XP in place of Windows 2000
    | and at the same time delete the partition????
    | Thanks for your help.
    Nicholas Guest

  3. #3

    When it asks, where you wish to install, press esc, it will take you to a
    partition map where you can delete, create and format partitions.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "S Hebbar" <hebbarsbaol.com> wrote in message
    > Purchased a PC with 80 GB with Windows 2000 Professional
    > installed. Hard disk is parttitoned to 50 - 50 (drives C
    > and D). Been advised that it is better to have a single
    > partition with NTFS. Trying to install Windows XP while
    > deleting the Windows 2000 OS and at the same time try
    > to "depatition" the hard disk. Not been able delete the
    > partition at all. XP set up always asks where should it be
    > installed either on C or D, but never gives the choice
    > whether to departition the hard disk into one 80 GB drive.
    > How do I go about installing XP in place of Windows 2000
    > and at the same time delete the partition????
    > Thanks for your help.

    Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP-Windows Shell/User\) Guest

  4. #4

    keep the separate drives!!!! it helps if you need to
    reinstall, you won't have to scrounge for lost data if
    you keep it on the separate drive.

    jello Guest