Professional Web Applications Themes

Disk Space Problems With MX7 - Coldfusion Server Administration

I recently upgraded from CF5 to CFMX7 and have noticed an increasingly smaller amount of disk space available on the C drive. Having checked page file setting etc etc I found that the offending directory is the C:\CFUSIONMX7\wwwroot\web-inf\cfclasses. This now contains over 100,000 files and is over 1 GIG in size. It's so big I cannot use windows explorer to open the directory and neither can I use a command line to access it. Is there any easy way of clearing these class files and how to I stop directory becoming so large in the future. Thankx in Advance Stewart...

  1. #1

    Default Disk Space Problems With MX7

    I recently upgraded from CF5 to CFMX7 and have noticed an increasingly smaller
    amount of disk space available on the C drive. Having checked page file setting
    etc etc I found that the offending directory is the
    C:\CFUSIONMX7\wwwroot\web-inf\cfclasses. This now contains over 100,000 files
    and is over 1 GIG in size. It's so big I cannot use windows explorer to open
    the directory and neither can I use a command line to access it. Is there any
    easy way of clearing these class files and how to I stop directory becoming so
    large in the future.

    Thankx in Advance
    Stewart

    ssri-stew Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Disk Space Problems With MX7

    Stewart,

    These are the Java class files created by CFMX when it compiles your CFML
    templates. You can remove them like this:

    Go to the ColdFusion administrator and under the server settings there is a
    "Save class files to disk" checkbox. Turn it off.

    Shutdown CFMX, remove the cfclasses directory, recreate it (empty) and start
    the server.

    The class files will be cached in memory and regenerated if/when the server
    is restarted.

    --
    Tom Jordahl
    Macromedia Server Development

    Tom Jordahl Guest

  3. #3

    Tom thanks for that. I have managed to remove all the class files from the
    web-inf\cfclasses\ directory and have turned off the save class files to disk
    option. Is there an option within CF to allow class files to be saved to disk
    only for specific CF applications? I have 2 or 3 small apps where saving class
    files to disk wouldn't be an issue and a monstrously large app contains well in
    excess of 500,000 CFML pages. It was this app that was causing the disk space
    issue in the first place.

    Regards Stew :)

    ssri-stew Guest

  4. #4

    No, I am sorry it is an all or nothing switch.

    Running with save class files turned off is really the best way to run, in
    development or production. The overhead in creating the class the first
    time is minimal and they live in memory till a server restart.

  5. #5

    You must be kidding. Do know the performance ramifications of recompiling your
    files? If you have a large site with over 1GB of files, they won't possibly
    fit in memory, not to mention the performance hit the first time they compile.

    thp Guest

  6. #6

    ssri-stew - my advice would be to uninstall and reinstall ColdFusion on
    another drive with more capacity. It's generally bad form to install an
    app/web server on the same partition as your operating system.

    ke4pym Guest

  7. #7

    One of the default JVM Arguments passed to the jvm when ColdFusion is started
    is:

    -XX:MaxPermSize=128m

    This means that the "permanent generation" portion of the memory which
    ColdFusion uses can only be 128MB in size. It is this permanent generation
    which stores your class files in memory. So by default, no you can't store 1GB
    of class files in memory.

    RelentlessMike Guest