Professional Web Applications Themes

DiskSuite questions - Sun Solaris

DiskSuite questions I want to start experimenting with DiskSuite 4.2.1 on an Ultra 10 running Sol 8. I have managed to get my hands on the following hardware: 1 x Ultra SCSI Multipack 2 x 9g Gb 7.2rpm disks 2 x 9 Gb 10k rpm disks 2 x 18 Gb 10k rpm disks 2 x 36 Gb 10k rpm disks 1 x Sunswift PCI scsi/hme I have trawled Sunsolve and google and had no joy seeking answers to the following questions: 1. Will the 10k rpm disks work effectively in this multipack? The Sun Systems Handbook only refers to 7.2k ...

  1. #1

    Default DiskSuite questions

    DiskSuite questions

    I want to start experimenting with DiskSuite 4.2.1 on an Ultra 10
    running Sol 8.

    I have managed to get my hands on the following hardware:

    1 x Ultra SCSI Multipack
    2 x 9g Gb 7.2rpm disks
    2 x 9 Gb 10k rpm disks
    2 x 18 Gb 10k rpm disks
    2 x 36 Gb 10k rpm disks
    1 x Sunswift PCI scsi/hme

    I have trawled Sunsolve and google and had no joy seeking answers to the
    following questions:

    1. Will the 10k rpm disks work effectively in this multipack? The Sun
    Systems Handbook only refers to 7.2k disks in these packs.

    2. If the 10k disks function OK what will be the affect of mixing disks
    of different speeds when it comes to reading and writing from them in a
    cat, stripe or mirror scenario.

    I suspect that Software will cause data read and write speed to be
    determined by the speed of the slowest disk.

    3. I need to learn more about Data Storage but canít afford to attend
    formal courses. I plan to spend time mastering DisksSuite before
    progressing to Veritas.

    Any information or pointers to indicative reading will be much
    appreciated.

    This is request only for personal home/self education use and not for a
    production system, if that makes any difference.

    Thanks

    Jon

    Due to the mixed Hardware/Software/OE nature of this request, I am
    posting to more than one group.

    Thanks again

    John Stafford Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: DiskSuite questions

    In article <3F0477FB.DA6F6D18yahoo.REMOVE.co.uk>,
    John Stafford <jongoodlife.u-net.com> wrote:
    >DiskSuite questions
    >1. Will the 10k rpm disks work effectively in this multipack? The Sun
    >Systems Handbook only refers to 7.2k disks in these packs.
    You may have heating issues.
    >2. If the 10k disks function OK what will be the affect of mixing disks
    >of different speeds when it comes to reading and writing from them in a
    >cat, stripe or mirror scenario.
    RPM differences will be least felt in a concat. In a concat, data is
    only written to one disk at a time.

    It can make performance a bit funky, particularly in a mirror. In general
    you want mirrored drives to be mirrors of each other (same geometry, same
    speed, same vendor, etc.)
    >I suspect that Software will cause data read and write speed to be
    >determined by the speed of the slowest disk.
    Pretty much correct.

    >3. I need to learn more about Data Storage but canít afford to attend
    >formal courses. I plan to spend time mastering DisksSuite before
    >progressing to Veritas.
    >

    >Any information or pointers to indicative reading will be much
    >appreciated.
    docs.sun.com

    -tom

    --

    "You can only be -so- accurate with a claw-hammer." --me
    Thomas H Jones II Guest

  3. #3

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 19:37:47 +0100, John Stafford wrote:
    > DiskSuite questions
    >
    > I want to start experimenting with DiskSuite 4.2.1 on an Ultra 10
    > running Sol 8.
    >
    > I have managed to get my hands on the following hardware:
    >
    > 1 x Ultra SCSI Multipack
    > 2 x 9g Gb 7.2rpm disks
    > 2 x 9 Gb 10k rpm disks
    > 2 x 18 Gb 10k rpm disks
    > 2 x 36 Gb 10k rpm disks
    > 1 x Sunswift PCI scsi/hme
    >
    > I have trawled Sunsolve and google and had no joy seeking answers to the
    > following questions:
    >
    > 1. Will the 10k rpm disks work effectively in this multipack? The Sun
    > Systems Handbook only refers to 7.2k disks in these packs.
    >
    > 2. If the 10k disks function OK what will be the affect of mixing disks
    > of different speeds when it comes to reading and writing from them in a
    > cat, stripe or mirror scenario.
    >

    > I suspect that Software will cause data read and write speed to be
    > determined by the speed of the slowest disk.
    >

    > 3. I need to learn more about Data Storage but canít afford to attend
    > formal courses. I plan to spend time mastering DisksSuite before
    > progressing to Veritas.
    >

    > Any information or pointers to indicative reading will be much
    > appreciated.
    >

    > This is request only for personal home/self education use and not for a
    > production system, if that makes any difference.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jon
    >
    > Due to the mixed Hardware/Software/OE nature of this request, I am
    > posting to more than one group.
    >
    > Thanks again

    try docs.sun.com and search on disksuite. There is a "user" and
    "reference" manual in PDF format Hope you have broadband.
    Tom Hamilton Guest

  4. #4

    John Stafford wrote:
    > I have trawled Sunsolve and google and had no joy seeking answers to the
    > following questions:
    >
    > 1. Will the 10k rpm disks work effectively in this multipack? The Sun
    > Systems Handbook only refers to 7.2k disks in these packs.
    Yes, they should. Note that your Multipack only holds 6 disks.
    So you have 2 spare. I'd leave the 2 7.2K RPM disks out. Make
    sure your environment is reasonably cool so you don't experience
    heat related issues.
    > 2. If the 10k disks function OK what will be the affect of mixing disks
    > of different speeds when it comes to reading and writing from them in a
    > cat, stripe or mirror scenario.
    Performance will be affected. With mirroring, you could favour
    the faster disks for reads. Note, see the above comment which
    means this may not be an issue but it might be an idea to test
    any setup with the slower disks too and make performance
    comparisons. Gathering some metrics and publishing them might
    be useful for others.
    > 3. I need to learn more about Data Storage but canít afford to attend
    > formal courses. I plan to spend time mastering DisksSuite before
    > progressing to Veritas.
    Good idea. The DiskSuite docs are fairly good. If you get the
    SVM docs for solaris 9 note that the metadb's are larger in
    size than in your version and earlier (up from nearly 1K to
    nearly 8K).

    -am © 2003
    Anthony Mandic Guest

  5. #5

    I'm just learning about using DiskSuite and setting up file systems
    on UNIX in general but I have a few questions on preferred setup
    methods, I know you need to leave space on one of the disk partition
    for the metadb to use which gives you six others to use for the actual
    data area.. For now this is just for testing but I still would like to
    know best setup procedures. I have 2 18G drives that I'm going to make
    a single file system on for now, so I'm guessing that I'd format 1
    cylinder (c?t?d?s7) on both drives for the state database s and
    then format the other 7505 cylinders (c?t?d?s0) on both for the actual
    data..

    Then use:
    metadb -a -f -c 1 c?txd?s7 c?tyd?s7
    metainit d0 1 1 c?txd?s0 c?tyd?s0
    mkfs -F ufs /dev/md/dsk/d0

    When do you use more than 1 partition on drives?? (making smaller file
    systems?? making more than one like when setting up the boot disk, /
    /usr /var /opt etc.)

    I've looked through SUNs online manuals on DiskSuite but haven't found
    a lot on formatting the disks for different situations, I would like
    to get advice from experienced users..

    Andrew Longtin
    SunGard Securities Processing
    Andrew Longtin Guest

  6. #6

    Hello

    I assume from you post that you have basic understanding on what SDS does.

    You are correct, you have to have a small slice on your HD to set up
    SDS's s, 2-3 MB is suficient for most operations.

    For optimal performance, Sun recomends you set up the SDS's s on
    the first cilinder of the Disk but, the performance increase is near to
    null so, the end of the Disk works just has well.

    Your commands are basically correct but, I wouldn't do it like that.
    It's harder and you don't get your system well doented.
    In /usr/opt/SUNWmd/sbin (until solaris 7) or /usr/lvm (Solaris 8 and 9)
    you have a file called md.tab

    See the examples and add to the end of your file your configuration.
    I don't have any example of a md.tab here but, It should go something
    like this

    ####### Begin of md.tab ##################
    #
    # The s slices
    mddb01 /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s7
    #
    # The first sub-mirror
    d50 1 1 /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0
    #
    # The second sub mirror
    d70 1 1 /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0
    #
    # The mirror itself
    d0 -m d50
    #
    ###### End of md.tab ##########################

    Now, in the shell, you do:
    #metadb -a -f -c 3 mddb01

    To create 3 s in each slice (it's a better idea to create 2 or 3
    s, not just one)

    #metainit d50
    #metainit d70
    #metainit d0

    Now you have your one way mirror seted up. This is important if you
    already have data on the file system. Then you can go on and attach your
    second mirror, like this:

    # metattach d0 d70

    and, you can monitor your sync by doing

    #metastat |grep pro

    Remember that, if you are mirroring the root disk, you have to do some
    extra steps:

    #metaroot d0
    (this changes your /etc/vfstab and /etc/system to make the system boot
    from the mirror; can't remember if inittab is also changed)
    edit /etc/vfstab manually to change the mount points of all your file
    systems ( /var, swap and any others) from /dev/dsk/c?t*d0s! to
    /dev/md/dsk/c?t*d0s!

    And reboot to ensure sane operation.

    some extra points you should be carefull:
    - Be consistent, define an SDS numbering structure and always applie it
    - Some people will tell you not to mirror swap because it makes it
    slower. this is partially true but, not mirroring swap is half way
    trough corrupting data, crashing your system and, for sure, crashing
    your application
    - SDS has patches (depending on the version) and, the SDS patch is not
    on the recommended cluster. Contact your sun reseler to obtain it.

    About your Disk's layout. When I have no idea about the application I
    usualy go with separating / /var and swap. If I do know what app will be
    installed in the machine, The Application is king, the Application knows
    best but, some general rules still apply:
    - Swap should be the size of the RAM (or greater) to ensure a savecore
    is made when your system crashes.
    - /var should be big enouth to acomodate several days of system logs,
    plus allow for OS and patches upgrades and sun packages installation

    For more information, there are acouple of good articles about File
    System Layout on Sun Blueprints site.

    About tips on what Disks configuration to do, Adrian roft's books
    and articles about RAID are the best place to start (and to end, also).

    //JaimeC

    Andrew Longtin wrote:
    > I'm just learning about using DiskSuite and setting up file systems
    > on UNIX in general but I have a few questions on preferred setup
    > methods, I know you need to leave space on one of the disk partition
    > for the metadb to use which gives you six others to use for the actual
    > data area.. For now this is just for testing but I still would like to
    > know best setup procedures. I have 2 18G drives that I'm going to make
    > a single file system on for now, so I'm guessing that I'd format 1
    > cylinder (c?t?d?s7) on both drives for the state database s and
    > then format the other 7505 cylinders (c?t?d?s0) on both for the actual
    > data..
    >
    > Then use:
    > metadb -a -f -c 1 c?txd?s7 c?tyd?s7
    > metainit d0 1 1 c?txd?s0 c?tyd?s0
    > mkfs -F ufs /dev/md/dsk/d0
    >
    > When do you use more than 1 partition on drives?? (making smaller file
    > systems?? making more than one like when setting up the boot disk, /
    > /usr /var /opt etc.)
    >
    > I've looked through SUNs online manuals on DiskSuite but haven't found
    > a lot on formatting the disks for different situations, I would like
    > to get advice from experienced users..
    >

    > Andrew Longtin
    > SunGard Securities Processing
    Jaime Cardoso Guest